Author Topic: 1871 Census: Brierfield, Lancs. Abbott  (Read 12874 times)

Offline Richard McGarry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census: Brierfield, Lancs. Abbott
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 28 May 06 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hello again Gordon

Have you looked at the Blakey HARTLEY aged 55, a shopkeeper in Heptonstall, whom Jean found on the 1841 census? He is the right age to be the same Blakey HARTLEY (aged 65) on the 1851 census, whom Thomas ABBOTT was living with, in Colne, and it links with Thomas having been born in Heptonstall. I would not be surprised to find that there was a close family relationship between Blakey and Thomas, perhaps through Blakey's wife.

BTW the 1841 census lists TWO Blakey HARTLEYs, both born c.1786, the second one was a farmer in Warley, which is only about 5 miles east of Heptonstall, and 2 miles north west of Halifax.

There were two more Blakey HARTLEYs on the 1841 census, one was born in 1840 to a HARTLEY family at Ovenden, which is only about 2 miles north east of Warley and 2 miles north of Halifax.  The fourth Blakey HARTLEY is the oldest, and in 1841 he too was at Warley. The 1851 census gives more details of him - he was still at Warley, aged  71, so born c.1780, at Gisburn

The 1851 census lists a few more Blakey HARTLEYs to play with, if you wish. They are all in the same area.

This cluster of Blakey HARTLEY's is unique to this small area on the Yorkshire-Lancashire border, and I think they are all likely to be related. What do you think?

Regards.

Richard McGarry.

Offline Gorwyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 29 May 06 07:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy and all

Thank you for the information on Rachel and Thomas. I do have a copy of this marriage certificatre which was sent to me from the UK. If you are interested and would like more information from it, please let me know.
The surname on Thomas is Habbott as you indicated, it is obviously a mistake on the original information, the witnesses were Broughton Atkinson and a Richard Widdup [no connection that I know of].

He has given his father as "Blakey Hartley" on the certificate for some obscure reason. It does seem that his parents have died and he has gone to live with the Hartley's but why???

I searched for Blakey Hartley but didn't find the one you found, I did find the others that Richard mentioned. I also searched for Alice Abbott, Josephs wife but to no avail.

I don't suppose we will ever find out how Helen Voss came to meet Broughton.
I have met their son Sam, he lived in Nelson but I never knew how he was connected to the family other than that my parents referred to him as uncle Sam. It was only while looking for information on him that I found out his connection. Did you have information on him Richard?

Well must keep searching!!

Regards
Gordon

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 29 May 06 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Gordon and the rest following this saga

Gordon  which name do you refer to as being of no known connection?

Was it Richard Widdop?

Because Rachel Atkinson does have a brother named Broughton Atkinson - but I gather you may know fo this.

Wendy

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline Gorwyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 29 May 06 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy

You are right it was Richard Widdup I was referring to.
The Broughton Atkinson I know of thanks.

I have just been going through the 1841 census again but nothing on Thomas Abbott or Joseph & Alice. They must all be there somewhere, Thomas at least was alive in the 1851 census so he can't just have disappeared! Frustration!!!

Do you have a connection with the Abbott famil;y? I can't remember for sure.

Regards
Gordon

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 29 May 06 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Gordon

No I am not connected to family on either of the family names.  Just happy to search for other peoples family in census records.

Wendy
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 29 May 06 12:57 BST (UK) »

To All connected to this family saga

there is Blakey Hartley mistranscribed on his surname

So for all who have access to the 1841 census here is the Refs to find him

Name Blakey Harkey Not a spelling mistake on my part

year of birth they have for him is 1801

birth place not stated as he is in Skipton Yks  and simply stated on census as not bing born in County.

Job description any bodys guess.

HO107/1318/11

There is also a Mary Brown who I believe could be Elizabeth/Bettys daughter mprior to marriage to Blakey on 31/8/ 1822 in Colne  according only to the family search site.

Don't think he is the same one as in the 1851 he has the same children with him.

:'(

Wendy

Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 29 May 06 13:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,

I'm following this with interest, I think this is the Blakey Hartley whose marriage is shown at Colne 31 Aug 1822 so at least it eliminates him and we know that the Betty in 1851 with Thomas Abbott wasn't the same Betty Brown.

For interest, the 1851 ref is HO107 2279/164 Page 12.

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline lancs.fox

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 29 May 06 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I think the job of Blakey 'Harkey' of Skipton is Labourer (see entry a few lines below which is much clearer but with identical letter formation).  There is something added after 'Labourer' which could conceivably be 'Farm', but is not at all obvious.

Good luck with this fascinating research.
Fox (Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Yorkshire); Stockton (Shropshire, Yorkshire); Moody (Staffordshire, Worcestershire, Yorkshire); Kershaw (Yorkshire); Martyn (Cornwall); Barnacle (Warwickshire, Leicestershire), Cox (Staffordshire); Dunn (Staffordshire); Mitchell (Yorkshire); Evers (Yorkshire)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gorwyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 07:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy, Jean and all.

Thanks Wendy and all those participating in this research who have no direct connections with the family. I certainly appreciate all the help I can get. The misspellings certainly make life difficult.

My reason for following Blakey Hartley is because Thomas Abbott was staying with him according to the 1851 census and I am trying to find a connection with Blakey and the Abbot(t)  family, I thought it might ultimately lead to finding Joseph and Alice Abbott.

Maybe another misspelling is the reason why Joseph and Alice can't be found on the census.

Regards
Gordon