Author Topic: Missing Marriages  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Jackienock

• RootsChat Extra
  • A GRUMPY OLD MAN
    • View Profile
Missing Marriages
« on: Friday 01 October 04 16:36 BST (UK) »
Is it fairly common for marriages not to be registered even as late as 1850?

My Great Grandfather, Thomas Ebenezer Brooks married Sarah, I think, Collier, in that era and their first born child apeared in 1858.
They lived in the Stourbridge, West Midlands area.

ALLEN, GREEN, HOBBINS, Walsall. 
ALLEN, KNOWLES, TROMANS, Cradley area.    
BRETTELL, BROOKS, ENSELL, Stourbridge area.  
MCWHIRTER, RICE, TROMANS, Plymouth area.
TIMMINS,  Chaddesley Corbett, Kidderminster.

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Marriages
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 October 04 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I believe registration was not actually made compulsory until 1875.   After that date people could be fined for not registering.

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good job they all stayed in one place!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 October 04 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone rookie cheryle.f here. Six moths ago  i wondered why i bothered with registrations and certificates when receiving my grandmothers marriage cert. her husbands name and age were shown.When i followed his trail i spent many long lonely nights staring at the screen wondering why i coulnd'nt find him anywhere. i thought i was going mad.Eventually decided to go on 1837.com and just spend a few bob going backwards from his marriage date. He was actually born five years before he was saying he was. He was married in 1919 and his age was 24 infact he was 29 , his bride 19 which is not so terrible a gap! So why.........
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 October 04 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hiya Cheryle,

And a warm welcome to Rootschat.

I've seen quite a bit of "reducing the age gap" going on on certs.

If she was 19 then she was a minor so maybe her dad wasn't too impressed with her hitching up to a man 10 yrs her senior?

Y'just never know...

Pam
 ;D

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 15:41 BST (UK) »
The problem may not be with failing to register the marriage, but with the marriage indexes being hopelessly inadequate.  There has been some research done which highlights the fact that enormous numbers of register entries have actually not made it into the indexes.  I'm not quite sure how you go about finding one of these missing from the index, but if you had a fairly close idea of when the event took place you could try getting the appropriate registry office to do a search for you (rather than going direct to the central Family Records Office).

The other option is to get creative about spelling and search the indexes under various mis-spellings.  Think about what the name might look like handwritten, and go for any variant that may possibly be confused.  For example, I have SENNETT that has been spelled with the more obvious vowel changes, and one N or T, but also with the S misread as F or L.  The latter would of course end up in a completely different part of the index and not be so easy to find.