Author Topic: Kennedys of Arles Queens Co  (Read 6414 times)

Offline Brian Ken

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kennedys of Arles Queens Co
« on: Sunday 05 March 06 02:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi
 I am trying to find out more info. about my g/grandfather John Kennedy & his family they came from Arles.to Australian 1856 with his brother's Robert & Michael Kennedy & their families.
Their sister Ann Kennedy was one of the Irish Orphans that came here in 1849 from the Carlow Work House, she sponsored them out to NSW.

Both their parents James Kennedy & Bridget Brennan were dead (of course) in 1849 James was a miner as were 2 of his sons John & Michael in Adelong NSW.
Evidently Arles is located near the town of Carlow,so that is why Ann was sent there. Also I believe that there were a number of coal mines located near Arles 
Any help about James & Bridget Brennan's families would be greatly appreciated as I don't know if they had any more children.

Brian

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Kennedys of Arles Queens Co
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 March 06 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
The Brennen site is excellent;
www.Brennan-Laois.com

Offline Brian Ken

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 April 06 03:24 BST (UK) »
HI.

Yes I have looked at Michael Brennan site not much joy unfortunately

I am absolutely at a dead end with my Irish G/G grand parents ; John Kennedy & Elizabeth Doyle.
Their sister Ann Kennedy, she was one of the Irish Orphans that arrived in NSW. in 1849.She was supposed to have been born in Arles,Killabban, Queens CO.
She sponsored her 3 brothers John;Robert; Michael & their families all out to NSW. in 1856.
Robert Kennedy was born in 1830 at Mayo Parish Killabban Queens Co.their 2 daughters were born in Carlow.
Michael Kennedy was born in 1832 at Arles,Killabban& his daughter was born in 1852 at Carlow.
John Kennedy was born in 1834 at Arles Killabban & his daughter born in 1856 also at Arles Killabban.
John's wife Elizabeth Doyle was born at Athy Co. Kildare in C1823.
John & Elizabeth on 27/6/1853 Queens Co. (No parish listed)

I have looked in the Griffiths Valuation without luck, does any body have any ideas to help me out? I would love to find out exactly where they lived in Queens Co IE. Townland etc.

Their parents were James Kennedy a miner & Bridget Brennan married about 1818 in Killabban.
I don't that much about the Irish records that are available if any?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am writing a book about my Father's family IE. The KENNEDY'S of Adelong NSW. and require this info. to complete it.

Regards

Brian Kennedy

From Down under

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Brian

I am researching the Kennedy family for a colleague at work in the UK. I have a James Kennedy born 1841 from Queens county Ireland.He was 40yrs in 1881 on the Census. He was married to Mary Kennedy and had 2 Children James and Mary at this stage.

Do you think there is a connection. Its just before the famine isn't it.

Do you have any other information on the family members ?

Erin
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

Offline Brian Ken

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 May 06 05:14 BST (UK) »
Erin

I don't think there is any connection between my Kennedy's & your Kennedy's?
With that though I cannot be certain, there were a number of Kennedy's listed in the Griffiths records for Queens CO.
Unfortunately I could not work out if any of my lot were there. as I said my G/G grand father was James Kennedy & his wife was Bridget Brennan, I think James had at least 7 children Mary the eldest born 1818 ,Catherine, Margaret, Robert, Michael, Anne & John the youngest born 1834. James & Bridget were both dead by 1848 so I doubt that your James Kennedy born in 1841 was still left back in Ireland unless Mary ,Catherine or Margaret looked after him.
Ann was only 17 yrs. old when she came out to Australia in 1849 & then sponsored her 3 brothers out here in 1856.

Brian

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 May 06 21:50 BST (UK) »
Brian

I shall bear you in mind if I find any further information. I am not sure yet if my James Kennedy is the right man.

Erin
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.