Author Topic: my elusive great grandmother  (Read 1762 times)

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Elias Saundie (Soundie) and Jane Heeley
    • View Profile
my elusive great grandmother
« on: Thursday 30 September 04 00:53 BST (UK) »
I have posted before about being unable to find my elusive great grandmothers marriage to Elias the norwegian seaman and about having spent a fortune trawling through various indexes on line, well I have just discovered she was married before. I found a marriage on free bmd of a Jane Heeley in Liverpool in 1875 and looked it up this week at the records office just to rule it out. imagine my surprise to find it was her after all, she married a John Jones in April 1875.

Now I just have to work out if he died or did she just take up with Elias as I still can't find a marriage for them. She had her first child with Elias in march 1878 so must have met him at least 9 months before  ::) making it june 1877. This only gives a relatively small time slot for one to have died and to have met the other one.

What I am not sure of is why on all her childrens baptisms did she put formerley Heeley not Jones or is that the usual way to do it. If he had died would she not acknowledge it by using his name so does this make it more likely that she was just living with Elias and using her maiden completely ignoring the marriage in between. Also why did she marry John and later in 1902 marry again stating she was a widow and using Elias name Saunde . Why not marry him in the middle? So many questions....

Donna
Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.  (and eventually in Ireland) :-)

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
Re: my elusive great grandmother
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 September 04 06:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Munchies ;D

maybe there was some sort of a trend around this time as I have almost exactly the same situation with my great grandmother!

On the 1871 census she is the wife of George Fisher.
They had 4 children and the birth certificates give her name as Caroline Pitts formerly Fisher. I cannot find a marriage for them.

I had a terrible job finding her in 1881 as she and the 4 children appear under her maiden name Pitts -  and she is recorded as a widow and has another child.

By a sheer fluke I discovered that there was another entry for the same house and she was actually living with a Richard Lock. I sent for the birth certificate of the youngest child and discovered he was Richard Pitts, mother Caroline Pitts, formerly Pitts - and the icing on the cake? father Richard Pitts!!

By 1891 she had another child and this time the birth certificate says - William Lock - mother Caroline Lock, late Fisher, formerly Pitts - father Richard Lock.! I cannot find a marriage for Caroline and Richard Lock either.

As far as I can see my great grandfather, George Fisher, is alive and well on the 1881 census, living as a boarder in Hull, and say's he is unmarried....

There is also a very small time slot between the birth of George Fisher's fourth child and Richard Pitts.

As they say in America - go figure!

Darcy ;)

Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mrs noah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 September 04 21:28 BST (UK) »
I too have a somewhat interesting  great Grandmother!
she appears to have married a Mr Jones in  the 1860's, has 2 children by him and registered with his name!

She then abandons Mr Jones!!!  reverts back to her maiden name! and has a daughter! Father unknown!

On the 1881 Census she is living with a Mr Tranter! she has another child,   surname  Tranter,  and the 3 other children have all taken his name!  BUT she never marries  Mr tranter,  needless to say, when she dies she is registered as his wife!

So.. I ask the question, was she married to Mr Jones! and why did she leave him!!
or if not married why not then marry Mr Tranter?   was he already married!
What a puzzle.

Mrs Noah!
On the canals...Turton, Wood, Mann,Cartwright, Neale, Grainger, Littlemore, Taylor. etc
Black country ancestors.... Beesley, Tranter, Fellows Barker, Perry, Evans, Glover.
also researching Birtwisle and Darby.

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 September 04 21:56 BST (UK) »
Similar problem here as well.   My husband's great grandmother was baptised as Ann Marie and registered as Hannah Maria.   On her daughter's birth certificate she said her married name and maiden names were the same, as if she had married a cousin or something, and her 'husband' was John, but she called herself Maria.   John, a commercial traveller, immediately started to appear as 'deceased' and by the time she died, as Annie Maria, she had suddenly become the widow of Joseph, a joiner journeyman.

I spent 3 years trying to sort out her and her so called husbands, but have eventually decided that her daughter was illegitimate and she invented John as a cover up.   Trouble was that 50 or 60 years down the road, probably when somebody asked her about her long dead husband, she had forgotten who she had invented!   No trace of a marriage to anybody has been found and she went through most of her life as a respectable widow.
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 September 04 22:05 BST (UK) »
seems to be a pattern here :o
my great gran for whom I have never found a marriage!!

her name was according to my grandfathers cert Annie frances Trim formerly Dowell this is 1890 father George Trim master baker

1891 census she is called Ann Dowell son Chas Dowell still living at same address as on cert 129 st pancras road.

On brother Johns cert in 1892 same address father is George Dowell master baker! mother Annie Dowell formerly Frances ???

In 1894 brother George is born his certificate says same as Johns,

who says this is the permissive age?? ::)

sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mrs noah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 September 04 22:20 BST (UK) »
  So I am not alone!
but I think I then go one step further,

My grandfather,,,,,who was Jones
 but called himself Tranter,
 married and had 18 little Tranters
One was my Mama!

she gave me her maiden name as a christian name!
only to descover on her Fathers death that she  wasn't Tranter!!  but Jones!!So much for giving Children lots of Chrsitian names!!!
 :-[

Mrs Noah
On the canals...Turton, Wood, Mann,Cartwright, Neale, Grainger, Littlemore, Taylor. etc
Black country ancestors.... Beesley, Tranter, Fellows Barker, Perry, Evans, Glover.

Offline floridagirl

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 September 04 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Mrs Noah,
Just wondered if you have any links to Liverpool,
I've recently been looking for info for someone named Tranter who married a Victor de Newson Jones who later changed his name to John Edward Jones. I don't know why he changed his name, but I found him on the Gores Directory doing the same job and living at the same address as when he called himself Victor.
Any link at all?
Floridagirl
 ::)
Norris, O'Donnell, McGuinness, Evans, Hendry, Thomas, Perry, Duxbury, Hudson, Guest, Robinson, Shewan, Fullam, Williams, Henderson, Gaffney, Brookes, Bird, Bruffell, Baron, Hase, Jones, Tomkins

Offline mrs noah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 October 04 18:29 BST (UK) »

No,, no links to Liverpool although it is quite close!
 I live in Cheshire,  but am researching my ancestors  in the Midlands!!

Your Jones sounds interesting, what is the connection to you?

Mrs Noah

Offline floridagirl

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 October 04 20:50 BST (UK) »
It was a look up I was doing for someone else and when I saw the names of Tranter and Jones I wondered if there was any link.
Viv
 :)
Norris, O'Donnell, McGuinness, Evans, Hendry, Thomas, Perry, Duxbury, Hudson, Guest, Robinson, Shewan, Fullam, Williams, Henderson, Gaffney, Brookes, Bird, Bruffell, Baron, Hase, Jones, Tomkins