Author Topic: Petty Parish Church  (Read 58605 times)

Offline davcantray

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Petty Parish Church
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 04 September 10 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil

Yes - we have the same Janet Cameron .  Do you have details of David Cameron & Ann McKenzie's Births and Marriage ?

I only have the names. I do have a copy of Janet's Birth & Marriage entry.

My Ann Davidson was born in 1844 .

Dav

Offline NeilP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 04 September 10 20:41 BST (UK) »
Dav,

I have a copy of Janet Cameron's OPR birth entry (26th May 1767), but no information on her marriage.  My great x5 grandfather is Janet's brother William (b1775).

I have a marriage of a David Cameron and Anna McKenzie in Petty on 7th March 1758.  The only record of a birth of a David Cameron in Petty I could find (on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk) is for 5th November 1738.  His parents were William Cameron (alias McKeddie) and Helen Denune.

This is so far back I guess it is difficult to be certain that these were his parents but I am curious about the alias of McKeddie.

Also I tried to search for Helen Denune as it does not seem like a common surname and came up with was a birth in 1708, in Petty, with father Alexander Denune, parson of "Pettie".  There was also a birth in 1706 of an Ann Denune in Petty with the same father.

This page (http://www.electricscotland.com/HISTORY/cairngorm/52.htm) mentions an Alexander Denoon as minister at Petty who was "deposed for swearing, drunkenness, and other faults".

I have the images from the ScotlandsPeople website for the David Cameron and the Denunes if you are interested.

Neil

Patience - Ross & Cromarty and Petty (Inverness)

Offline Danchaslyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 09 September 10 15:15 BST (UK) »

Hello Tantan

The Petty Church is a very pretty, stone built church situated right alongside the A96, mid-way between Inverness, and Nairn.  Its not actually on the coast itself, but is near Castle Stewart  (an hotel) and privately owned Dalcross Castle.

During the past few years, Dame Helen Mirren and her American movie director husband were married at the Petty Church.

There is a graveyard attached to the Church.

Kilvarock Castle (Rose Clan) and Cawdor Castle (Campbell Clan) are nearby to.

Danchaslyn
MOE,   Norway, Swaziland, and Zululand, South Africa
JORGENSON, Hole, Ringerike, Buskurud, Norway
AITKEN,  Scotland, England, India, Island of St Helena, South Africa
LOBB,  India and London
WALSH,  India and England
SHORT,  Yorkshire, England, Island of St Helena
BATEMAN,  Island of St Helena, U.S.A.
YUILL,  U.S.A.
FIRTH,  Yorkshire, Engand
LIPTROT, various counties of England
SMITH,  various counties of England
LYNCH,  Yorkshire, England, Rhodesia and South Africa

Offline Mavey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi I was on the Internet and joined thus rootsweb as I saw the entries on petty. I was at ardesier the other day but didn't find what I was looking for as I didn't know there was another grave yard at old petty. My ancestors came to petty during the late 19th century. They came fro
 Ryrevaich little loch broom. I'm looking for Kenneth Mckenzie or his son donald and descendants. Quite a large family came to petty to become shepherds. Anything you have would be gratefully received

Offline John Newton-Davies

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Helen,  You sound as if you are something of an expert and I wonder if you can possibly help!  I'm trying to trace the birth of my 2xgreat grandfather, George McIntosh, who is given as born in Arderseir on the 1851 and 1861 census returns, at around 1818.  Witnesses to the birth of his children in Glasgow include a James McIntosh and a William McIntosh, who I take to be his brothers.  The only McIntosh family I have found in the Arderseir/Petty area at around 1815 including a James, William and George are the children of James McIntosh and Isobel Tolmie.  Their James was born in Petty in 1806 and William in Arderseir in 1812, but I can't find a birth entry for George on Scotlands People, though someone has submitted an entry on IGI of 6th August 1819.  Is there any possibility of being able to check the records I wonder?  Any advice or help would be gratefully received!

Best wishes,  John   

Offline Cuthbert-MacNeil

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 26 February 12 01:24 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone searched Cuthbert or Newton
I descend from Alexander Cuthbert and Johanna Newton
Married Dec 2, 1839
Petty St.
Rev Robt McPherson
I have the marriage certificate and I am trying to determine parents.
Alexander Cuthbert b. about 1801 Shoemaker
Parish #98?
Johanna b. 1823

Offline islaymist1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 10 February 14 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm hoping to identify a place name in a 1736 baptism in Petty Parish.

The family was living "in the Island" at the time, where the father was "servant to Donald Clark in the Island".  Maps I've consulted haven't been of help.

Suggestions?

islaymist1

Offline davcantray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Most of the families in Petty  ( Fisherton & Connage ) were fisherfolk . The  extended families lived on both sides of the Moray Firth.

"  the island " is undoubtedly   The Black Isle

Dav

Offline islaymist1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Dav,

Thank you for your insight re the Petty baptism and families "in the Island".  My husband had
wondered whether the reference wasn't to the Black Isle.  I had thought it too distant, but was thinking in terms of land travel. 

Have you come across resources with information about the fisher folk of the 18th who fished from both sides of the Moray Firth? 

Thanks again,

Islaymist1