Author Topic: Where's the Social History??  (Read 3448 times)

Offline TaffyBlue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Where's the Social History??
« on: Saturday 25 February 06 22:53 GMT (UK) »
I have read a lot of posts, with people describing their ancestors having worked in certain places earning xx amount of money, and the conditions they lived in were poor, etc.

Where do you find this information?

I am gathering information on my ancestors.  I have the basic BMD info, but would like more interesting facts about what life was like for them, where they worked, what they earned, things that were happening at the time, that sort of thing.

Can anyone suggest any good web sites or books where I can find this information?

Many thanks in advance of your replies  :)
FLOWERDEW - Norfolk, GUERIN - London, HAMER - Wales, MARUBBI - Wales/Italy, HODGES - Cheshire, NOBBS - Yarmouth, Norfolk, WILLIAMS - Caernarfonshire, WILSON - Glasgow, WOOLSEY - Norfolk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline TaffyBlue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Where's the Social History??
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 February 06 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Whoa.  Thanks for the link Kerry.  I just put a surname in and came up with 71 catalogues with multiple hits in each.  Got some reading to do!!  :D
FLOWERDEW - Norfolk, GUERIN - London, HAMER - Wales, MARUBBI - Wales/Italy, HODGES - Cheshire, NOBBS - Yarmouth, Norfolk, WILLIAMS - Caernarfonshire, WILSON - Glasgow, WOOLSEY - Norfolk

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 February 06 23:08 GMT (UK) »
A great deal of social history comes from the censuses.  You can see from the occupations and addresses the sort of lives people lived.  It's relatively easy to get information on a particular area, from books as well as websites, and you can research particular occupations.  You may not get specific information on your people, such as Kerry describes, but you can certainly read around their lives - and that's the most interesting part of family history.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline TaffyBlue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 February 06 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suttontrust,

I have the basic census info, and am trying to fill in the 10 year gaps in between.  But, a good idea to research the actual jobs they did. 

Another reason is because in 1868, for a reason currently unknown to me, my 2xgt grandparents and their new son upped and left Great Yarmouth, Norfolk and headed for Bermondsey, London.

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 February 06 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi TaffyBlue,

That was what really got me going - I started thinking it was all about names and dates!!

And without wishing to plug my website  - ( yes I do!!) - thought I knew everything about the dates my ancestors moved - but never WHY!!

Have a look here and see:
http://batemans-history.rootschat.net/preconceivedideas.htm

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline TaffyBlue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 February 06 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith.

Nice plug!!  ;D

It's a great looking site.  I had a quick read through a couple of bits but will come back to it, as my eyes are going square on Ancestry at the moment!

I read your life story of James Bateman, and that is exactly the sort of thing I would like to do.  I apologise, but I did have a chuckle at your comment about young Eddie, known as Dick, living as their daughter!  ;D  It was also nice to read that they holidayed in Llandudno.  I live in North Wales, and it's unusual to see local place names in stories.

Thanks again.  :)

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 February 06 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi TaffyBlue,

Sorry about the Plug  ;)

But it was only after reading Kerry's website and others - that I realised that I wanted more than just dates and places!!

You can learn a lot at looking at census returns - when/where children were born - (ie so no 1 child was born in one place and others were born elsewhere - so they moved!) why - bigger house - more money? - and off you go on finding the answers!

Llandudno was ALWAYS my favorite place - had some great times there.
Another plug - but just shows you - have a look at the last photo -it looks just like me 50 odd years ago!!
http://batemans-history.rootschat.net/wheniwasyoung.htm

Cheers

Keith

Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 February 06 09:11 GMT (UK) »
As well as A2A the National Archives have more documents http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ which is where I got some discharge papers for soldiers in the Napoleonic Wars.

I'll meet you for a cuppa in Llandudno in July  ;)

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)