Author Topic: Need Help with coding for my website please  (Read 7006 times)

Offline fluffnco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help with coding for my website please
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 05 October 04 12:33 BST (UK) »
Adele,

Had a look at the site, very impressive. Will you be able to create a links bar to the left of the ring binder bit ??  Where did you get the Ybook.gif from, I have seen something similar in Microsoft Outlook as a Stationary option, but is not as good as this one.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian for your comments on my page so far but I have to admit that Bob sent me the tables coding which has made it look so good.

The idea I have for setting up my page is to have it like an actual Family history book. My fella is going to make me another gif with just the cover pattern on it so it looks like the Front of the book and also one so that it looks like there is paper both sides of the spiral (as if the page has been turned). I will have a contents page with hyperlinks to each person/couple ie mother/father, grandparents,great grandparents etc at the front of the book and a name index hyperlinked to each person. It will be a lot of work but I think it will be great if I manage to pull it off :)

The ybook.gif is one I found years ago when I was setting up my geocities webpage (my first). I used to trawl sites for backgrounds and save them to floppy disc. Came across it again trawling through my floppies for a good background to use :)

Once again thanks for all the helpful advice and positive comments folks :)

Adele
Researching:
Thomson/Davies/Johnson  - (St Pancras/Shoreditch  Area London  and Monmouthsire),
Cross  -  (Burradon/Gateshead/Tynemouth areas of Newcastle on Tyne)
Anderson -  ( Gateshead/Wallsend/ Byker/Tynemouth areas of Newcastle on Tyne)
Mutch  -  (Marnoch/Aberchirder/Ellon/Inverkeithny/Fyvie/Turriff areas of Banffshire Scotland)
Riddell  -  (Marnoch/Aberchirder areas of Banffshire Scotland)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 05 October 04 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Adrian,

the site is http://de.selfhtml.org/ and you can download the whole site for reading off-line (there is a special link for this on the first page).

As a general remark for everyone just starting out on HTML: 

If you haven't done this before, remember you can try out anything you like, using a normal text editor (e.g. notepad), store it as a .htm or .html file and then look at it in your browser, offline, without actually loading it to a web space provider !

Sorry if this is re-stating the obvious, but those who "can" (me included !) are so used to it, that we sometimes forget just where the beginners begin from !!

So, try it out, and have fun !

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 14:32 BST (UK) »
Glad the table was suitable for you.

One tip to remember when working with tables is to put in the border when initially setting up the table ,even if you don't want one there at all.
The borders can show where your table might not be going the way you want and can save plenty of headscratching trying to figure it out.

To turn the command on in the initial set up eg < table border=1" > would do it and then when you have the set up you want and you don't want the borders simply change the command to border="0" and they become invisible.