Author Topic: Inkerman Rows  (Read 7993 times)

Offline islander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Inkerman Rows
« on: Friday 01 October 04 09:20 BST (UK) »
Is anyone researching Hamilton or Orr in Inkerman? My Hamiltons left there in 1911/12 for Cape Breton.
I'm also looking for Peggy Hamilton who I believe married a James McGuire at Linwood Manse sometime after 1908.
Thanks.

Offline james smith327

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Inkerman Rows
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 December 04 20:44 GMT (UK) »
I am not researching these families you mention but thereis a numbers of members of the Orr family still in Linwood. This family have been in the district since the time of the miners rows. You always recognise an Orr, tall slim pointed features. All the men are the same.

Offline islander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 December 04 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
My grandfather's step father was a William Orr. They lived in Inkerman Rows. My grandfather, as I said in my reply on the Linwood manse page, left Inkerman in 1910/11. It is very possible that his half brother (Orr) stayed in Inkerman as I haven't found him anywhere.
I have no idea what they looked like.
Thanks again.

Offline moraggunn2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 September 08 01:51 BST (UK) »
my Hamiltons were at 149 Inkerman for many years - late 1850's until abt 1938. is it the same family?

I am Lynn Hamilton. My father was Douglas Rodger Hamilton. My grandfather Bruce Hamilton brn 1902 was born at 149 Inkerman to Douglas Hamilton and Ann Goodwin. .  My dad played in the blaes when he was very small. The rows came down when he was a child abt 1940.

Any connection? Thnaks, Lynn in Canada

Offline islander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 November 08 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lynn,

I don't reconise the names that you mention, although my brother is a Douglas.

My family lived at #136 Inkerman when my father was born in 1910.  My grandfather moved there from Beith, Ayrshire after 1891 with his mother and step-father, William Orr. 

Regards

Offline JohnMac43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Anyone got any photographs of Inkerman mines or village? I know the school house is still there.

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 March 09 16:14 GMT (UK) »
I am not researching these families you mention but thereis a numbers of members of the Orr family still in Linwood. This family have been in the district since the time of the miners rows. You always recognise an Orr, tall slim pointed features. All the men are the same.

I have a friend whose late father's 1st and middle name was William Orr (I wont mention his surname on here). He lived in Linwood all his days. I believe the Orr came from his mother's family.
Ramsay, Struthers, Stark (Avondale, Lanarkshire) Haughey, Martin (Ballyrashane) Neely, Fraser (Londonderry) Hill (Anderston, Glasgow), Cranstoun, Carruthers (Dumfries) MacIndoe (Springburn & Bridgeton, Glasgow) McKay (Springburn, Glasgow) Fraser (Paisley)

Offline rye470

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 March 09 19:52 GMT (UK) »
There is a book in the 'Images of Scotland' collection published by Tempus Publishing covering Linwood.  The last chapter coveres Inkerman and shows two photo's of the actual rows.  There is one photo which might interest you.  It shows 'The Orr Family' c. 1890.  Their address was 28 Second Row.  It names them as James Orr with his wife Isabella Hardy Orr. Their daughter Georgina and son George.  Could they be related?

I would scan and forward these, but I'm afraid there could be a copyright issue.

You could probably obtain a copy of the book either on line or from the publisher.

Tempus Publishing Limited,
The Mill,
Brimscombe Port,
Stroud, Gloucestershire.  GL5 2QG.

The book is full of old photo's of Linwood and covers up until the demise of the car plant.  I even found my mum's best friend in it (I was raised in Linwood). 

It was well worth the 10 pounds.

Christine.

davieboy - that wouldn't be the councilor, would it? : ;D   
Hamill - Co. Armagh/Renfrewshire.
Alexander  - Co.Tyrone/Lanarkshire.
McCulloch/McCullough - Co.Down/Lanarkshire.
Fyfe -Stirling/Clackmannanshire.
Binnie - Clackmannanshire.
Stewart - Perthshire.
McEwan - Perthshire.

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 March 09 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Don't think the family i'm thinking about ever had someone in politics.
Ramsay, Struthers, Stark (Avondale, Lanarkshire) Haughey, Martin (Ballyrashane) Neely, Fraser (Londonderry) Hill (Anderston, Glasgow), Cranstoun, Carruthers (Dumfries) MacIndoe (Springburn & Bridgeton, Glasgow) McKay (Springburn, Glasgow) Fraser (Paisley)