Author Topic: Missing father ? White  (Read 8836 times)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing father ? White
« Reply #18 on: Monday 06 March 06 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Found Charles in 1881
Jan ;)

Workhouse Lane, Leighton Buzzard
Charles Tibby Head M 47 Ag Lab Leighton
Emma do Wife M 42 Hatter Straw do
RG11/1640/71 Pg32
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline UKgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arranroots and janan!

You have been busy bees!!

Well done- eddie will be very pleased ;D.

Sorry about the Elizabeth Charles fiasco!! I had one foot out of the door on my way home, and it was VERY LATE at night ;)

But you got it all, well done.

There's certainly a lot of food for thought there.
After all that searching, they were actually at the same address 1861, 1871, 1881, and 1891!!

So William was not looked after by the "Whites" after the age of 6, if in fact at all!!

Did either of you come across a candidate for "Mr White" living in close proximity?

UKgirl

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 09:30 GMT (UK) »
I think the thing to remember here is that the census is just a snapshot of one night in a ten year period.

A lot can change over that time - think of what you have done in the last ten years!

We cannot reasonably expect Mr WHITE to be living next door on the night of the census - although it does sometimes happen!

You can be assured that if he was there, we would have spotted him!  :D

My point is that even if we suspected the neighbour's boy, it would still be along way from proving anything!  Also that the WHITEs could well have looked after William for a period of years and we would be unaware of it.  If the story about the WHITEs looking after him IS true, it could well be backed up by other evidence such as bastardy orders identifying their son as the father.  That line is worth pursuing.

Have you got a marriage cert for William, Eddie?  There is just an outside chance he might have identified his father on that.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline UKgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Arranroots,

Except in this case, it wasn't just a snapshot of one night in 10 years, it was 4 nights in 40 years.
It's very unusual for families to stay put at the same address for so long.
So, it might be that the Whites did too, or at least that they were very close by during one or more of those Censuses.

The fact that the White grandparents were supposed to have helped out and that his middle name was blatantly "White", certainly suggests that they were closely "in the picture", don't you think? As I said in my earlier post, they seem to have been kind grandparents, which is a very nice thought.

Ukgirl

PS.  And I think if the neighbours' boy happened to be a married man called White, whose parents were living nextdoor, I'd definitely place my bet on him ;D

Seriously though, we sometimes think that names like White or Smith or Jones are so numerous, that we should rule out the obvious.
I would suggest that if you forget how supposedly commonplace the name "White" seems, then if there is a White family next door, then "the obvious" is probably the thing to go with.

After all, DNA is out of the question, so you are only left with common sense and circumstantial evidence.

It's a hard life for some of us ;)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 11:41 GMT (UK) »
One thing that strikes me about this, is that the parents of Elizabeth are consistently in Leighton Buzzard and yet the baby is born in Caddington.

Elizabeth is not found yet in 1881, which means she is effectively missing for a long period.  She would likely be employed, possibly away from home in 1881.

So I looked for her in Caddington without success.

I did find a family of WHITEs in Caddington, with eligible sons.  Briefly they are:

Mathew WHITE H M 47 - straw dealer
Hannah 45
Mary 22
Edwin 19 - ag lab
Ezra 15 - ag lab
Henry 12
Mathew 9
Elizabeth 6

Chaul End, Caddington

I thought I would see what became of the sons, since we know that Elizabeth does not appear to have given birth at her parents' home - maybe that of her lover's parents?

;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Unable to locate an address that looks like Slip End in 1881 or 1891.

The WHITE family are still in Chaul End in 1891, minus Edwin who is married and has called his first daughter Elizabeth (although presumably after his sister) and his son is Hilary Edwin.

Who registered the birth Eddie?  And who were the witnesses at Elizabeth's marriage?  I wondered whether her parents maintained contact with her as they did with her son.

It was not uncommon for a husband to object to taking care of children born to his wife before her marriage & that might be a more mundane reason that the WHITEs took some part in bringing up the baby.

Arranroots  ;)

Offline UKgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

I am wondering if there is an error with the reference nos. for 1881 and 1891.

Janan provided the info, but I haven't been able to pull up the relevant images using those numbers.

I expect he was in a hurry to type it up.

If Eddie wants to have a look at it, he might have a problem.

Ukgirl

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 14:08 GMT (UK) »
No - the ref for 1881 is fine - try just putting Charles & he will pop up I am sure!

Will check the other now

;)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Yes - same trick works for 1891

Jan is usually reliable!

;)