Author Topic: St Asaph St George and Abergele  (Read 1822 times)

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
St Asaph St George and Abergele
« on: Monday 27 February 06 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Can the list please correct me on the above areas.

I contacted the Denbighshire council looking for St George's area, an old map showed Abergele and St Asaph only a few miles apart.

I had a reply from them saying St George was in the area of Conway, I have had little luck in finding birth death and wedding certificates but have been looking for them in Denbighshire for people that lived in Abergele and St George.

Thanks Valerie

Offline titch

• RootsChat Member
  • member of both Gwynedd and Clwyd Family History
    • View Profile
Re: St Asaph St George and Abergele
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 February 06 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valerie,
That are used to be Denbighshire, but counties changed in 1973 and then again a few years ago. The area you want is now in the Conwy County (not to be confused with the town) and the registry office you would need would be in Llandudno.  The old county should be used when searching on Ancestry and other such sites of course.
The Registrar's address is
Town Hall
Lloyd Street
Llandudno
Conwy County

I  shall go and look for their telephone number and email address

titch

l
Williams, Roberts, Jones, in Merioneth,  Flintsshire, Denbigh and Caernarfonshire, Hughes in Caernarfonshire and Liverpool , Arnold, Mongomeryshire, Caernarfon and Denbighshire
Higgins in Kent/Essex

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline titch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 February 06 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

The post code is LL30 2UP

Tel: 01492 574043
Fax 01492 574036

There doesnt seem to be an email address.

titch
Williams, Roberts, Jones, in Merioneth,  Flintsshire, Denbigh and Caernarfonshire, Hughes in Caernarfonshire and Liverpool , Arnold, Mongomeryshire, Caernarfon and Denbighshire
Higgins in Kent/Essex

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 March 06 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Titch

So I am correct that in searching for family history, say 1850 /1919 for St George etc it is the Denbighshire area and not conwy?

You always are so helpful

Valerie

Offline titch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 March 06 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valerie
You are very welcome!
For looking up the parish records you would find then in the Denbighshire County record office at Ruthin and at Conwy County Archives in Llandudno. When you have all your info such as names and dates then you will need to apply to the registrar in Llandudno. They are very helpful there.
Have you been on the County records online catalogue?
I am snowed in this week so will not be going to the archive office at Llandudno. i may get there next week if time permits.  I could do a 'look up' for you if you give me the details. I shall get back to you with the web addresses for the online catalogues.

Titch
Higgins in Kent/Essex

Offline titch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 March 06 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Here is the web address for Denbighshire record office.  If you select 'place' and then 'A' it will bring up a list where you will find Aberegele. Select this and you will see all the records held for that area. You could do the same for all place you are researching.
hhtp://www.denbighshire.gov.uk/ll/Lifelong.nsf/($All)/A381242616SABD4D80256FB7005391B8?OpenDocument

Conwy County Archives:
http://www.conwy.gov.uk/doc.asp?cat=785&doc=1098

As well as what you will find on their list they have parish records on film, hard copies to 1812 (CFHS) and census imfo.

I have found staff at both offices to be very helpful, and do help you via email too.
I hope you can unscramble the addresses! We are not allowed to cut and paste here.

Good luck!
Titch
Higgins in Kent/Essex

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 March 06 10:52 GMT (UK) »
the Registrars name is David Rees. He doesn't have an email address.

I think its nice that Llandudno council try and keep itself in the Victorian era, to match the rest of the town.

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II