Author Topic: COPELAND and ARMSTRONG, from Enniskillen  (Read 11090 times)

Offline Soopy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COPELAND and ARMSTRONG, from Enniskillen
« on: Tuesday 28 February 06 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi.....
    I am looking for info on either of these families, although I have alot on Copelands. They left Ireland in 1848. I'm really looking for info on Armstrong ( a very common name in Ireland I know) I have:
 Nicholina (or Nickolina) Armstrong b.1797 , where? not sure. She married Hugh Copeland, as his 2nd wife, he already had 7 children, she had 5 more. She married him in 1829 at Derryvolland? Church.  I have no info on her family. She left Ireland in 1848 after Hughs death with 10 of those children and went to US.

I also have a Jane Armstrong b.(not sure) abt 1840?? who married Nicholinas son George Copeland in the US. She came from Ireland...not sure where....or when married but am assuming pre 1877 since thats when first child was born.

Any info on either of these would be appreciated.....and if I can in return help you with anything? I will. Thnanks!
                              Soopy
Armstrong- Innishmore,Co Fermanagh;Omagh Co Tyrone; Dumfrieshire,
 Scotland; New York, US.
Jardine- Dumfrieshire,Scotland.
Buchanan- Omagh Co Tyrone; NY US.
Copeland- Lisbellaw &Enniskillen,Co Fermanagh;Co Monaghan; NY,US: Melborne, Austr.
Henderson- Lisbellaw, Kesh Hill, Co Fermanagh; Co Monaghan.
Montgomery- Innishmore, Co Fermanagh.
Edmonds-England; NY US.
Newland-England; NY US.
Kingsley- Troy & NYC, NY.
Moroney/Maroney-Galway,Ire;NY,US
Russell-Foxfort,Tipperary,Ire ;NY,US
Darcy-I

Offline Alistair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: COPELAND and ARMSTRONG, from Enniskillen
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 March 06 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Soopy,
                  This extract from the Enniskillen Chronicle 9/7/1829:
   Marriage; On Tuesday last Mr Hugh Copeland of this town to Miss Armstrong , daughter of Mr Wm Armstrong of Inishmore,
                                   Good hunting
                                     Alistair

Offline Soopy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 March 06 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Blimey......I think I love you!!!!! lol Ty TY TY ! Is that all the info that was with it ( not that it isn't MORE then anything I've found) lol...Is there a place I can go to see it? Well if not....again I thank YOU!!!!!!!!!
                   S
 Scotland; New York, US.
Copeland- Lisbellaw &Enniskillen,Co Fermanagh;Co Monaghan; NY,US: Melborne, Austr.
Edmonds-England; NY US.
Newland-England; NY US.
Darcy-I

Offline FINGREAGH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 March 06 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi.....
    I am looking for info on either of these families, although I have alot on Copelands. They left Ireland in 1848. I'm really looking for info on Armstrong ( a very common name in Ireland I know) I have:
 Nicholina (or Nickolina) Armstrong b.1797 , where? not sure. She married Hugh Copeland, as his 2nd wife, he already had 7 children, she had 5 more. She married him in 1829 at Derryvolland? Church.  I have no info on her family. She left Ireland in 1848 after Hughs death with 10 of those children and went to US.

I also have a Jane Armstrong b.(not sure) abt 1840?? who married Nicholinas son George Copeland in the US. She came from Ireland...not sure where....or when married but am assuming pre 1877 since thats when first child was born.

Any info on either of these would be appreciated.....and if I can in return help you with anything? I will. Thnanks!
                              Soopy

Offline FINGREAGH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 March 06 23:16 GMT (UK) »
i have some info on nicholina copeland who was a distant ancestor. some of her children settled in the us and others in australia  she married twice   are you related john

Offline FINGREAGH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 March 06 23:19 GMT (UK) »
ps i also have a letter somewhere in my possession that she sent from the us to ireland john

Offline Soopy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 March 06 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi John.....
         YES I am related to her! She was my great great grandmother. I am in the line of her son George who also married an Armstrong, and was one of the Copelands to stay in the US, in Brooklyn, NY. I have alot of information on the Copelands....dating back to Enniskillen, Ireland.....and also on the brothers and sister of my great grandfather George who went on to Australia in 1856. Are you in Australia???Ireland? My cuz went to both those places some years ago to research the Copelands . Are you a descendent of one of theM? I would really appreciate any info and I would love to see a copy of the letter. I am trying to research her parents and siblings "Armstrongs" and have just this week made a connection in Illinois......her brother's line.
                                Thnx
                             Soopy
 Scotland; New York, US.
Edmonds-England; NY US.
Newland-England; NY US.
Darcy-I

Offline FINGREAGH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 March 06 21:13 GMT (UK) »
I only registered on this site last night after I spotted your query whilst doing a general search. I live in Dublin and would have a fair folder on the Copelands and Armstrongs. The father of the girl you mentioned was William Armstrong and her mother was a Montgomery. I have been working on a different line of my family at present and so my info is a bit rusty. The letter I mentioned from Nicholina refers to her various children and how at least 1 had gone to the bad . It finished up by saying dont let any one see this letter and tear it up. Fortunately  I managed to get it  from a cousin who was over 100 when she died,long before I fully understood its significence. I also manged to get a photo of a book the cover of which says, I think  William Armstrong his book 1805 Ennishmore.  Ennishmore was the island on Lough Erne on which the Armstrongs lived It was in the par of derryvullen(derryvoland)  Please give me a while to follow up as All my info is in folders and none has been scanned or sorted .There are too many Montgomerys to get any where.  John

Offline FINGREAGH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 March 06 21:43 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure whether this site allows you to use e mail addresses or tel numbers or postal addresses to send info    John.