Author Topic: Tearle Family  (Read 5585 times)

Offline lordfaringdon

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re:Tearle Family
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 February 04 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Doc - received the following mail from some Tearles in New Zealand where I thought the connection with you might have been: seems I was right! If you can mail me away from this forum, I have asked Rosemary if I can give you their e-mail address
Hope the additional information is useful to you
Cheers
Richard

Message from Michael (1934) and Rosemary Tearle, New Zealand:

Michael has a Frederick George Tearle in his family tree.

birth registered 2nd quarter 1868, Islington 1b 237

The following was found in the 1901 Census for England:

TEARLE: Frederick        head        33 (years)        M         London            painter
               Mary              wife          33                   F         Sutton, Surrey
              Lilian               dau           9                    F         Croydon, Surrey
              Percy              son           8                    M        Croydon, Surrey
              Fred                son           6                    M        Sutton, Surrey
              Dorothy           dau           5                    F         Sutton, Surrey
              Gladys            dau           3                    F         Sutton, Surrey
              Daisy              dau           1                    F         Sutton, Surrey

Ages seem to add up with "our" and "your" Tearles.  So we could be related as Frederick George was a  brother of Michael's great grandfather, William James Tearle.    By the way, Michael says we have a brain-y Tearle too!  Our son Matthew is doing a PhD in maths at Boulder, Colorado and his wife Rachael is a member of this group.

Frederick George was the son of James and Sarah Ann (nee Jones) Tearle.  James was born in Dunstable, Beds, in 1834 and Sarah was born in Berkshire, circa 1841.  They were married in Holloway, London May 5 1860.
James' parents were George and Elizabeth (nee Tearle) Tearle who were married May 15 1832 at Stanbridge.
George's parents are unknown (at this stage) but Elizabeth's were John and Mary (nee Janes) Tearle of Stanbridge.  George was born circa 1809, and Elizabeth May 1810.
John Tearle was born 1770 and married Mary 1792.  John's parents were John and Martha (nee Archer) Tearle 1741, son of Thomas and Mary (nee Sibley) Tearle 1710.  

Do you have a copy of Tearle, A Bedfordshire Surname, by John L Tearle?  Required reading for all Tearleophiles.

Cheers, Rosemary.
Tearle surname

Offline Good Doctor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 February 04 01:05 GMT (UK) »
 :)Hello Richard,
     Your last email was right on.  They are my mother in laws family.  Percy Charles Tearle was her father.  I've set up the family tree and in the process of including additional data.  I'll shoot you a copy as soon as I get your snail mail address.  My mother in law is over the moon with the new data and so is one of her nieces.  Keep the Faith.

Regards,
     Doc ;)

Offline lordfaringdon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 February 04 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Doc - I am really really happy about that! I presume you've been in touch with Michael and Risemary privately - they are a lovely couple!
Mail me on my e-mail address if you really want my snail mail address - but if you are able to post the tree in the group, that would be easier, less costlier for you and also everyone there will be able to update whatever information they have! Could you let us know how your wife got to America ie was she born there or which member of the Tearle family first emigrated to the States and when?
Congratulations anyway - Cheers
Richard
Tearle surname

Offline Good Doctor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 February 04 23:28 GMT (UK) »
 :)Hello Richard,
     Just got in from the gym and thought I'd read my email before Sheila calls me for evening tea.  Anyrate, I haven't spoken to Michael and Rosemary (that I can remember).  However, I plan to in the very near future.  Sheila emmigrated to the US in 1963 as military bride.  I was posted at Bushy Park outside of Twickenham from 1961 to 1963.  We met and got married before I was posted to France.  She was with me for 19 of my 20 years with the US Forces.  Lovely lady inside and a real looker out side.  She was in England visiting her mother last June.  My mothers mother was one Mary Emily Kneebone from Redruth, Cornwall.  I'm also researching her family.  However, not to successfully at the moment.  My lovely call, tea is being served!! Keep the Faith.

Regards,
     Doc

PS:  I'll see what I can do about getting the Family Tree on the  net.

Offline lordfaringdon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 February 04 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Doc - thanks for the info; sounds like a lovely story!! I think the other members would like to see the run down of your tree as you know it - there may be some who might be able to add further. I know Rosemary has come to a bit of a dead end as it appears that a George Tearle married an Elizabeth Tearle somewhere in her family back in the mists of time but she can find no evidence of that.
Surprising you not getting very far with the Kneebones: an unusual name, certainly. I have only come across it once before and I'm sorry to say it made me laugh - not because of the strangeness of the name, but because the lady in question was the landlady of a public house called - The Joiners Arms. My apologies for my SOH!
Cheers
Richard
Tearle surname

Offline Good Doctor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 21 February 04 01:42 GMT (UK) »
 ::) Evening Richard,  Landlady of a public house, hum!  That shound like my Kneebones.  Mary Emily and her family emmigrated to the US approx 1887 and were in the Great Johnstown Flood of 1889.  One of her sister drown.  The story goes??? that she and her sister were on the roof on a house floating down the river.  The house hit a bridge and her sister feel off the roof and drown.  Over 2000 people were killed in a little over 3 hours.  Difficult to obtain much data on the family after the flood.  Many were buried in unmarked graves.  In the 1970's there was another flood and all the records during the perion (kept in the basement of the Court House) were destroyed.  I do however, have several letters from two of Mary Emilys uncles and one from her cousin in Denver, Colorado all in the time frame of 1895-1896.  I've also be able to identify several pictures from the letters of her Uncle and his family.  This was my latest venture before I started on the Tearles.  I may just have to saddle up my old paint and ride the big silver bird and come over from the coloneys to visit the mother country to do some indepth research.  Anyrate, I've just finished eat Italian chicken, cream corn and baby potatos with biscuts and I can hardly walk.  I think I need to take a wee kip.  Cheers.  Doc ::)

Offline lordfaringdon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 21 February 04 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Doc - very interesting story....must be some Kneebone's in the census - have you tried posting a message in here in the relevant counties?
Anyway, we have a new member who lives in the Bedfordshire area so I hope she might post something for us all...
Cheers for now
Richard
Tearle surname

Offline Good Doctor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 12 May 04 22:05 BST (UK) »
  :)Hello Richard,  Just a short note to let you know that I have but together about 7 to 9 generations of Tearles with lots of pictures.  I still have to verifiy some of the people in the pictures.  I should have that done is about two weeks.  My wife is in England for the next two weeks and will do the verification for me.  I post the entire lot by the end of the month.  Lord will'in and the creek don't rise.  Keep the Faith. :D  Best Regards, Doc

Offline lordfaringdon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 12 May 04 22:19 BST (UK) »
Ho Doc - that's great news! Look forward to seeing the fruits of your labours - its been rather quiet in the group lately!
Tearle surname