Author Topic: Hamilton, Wentworth County  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Mars Barr

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hamilton, Wentworth County
« on: Friday 03 March 06 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone in that area help me to find out some details.

I thought my mother`s cousin was named Charlie Herd, that was the name I`m sure I heard in 1948 or 49, but someone else gave me information that there is a grave, near where my gt aunt Laura Jokker/Yokker(nee Gagan) and Mary Gartland her niece, are buried, that there is a grave for a Charles HIRD and they thought perhaps this was "my" Charles,
When I investigated his name, he had been born in England, and if he was related to the above two people, I dont know that he would have been born there, I need to know his mother`s name to be 100 o/o sure
I had thought that the  one I am looking for was born in Canada and would have been related to either one of my relatives there Grace Gartland or Laura Yokker.

In the meantime I will try finding out if I can get his mother`s name here, but I don`t think our BMD index will name the mother, it usually only gives name & date & place of birth.
The one I have seen on the census, was born toward the north Lancashire /Yorkshire or London, but this would not fit the relativ es I know about.
Its a bit of a puzzle for me, certainly the name HIRD could have sounded like Herd, so I`m not sure now, also, I thought his daughter`s name was

Karen has been helping me with the Yokker family as much as she can, but I don`t want to place yet another burden on her, so if someone lives in the area, perhaps it would be easier for them?
I have written in to one of the newspapers in a letter to the editor, but not sure if it will be published or not.
Gartland (Canada)  Copeland (Derby & Leicester)  Barr (Greenock-Scotland)
Geoghan(Ireland)  Jarvis (Essex)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Hamilton, Wentworth County
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 March 06 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mars Barr, 

Here's what I have found

Charles Hird married Annie Patchett.  They had a son Walter Hird in Hamilton who died when he was 10 days old in 1922.

Charles Hird's mother is Martha Hird. 

Martha Hird died in 1930 in Hamilton.  Her parents are listed as Joshua Hutton, born in Scotland and Ann Laycock born in England.  Martha was born c1876.

Perhaps the connection is through the Hutton's?

Karen

PS  You're not burdening me, I think I want to figure this out as much you now  :)
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Mars Barr

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Hamilton, Wentworth County
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 March 06 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen,
Dorry, but I had felt a bit guilty of keeping asking you to look up thinhs for me, however, as long as you don`t mind ding it. Its just I don`t wantr to seem greedy.

Now you have given me another clue when you give the name of Hutton, this means the connection could very well be on my father`s side and my mother.
My father had been born illegitmately to Christina McCulloch, two years later (in 1898) she married a Joseph HUTTON  I will now check (that is if he  Joshua, appears on the 1881 Scottish census, I have the LDS discs for that)
if he is connected to Joseph, then Charlie Hird could be the COULD br the correct one.

I know as little about my father`s relatives as my mother`s! after my father died in 1941, I never saw any of his relatives again, except for his half sister Elizabeth Hutton, I did not know then of course that she was his half-sister, I thought she may have been his cousin, I called her Aunti Lizzie, and as she lived very close to us, and walked to school with her daughter Margaret (although she went to the Roman Catholic school and I to the Protestant one) I had thought my mother then was not pleased for me to keep being friends with my cousin, was because of the different religion, my grandfather (Stephen Gagan) had a hatred for RCs and this soured the whole family (Yet now , I know he was himself a Roman Catholic and his family!!)
I have had a wierd family!!

Will check up as soon as I can and get back to you.
Thank you once again for your great help, I really appreciate it.
Bye for now, Maud
Gartland (Canada)  Copeland (Derby & Leicester)  Barr (Greenock-Scotland)
Geoghan(Ireland)  Jarvis (Essex)