Author Topic: McKechnies in England  (Read 2814 times)

Offline Sabretoothtiger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McKechnies in England
« on: Tuesday 07 March 06 12:16 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any descendants of Alexander McKechnie MD, Surgeon R.N. born in Scotland c1803 and his wife Mary Tipping born in London.  After marriage they  lived in the Portsea Island area and he served on various ships, at some time working at the Haslar hospital.

His children were Alexander, b1843, who became a Captain in the R.N.(married Ada Key and appears to have died with no kids); John Anderson Rae b 1845, who joined the marines (married Mary ? and had several offspring) lived in Devon at one time; William Burnett b1847 (dk what happened to him after childhood); Peter George Wallis b1849 (my gg grandfather who was a wine merchant dying in 1936); and Mary J. D. b1851.

I am looking for any connections people have to these families and any old photographs, documents etc that might relate to them. 

I also intend to start some research soon on Alexander's naval and medical career and don't want to duplicate information that someone may already have.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McKechnies in England
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 13:56 GMT (UK) »
The Times, Saturday, Mar 05, 1910; pg. 1; Issue 39212; col A
On the 4th inst, at 32, Norland-square, W, Alexander George McKechnie, RN of Folkstone, eldest son of the late  Alexander McKechnie, MD, Inspector-General of Hospitals and Fleets, RN.

The Times, Friday, Mar 08, 1907; pg. 1; Issue 38275; col A  - deaths - on the 6th at Merlswood, Worthing, aged 61, Lieut-Colonel John Anderson Rae McKechnie, late RMLI, second son of the late Alexander McKechnie

John Anderson Rae seems to be on the census m. to a Margaret S. b. Belgium (Margaret Susan Hale, m. 1870 - see freeBMD - is a possiblity)

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sabretoothtiger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.  I assume that John A R at least has living descendants, there are quite a lot of McKechnies around - some of them have to be related to me!

Offline mckechniesearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 June 21 09:40 BST (UK) »
I am researching mine and my husband's family history. My husband is a descendant of Alexander McKechnie via his daughter Mary. I have quite a bit of info on the family so should be able to fill in some gaps.