Author Topic: Dolphinholme Village nr Lancaster  (Read 29232 times)

Offline lilyJ

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Dolphinholme Village nr Lancaster
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 December 07 01:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I too have relatives associated with Dolphinholme by the rather unusual surname of MOISTER. Joseph was a woolcomber there on the 1841 census but moved to Bradford YKS by the 1951 census. where his brother John already resided.
Joseph married Margaret Huntingdon in Cockerham in 1829.Joseph's children were George-who is listed in a separate Dolphinholme residence with an occupation at the age of 8,Richard who was baptised at Cockerham in 1835 and Anne who may be Sarah A on the 1851.There are no baptisms for George or Anne/Sarah Anne on the IGI for Cockerham or Ellel or anywhere else for that matter.
Joseph's family can be found in Sedbergh YKS records in the early 1800s and in Ravenstonedale, Westmorland from 1812 to  1816 when his father Richard and sister Mary died . There was no trace of them in the Ravenstonedale records after this date. Mother Agnes was therefore left a widow with perhaps 6 children to support.

Sorry for being so longwinded-now I'll get to the point. I've lost my Moisters between 1816 and 1841 so request  is for KBC- if you come across any mention of this surname connected with the woollen mills in Cockerham could you please let me know?
Also, do you know if the cottages on the photos were there in the 1830s/forties? I'd sure like to find an ancestral home that still exists ;D
Thanks
lilyj

Offline keenbutconfused

• RootsChat Member
  • It was just an average working day on the quayside
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 December 07 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi lillyj

The cottages in all the photos were def there in that period.  Most of the mill workers cottages were built mid to late C18th.  In the pic I posted, I live in the second house from the right!  In the lower part of the village, there was no development here between something like 1789 and 1986 - when six new houses were built and some flats.  The difficulty is that a lot of properties that were there aren't any more - many were just very rough built and in very poor condition.  So, although there are now only 35 residences, there would have been a lot more, when the mill was at its height.  Corless Cottages, a biggish row in the upper part of the village is still there - but other than that, most of the properties up there are mid 20thC - not sure if they were greenfields builds or replaced older properties.

I understand that, by the sixties, virtually all of Lower Dolphinholme was virtually derelict.  I know that, as our house backed on to fields, pigs were kept in what is now my kitchen - it was originally a separate one room cellar dwelling.  In the 70s the house was 'done up' very roughly and a staircase put through to allow access to that part of the property from the rest of the house, and it then all became one, so to speak.   
Joice, Coburn, Fairs - Easington, Durham villages, Jarrow, Hebburn, Monkwearmouth, Chester le Street, Gateshead, Haswell....she was only a coal miner's daughter (well, grand-daughter)

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 December 07 09:20 GMT (UK) »
There are some MOIZER names listed in http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/indexp.html pages for Lancaster. Maybe a branch of the same family with a spelling variant.  Names/dates don't quite fit what you are looking for but they might be worth bearing in mind.

:) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lilyJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 December 07 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, Barbara.

That may or may not be yet another variation of the name. I had a look at Lancs OPC  and a swift run through the IGI and censuses. I'll keep them in the " you never know, might be" file-I have a few of those :)

lilyj

Offline lilyJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 15 December 07 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keen but confused

Thank you for the response. It's really good to hear form someone who lives in a place that you're interested in- brings life to it if you know what I mean.

Do you know if there were  specific names for the mills operating in the 1830's- I searched the Lancs RO catalogue and A2A  with the term Dolphinholme but didn't find much. I suppose it would be too much to hope for that the names of the workers would be recorded somewhere.
I'm going to spin yarns for my kids now about ancestors living with pigs. Should give any future descendants something to ponder ;D
lilyj

Offline jinks

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Thomas Pye
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 22 December 07 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kennbutconfused

I probably will have ancestors from Dolphinholme,
because I am descended from quite a few families in
the area, to name a few Pye, Kelsall, Cragg.

I just wanted to mark the post for future posting because
you never know.

Love place to live though

Jinks
Ashton Lancashire
Eccles Lancashire
Fletcher Lancashire
Harwood Church/Darwen
Jackson Staffordhire/Worcestershire
Jenkinson Cockerham
Marsden Hoghton Lancashire
Mercer Lancashire/Yorkshire
Pye Wyresdale
Singleton Lancashire
Swarbrick  Longridge
Watt Scotland/Lancashire

Offline diavalos

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 February 08 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Do you have any information on a William Barker who was a blacksmith living in Dolphinholme in 1901 according to the  census. He had returned to the area a few years before and took over from his father Edward Barker who had been blacksmith there for many years. I think they lived at Spout cottage? My main interest is in His wife's family she was Jenny or Janet Whiteside. born 1847 Overwyresdale and lived at Oreton smithy 1851 -61 her father George whiteside was smithy there around 1861. They then moved to Dolphinholme, Ellel and then to Freckleton in 1886sh. My real query is could the Whitesides or Barkers have been Quakers.
A tall order I know but any  information would be a help.
Thankyou
Joyce

Offline keenbutconfused

• RootsChat Member
  • It was just an average working day on the quayside
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 February 08 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joyce

I'm sorry - I don't have much info on people of Dolphinholme, as I'm a recent resident here and my own research is on the other side of the country.  There were a good number of Quaker families around here though - many villages were entirely Quaker - so it is certainly a possibility.

If you could give me the references for the census records, I can try and work out where their cottage was though and it might well still be there - I would be happy to take a photograph for you.

The name Spout Cottage rings a bell, but I've had a quick look on the OS map and can't find one in Dolphinholme.  There's a Spout House towards Scorton though - which was definitley a Quaker Village ...   
Joice, Coburn, Fairs - Easington, Durham villages, Jarrow, Hebburn, Monkwearmouth, Chester le Street, Gateshead, Haswell....she was only a coal miner's daughter (well, grand-daughter)

Offline diavalos

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 February 08 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for replying so quickly.
The Barkers lived at Water Spout. St Mark's Parish Dolphinholme. The entry above theirs is 26, 27, 28, Front Row (Cor) Could this be a reference to Corless Mill.? Entry below is Common Bank. The Ref. is RG13/3984 Folio 81 page 10. If the house or even the houses close to them are still there a photo would be wonderful.
Iam actually writing a book on people who are not natives of Freckleton but had lived there for many years after coming from other parts of the country, and have an interesting story. The Whitesides and Barkers are not disapointing me up to now, but if they could just be Quakers it would make their story so much more interesting.