Areas Tipton, West Bromwich.

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
Re: Salter
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 March 06 22:26 GMT (UK) »
YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!

Im a Salter! you're the first one I've found!
This is my own name and I don't know anything about this line - I've done all the others! The furthest back I know of my Salters is 1918 and they were in London then...but for all I know they could well be from Midlands...
Here are the Salters I have already:
Ethel Salter (living in Fulham/Chelsea in 1918) munition worker living at 5 Marville Road, Fulham. She wasn't married asn she had a child called:

Desmond Salter b.4/12/1918 at Fulham Road Infirmary
He was brought up in a RC orphange in Mill Hill, London til he was 15 (or so the story goes...) and then he left to join Navy.
He met and married Margaret May Maxfield in 1942 (i have specific dates somewhere) in Sheffield and they had my dad:

Stephen Salter b.1945 (dont think im allowed to put exact dates as he's still alive). Desmond abandoned my dad at birth and nothing ever heard of him since.

Stephen married Margaret Williams and they had ME!

Alison Salter b.1983

So there you go...i really really hope something rings a bell...if not then please keep my details as there's not many of us around so we're bound to be connected somewhere along the line!

Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline niglor

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Salter
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 March 06 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the reply, always good to her from another Salter. As for a connection I think it is doubtful, but who nows we may be connect if we go back far enough. May family live in Tipton/West Bromwich for about 100 years. I have traced my Great Great Grandfather back to Wem in Shropshire.

My father is Samuel Salter (Dudley) 1937
Grandfather Thomas Edward Salter (Tipton ) 1900
Great Grandfather Thomas Edward Salter (Tipton) 1864
Great Great Grandfather William Salter (Wem Shropshire) 1833.

The origins of the name Salter go back to the 13th Century. early spellings include Sawter, Saulter and Sauter

Some early references to the Salter name are:

John Le Saltere Cambridge 1273
Nygel Le Salter Wiltshire 1273
Thomas Le Saltar Somerset
Willelmus Salter Yorkshire 1379

The name was first found registered under the spelling of Robert Le Salter in 1243

Hope this is of help. Keep in touch

Nigel Salter