Author Topic: Spooky experiences while researching  (Read 100273 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Spooky experiences while researching
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 09 March 06 18:25 GMT (UK) »
On my 27th birthday I made a breakthrough with some family research and got the shock of my life when I found that the death of my relative happened when he was aged 27 on the same date exactly 40 years earlier.
I had been looking for him for years and it was a lucky link that found him - the family info I had been given was really wrong so I wouldnt have found him any other way.

Hi,

So many instances like this seem to crop up, don't they?

I discovered, (after much searching) that my father's youngest brother had committed suicide in 1930. Via the National Newspaper Library, I found a Death Entry for him in The South Wales Post; which showed that he was buried in Cwmgelli Cemetery, Swansea. When I phoned the Cemetery to check if there was a grave for him, (there was) the Superintendent pointed out that the date was the 17th October; which was the very date that my late Uncle had been buried on...75yrs earlier!

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 09 March 06 18:56 GMT (UK) »
I went to Canford Cemetary last year with my dad, never been before and was meeting a second cousin for the first time to try and find my great grandads grave.

We got there early and then had a phone call to say that my cousin was gonna be a little late.

So my dad and I decided we would have a look around as we didn't know the plot or area of the grave we were after. thought we would go left first, walked to the end of the path to look at some war graves and turned round and WOAAAH there it was John Woods grave, couldn't believe it, there are 10s of thousands of graves there and we found it in less than five minutes. 

Spooky!!!!

Kev. ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 09 March 06 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Very spooky Kev

Going back to annandchester; I found my Great Grandad's grave and found that he had died exactly 20 years to the day before I got married ( G Grandad 5th Mar 1962 - our wedding 5th March 1982). Then when I loked at his wife's date of death I found she had died on the exact day my sister was 20!

When I found the house he had lived in when he got married I realised that I was stood at the same spot as he would have been exactly 100 years before. He got married 6th November 1905 and I stood there on the 6th November 2005.

My daughter was born on 9th May 1983 ( 09/05/83) and my Mum was born on 5th Sept 1938 ( 05/09/38)

Both my Dad's mum and Mum's mum were born on exactly the same day and their fathers were William Richard  and Richard

Carol

Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline woodydog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 13 March 06 09:53 GMT (UK) »
I've got quite a few tales of coincidences but this has been the spookiest & pleasing at the same time!
I come from a small town in West Yorkshire, when I started looking into the family tree I was lucky in the fact that my dad could recall lots of information which got me back to 1881- as far as he was concerned the family were all from the Halifax/ Bradford area and always had been. When I got further back I found that the family were actually from North Yorkshire- I found them on the 1861 census in a very small village & checked the neighbours on the original image to see if other family lived nearby. Well next door lived a chap called David Constantine- White occupation- potter not my family but you could have knocked me down with a feather- WHY? my next door neighbour at the time was called David Constantine-White  occupation........ go on guess...... Potter. His family as far as he knows were from Bradford, we were great friends from the first time we met-had we met before or is it all in the genes- I don't know but one day I'm going to research his tree in an attempt to find out more!!
Also had a fascination for moles (as in the animals) when I was young (bordering on obsession says my mum)- direct rellie in 1851- molecatcher!!!

Add on - nearly forgot-  another neighbour on the same street as me & David researched his tree- we both knew that his family were from the same small village near Bradford as my ancestors- we always laughed about how they must have known each other, anyway we both moved away from the area but contacted each other now & then- last August I found that his great grandmother married one of my ancestors in the 1890's, I tried & tried to phone him to let him know- after some months I tracked down one of his friends only to find out that he had died of cancer in July- I told him anyway- I hope he can hear me...
Woodydog
Pratt- Catterick/Richmond N.Yorks & Wilsden/Halifax West Yorks
Maylor- Preston/ Poulton Le Fylde
Whitaker- Halifax
Dixon- London & Yorkshire
Booth-Middleton,Oldham,Royton,Lancs
Boyling-Oldham,Royton & Shropshire
Harris- Bradford, Prestwich Manchester
SMITH!! Kirkcaldy, Manchester
Sturgess-  Preston Candover, Hampshire & London
Nixon- London
Walters- London & Hampshire
Settle - Halifax & Brighouse
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sha61

• I have chosen not to receive new notifications
  • RootsChat Extra
  • the reed family (swansea)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 13 March 06 11:22 GMT (UK) »
i`ve just recently, this month started tracing my smith side of my family tree,( i thought i`d leave it untill last as the surname can be quite time consuming),  anyway whilst searching i found that all of my smiths come from gloucseter, now the thing is i born & brought up in swansea , and bought a new car 2 yrs ago, and guess where it was made and registered, yes gloucester, hows that for spooky, i reckon my ancestors were saying , yoo hoo here we are, it was on my car all along... lol
smith.. reed.. williams.. collier.. griffiths.. swansea

manchester.. clark.. sugg.. roach.. knight

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 13 March 06 11:41 GMT (UK) »
C'mon guys,

If you are looking for "spooky" experiences (aka normal coincidences?) you'll surely find them  :P

And it's interesting how very few have been posted on this thread, eh  ;D

Sceptically,

JAP

Offline jakky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 13 March 06 22:26 GMT (UK) »
C'mon Jap,

Have a little faith man, there is a lot out there we have not learned or forgotton how to tap into ;D

Jakky
Thomas.  Wigan Bolton & Fleetwood
Wilcox. Liverpool & Fleetwood.
Lamplough. Hull.
Hallam. Wigan & Bolton
Jordan. Hackney.
Burtonwood. Wigan,Bolton
All Census Look Up Transcriptions Are Crown Copyright.

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 14 March 06 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Well said Jakky

It is amazing what we find when we are looking hard enough and how close they are to what we have already. Many would just say " That's how it goes" but to others like ourselves it is "spooky".

It's a matter of belief and every person has their own opinion which I have to respect regardless of what I think (This is my own personal opinion by the way). When I started this thread I wasn't expecting everyone to kjump up and say "Hey this is what happened to me" and as I have read other posts I have noticed that there are a few other posts similar to it that people have added to already. I never expected them to post the same story twice.

So whoever has posted on here - Welcome to my post and Thank you for posting - I have enjoyed every reply

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline catherine1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 17 March 06 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
I have been reading these stories and found them really interesting.Mine is,i received a marriage certificate  today for my husbands gr grandfather John Russell.marriage 1883.the persons present at the marriage was signed as Harry Gosling my husbands sister is married to a Harry Gosling.
Now i am wondering if that Harry Gosling in 1883 is related to my sister in laws husband.

regards

Kate.