Author Topic: COPELAND and ARMSTRONG, from Enniskillen  (Read 11102 times)

Offline Soopy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: COPELAND and ARMSTRONG, from Enniskillen
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 March 06 02:04 GMT (UK) »
WOW....Are you a Montgomery? Or from that line? I have a cousin whose bf ( odd saying that when they are in their 70's lol) who has been researching Copeland. He was stuck on Nicholina's family. And we weren't sure about Jane (her mothers) last name, we thought it was Montgomery. Only this past week I found Nicholina's brother's family ( Armstrong) in Illinois. Supposedly they are the family the Copelands stayed with  after they came here and before they went on to Brooklyn. I found them thru a rootsweb message board. I can't believe this!
 "YOU" are the relatives we've been wondering about! lol That is if you are in the Montgomery line. lol Dublin huh? I'm in NY, on Long Island to be exact. I would so love to see the things you're talking about. I don't know if you can put addresses here.  BUT.....mine is the name I sign here with, and a 46 next to it. Then it's aol, then a dot, then com.
   Got it? lol Please e mail me if you can. You wouldn't know anything about Jane Armstrong, George Copeland's wife would you? She was Nicholina's daughter-in-law. We heard perhaps they were related and an arranged marraige for her son George.
    Wel.....Thank you for replying to my post! I'm soooo glad you came on.
                                              Soopy
Armstrong- Innishmore,Co Fermanagh;Omagh Co Tyrone; Dumfrieshire,
 Scotland; New York, US.
Jardine- Dumfrieshire,Scotland.
Buchanan- Omagh Co Tyrone; NY US.
Copeland- Lisbellaw &Enniskillen,Co Fermanagh;Co Monaghan; NY,US: Melborne, Austr.
Henderson- Lisbellaw, Kesh Hill, Co Fermanagh; Co Monaghan.
Montgomery- Innishmore, Co Fermanagh.
Edmonds-England; NY US.
Newland-England; NY US.
Kingsley- Troy & NYC, NY.
Moroney/Maroney-Galway,Ire;NY,US
Russell-Foxfort,Tipperary,Ire ;NY,US
Darcy-I

Offline Soopy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 March 06 22:09 GMT (UK) »
PS......Sorry should have asked............Are you a Copeland or Armstrong relative? If you need any info from this side of the ocean.......or even Australia for the Copelands please don't hesitate to ask. We have alot of that. The Copelands esp were a  very a great family ,as were the Armstrongs here in US. The Copelands were very involved in establishing the Methodist church in both Brooklyn, NY and Melborne Australia.
And even financial institutions in Australia too.......The cousin I referred to traveled to Ireland and Australia in search of research so just let me know................and as far as New York? ....any ????? I'm right here. I am SO HAPPY to connect with you. TY so much!
 Scotland; New York, US.
Copeland- Lisbellaw &Enniskillen,Co Fermanagh;Co Monaghan; NY,US: Melborne, Austr.
Edmonds-England; NY US.
Newland-England; NY US.
Darcy-I

Offline FINGREAGH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 March 06 22:46 BST (UK) »
THANKS FOR REPLY.  WILLIAM ARMSTRONG IS A DIRECT ANCESTOR OF MINE. HE CAME FROM DUNFRIESHIRE IN SCOTLAND AND SETTLED IN FERMANAGH. I HAV A PHOTO OF THE HOUSE HE WAS LIVING IN IN 1845, TAKEN ABOUT 1930. IT STILL STANDS.    JAMES COPELAND OF LISBELLAW IS ALSO A DIRECT ANCESTOR AS WELL. I HAVE THE ADDRESS OF A MR RAZOR WHOM I MUST WRITE TO. A MR JOHNSTON WROTE AN ARTICLE IN THE SPARK ABOUT THE COPELANDS WHICH YOU ARE PROB AWARE OF. THERE ARE A FEW ERRORS IN AT. THE LETTER I REFFERED TO PREVIOUSLY HAD AN ERROR. NICHOLINA WAS REFERRING TO SOMEONE IN IRELAND AND HIS DESPICABLE BEHAVIOUR. I GAVE A COPY OF THIS LETTER TO SOMEONE HERE LAST YEAR SO PERHAPS YOU HAVE ALREADY SEEN IT.

Offline FINGREAGH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 March 06 22:56 BST (UK) »
JANE ARMSTRONG  DAU OF WILLIAM ARMSTRONG WAS AN ANCESTOR OF MINE. AND MARRIED A BRACKEN I HAVE A COPY OF HER SIGNATURE( ALSO OF A COPELAND, I THINK IT WSWAS HUGH) , SO THERE MUST HAVE BEEN SEVERAL JANE'S.  WILLIAM HAD SEVERAL CHILDREN MOST OF WHOSE NAMES I WOULD HAVE RECORDED.  PROB EACH OF THESE HAD A DAU CALLED JANE AFTER JANE MONTGOMERY.  NEEDLESS TO SAY ALL OF THESE WERE INVOLVED IN METHODISM    JOHN

Offline Soopy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 March 06 23:46 BST (UK) »
  Well then John if you are related to them then let me say...Hi cuz!
I am your US line. Nicholina was my gg grandmother, George her son my g grandfather, and his son Hugh M Copeland my grandfather. I am in constant contact with Ed R., he is my cousin Margrets bf.
   The Jane Armstrong I am talking about was b in 1847 and came here to the US and married George Copeland (my gg grandfather)in the later 1870's. There was "family" rumor that it was an arranged marraige and that Jane was somehow related to Nicholina's family. I know there must've been alot of Janes since my records show alot of them in the Copeland side. Hugh and George were also very popular names. I was told by my mother, if I'd been a son my name might have been Hugh after my mother's father and brother lol. Since I instead was a "girl" I was given Copeland as my middle name, as were both my sisters.I in turn have passed that on to my son who now has it as his middle name, as do some of my nieces and nephews. So the name lives on.
     As far as the letter you speak of, I told Ed R. of our correspondence and of the letter, he didn't say he knew of it but seemed surprised. I will have to contact him, since he has sent me a copy of his records and I don't see it here.
    Perhaps you would be interested in the fact I have located John Armstrong's line in Illinois. This is John , Nicholina's brother who ,when he was living in Ohio, the Copelands stayed with him after they first arrived here in 1848. The person I've contacted has been doing the family genealogy for over 20-30 years and is affiliated with the Illinois Historical Society. It was thru a message board like this we connected. It was thru this connection I heard William  and Jane had something like 18 children. And I was given 12 pages of the info, but as of yet haven't really gone over them.(puter probs).
    I am so excited to meet you. In my post of the 25th I mentioned how you could email me.........please feel free to if you want.
     I am so happy to know there are still family living in Ireland. Ed and I , and even the Illinois contact have discussed our curiosity over furthering the Armstrong information and looking into the Montgomery side, since we each are at standstills.  ( I am the amateur in the group, they are the experienced ones) ! lol
     We were also told (family stories) of a connection to the surname Buchanon, yet can not find it. Do you know of this?
     Well I better go........I can not tell you just how happy I am to have connected with you!!!! TC...............
                                 Soopy

Scotland; New York, US.
Edmonds-England; NY US.
Newland-England; NY US.
Darcy-I

Offline FINGREAGH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 08:28 BST (UK) »
I HAVE NOT BEEN AWARE OF ANY ASSOCIATION WITH THE NAME BUCHANON, ONLY OF THE HENDERSONS OF CASH HILL OR KESH HILL NEAR BALLINAMALLARD JOHN

Offline FINGREAGH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 08:31 BST (UK) »
PS AND OF COURSE SIDEWAY CONNECTIONS WITH HARPURS  WILLIS ETC  JOHN

Offline MissCat

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 23 April 17 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi there!

I am so glad to see someone has more information on the Copeland side. Alexander Copeland was my 4th great-grandfather, his son George Copeland, my 4th great-uncle. I would love to know more!

Catherine Copeland
Fort Worth, Texas