Author Topic: Flemings of Faskine  (Read 3307 times)

Offline sharonmk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Flemings of Faskine
« on: Saturday 04 March 06 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am beginning to think that I am the only person in the world interested in these Flemings but...

James Fleming, Farmer (bap 28 May 1781, d 1860) married Jane (Jean) Thompson 6 June 1824. They had 3 sons James (b ?), John (bap 29 July 1832, d 4 Apr 1885) and Robert (bap 22 June 1834).

James jr left Scotland sometime prior to 1858. His father's will of that year leaves £5 to his son James “believed to be in the United States or elsewhere abroad” on condition of his returning to Scotland. James jr's emigration appears to have been undertaken without his father's approval.

John married Mary Shaw Gilchrist on 22 Feb 1869. In his father's will he was left the main farm, Faskine, plus goods and cash. John and Mary had 8 children: Jean Thompson Fleming (b 16 Apr 1869) m James Allen 18 Dec 1893; Isabella Shaw Fleming (b 11 Nov 1870) m William B Wallace 13 Dec 1906; Mary Gilchrist Fleming (b 30 Dec 1871); Helen (Nellie) ( b 25 Jan 1873 d 12 Dec 1926); Ann/Agnes (b c1874); Janet (b c1877) m James Watson Dec 1902; James III b 26 Oct 1878; John (b c 1881).

Robert Fleming married Elizabeth Forsyth and inherited the second farm, Thras(h)bush and £5 under his father's will.

James III emigrated to New South Wales sometime prior to 1911. He was a baker by profession. He married Lydia Isabella Thompson of Cowra NSW on 20 Sept 1911. At this time James is shown as living in Camden, NSW. Their son, Roy Simpson Fleming was born on 7 July 1912.

James' second wife was Jessie Matilda Harris, daughter of Russell Harris and Emily Jane Campbell. At this time James had moved to Labrador, Queensland. James and Jessie had a daughter, Jean. Jean Fleming married a Mr Mellefont. Jean Mellefont had at least one child, a daughter P A Mellefont.

James died in Brisbane, Queensland on 27 March 1963 in Princess Alexandra Hospital of bronchopneumonia. He was cremated at Mt Thompson Crematorium on 28 March 1963.

I am James III's great-granddaughter.  If you recognise the family please reply.

Thank you.

Sharon

Offline tracyh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Flemings of Faskine
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 April 09 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon i do not know if we have a connection but some of your surnames are particular to my own family search that I thought I would get in touch as they may be cousins to my own line of Flemings.
I have connections to Flemings (my mothers maiden name) and Watson (my mothers middle name taken from her grandmothers surname).
Also Wallace my grandfather John Fleming had an aunt Rosann Fleming who married Peter Wallace in 1887.
I have missing Flemings and I have considered the possibilty that they emigrated.
Mostly the Flemings and Watsons I have found so far came from Calton,Bridgeton or Dennistoun area of Glasgow.
Do you think we may have a connection?
Regards Tracy