Author Topic: Spooky experiences while researching  (Read 100255 times)

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Spooky experiences while researching
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 03:54 GMT (UK) »
Youv'e no idea how gratifying it is to see these mails!
Since getting stuck into this Family History lark I've had more wierd 'things' happen than I could poke a stick at,some told in an earlier thread.
The latest one is the smell of face powder,remember that stuff?Doesn't scare me,just the opposite,A smile comes on my face and I feel happy.
Have 'asked for an appearance',but nothing yet.
Only recently found  my lot were from Cornwall,Wales.and Ireland was already known!
Our brain must have all these old memories tucked away in the cellar,(or attic for the posh folk's ;D)are we stirring them up?
I for one, sincerely hope so!!
         Goggy. ;) ;D

Offline sha61

• I have chosen not to receive new notifications
  • RootsChat Extra
  • the reed family (swansea)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 08:32 GMT (UK) »
:D.. some more of spooky experiences, since stating my family tree...
     my reed ancestors are all buried in a cemetery at the end of my street.
       has a child in school, we had to write a poem, about a place in britain,
        mine was about Gloucester, all my smith ancestors were from there..
       in my job as a care assistant in the community, i had to go a elderly man 
      living way out of the area, i usually work in, it turned out that he was, my grandmother`s cousin, whom she had`nt seen since she was a little girl..

these are just a few.. is it coincidence or like someone else said, in the genes  ;)

smith.. reed.. williams.. collier.. griffiths.. swansea

manchester.. clark.. sugg.. roach.. knight

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 16:25 GMT (UK) »
A bit of both I think Sha

has anyone ever thought that this could be why we are here - to bring our past into the future! (bit deep there eh? )

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline nora T

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Last year  my husband and me went to Audlem  to look at the church and the cemetary, as his ggggranfather was christend there,we found a car park, then walked, for a time up a road, till we found the cemetary,  we entered through a large archway,after spending some time looking for Timmis relatives, with not much success, and being hot and tired, we decided to leave, as we were walking off, my husband started walking to the right, I said "thats not the way out, its through the arch",  any way I followed him, and went round a corner, and there he was , sitting on a bench under a tree,on the back of the bench it said, " Come sit and rest awhile with James and Dot Timmis", and just behind the bench was a little gate that lead straight into the car park,in fact our car was the one nearest the gate,we felt very peaceful and calm, and my husband said , he had felt drawn to go the way he did,it was a lovely experience.
i am researching the timmis family salop. staffs, and cheshire, also the culverwell family, congleton cheshire,and staffs.also jervis, jarvis, staffs and wales,also reece, staffs and dudley

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 22:12 GMT (UK) »
They may be gone but they still find ways to let us know they are here helping us

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 March 06 12:48 GMT (UK) »
My Mum often spoke of her sister Annie who ran away from home in the early 1900's and how she would like to find her. Mum died without ever knowing where she went.

My brother is a regular contibutor to the letters page of the Malvern Gazette. The Editor contacted him and asked him to do a bit of research for someone who had sent in a letter seeking their family history.

Guess what - the lady who sent in the letter was seeking our maternal Grandfather, Thomas Voyce, of Hanley Castle, she was the daughter of Annie the long lost sister.

How about that for spooky!

Mike
Beard Voyce, Scrivens in Worcestershire

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 March 06 13:28 GMT (UK) »
That is brilliant Mike

A pity your Mum passed before you found them but I should think your Mum and her sister will be catching up with each other now

Carol

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 March 06 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I was interested to read this thread, as I too have found all sorts of strange coincidences since I started researching my family history...

Because my father was thirty years older than my mother, & died when we were young children, - I knew next to nothing about his side of the family. I got a real shock when I ordered his younger brother's Birth Cert...he had originally been registered as "Alice" Rencella Wilson, on the 8th August 1897. 3 months later, his Birth Cert was ammended as a "Clerical Error" in Column 3, - the "Girl" was crossed out...& "Boy" was added, - & the Alice was changed to Ernest!

When I showed this Birth Cert to my 15yr old daughter Alice, (also born on the 8th August) she said, - "Perhaps I'm his reincarnation, but I stayed an Alice this time!"

So many other strange coincidences have cropped up during my family history research...(too numerous to mention now, - I'll save them for another post:-) It does make you wonder though...

All Best Wishes, Romilly. :)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline annaandchester

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 March 06 18:18 GMT (UK) »
On my 27th birthday I made a breakthrough with some family research and got the shock of my life when I found that the death of my relative happened when he was aged 27 on the same date exactly 40 years earlier.

I had been looking for him for years and it was a lucky link that found him - the family info I had been given was really wrong so I wouldnt have found him any other way.
McLeods - Hartlepool, Liverpool, Inverness(?)<br />Simpsons - Carlisle, Westmorland<br />Harris - Carlisle, Kent<br />Reads - Birmingham and Staffordshire<br />Allens - Marylebone London<br />Zych - Poland
Holmes - Bawdsey, Suffolk
Perks - Hampshire
McQueen - Carlisle
Carrick - Carlisle
Haugh - Carlisle
Irving - Irving
Collett - Bredon, Worcester
Harrison - Carlisle
Knight - Carlisle
Thompson - Carlisle
Johnstone - Carlisle
Rogerson - Dumfries and Carlisle