Author Topic: Need Help with coding for my website please  (Read 6992 times)

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help with coding for my website please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 October 04 15:19 BST (UK) »
Adel
That is why Id rather use the good old Notepad to do the html code, these other fancy nancy ones which I have used dont do it the way I really want it.

Tables are fun when you get the hang of it
:)

Offline Adi1962

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 October 04 15:23 BST (UK) »
Adele,

You might find this site useful. Deals with a lot of "The basics" and is also useful as a referecne.

http://vzone.virgin.net/sizzling.jalfrezi/iniframe.htm

Adrian
Currently researching
GODDEN, MARSH, WATERS & HUGHES Mid Kent
BUSHROD Mid Kent/Dorset,
FURMINGER Aylesford/Maidstone/Sittingbourne - Kent

visit http://www.Kent-opc.org

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fluffnco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 October 04 15:32 BST (UK) »
I've re uploaded my origional index page if you want to view it shanko.

I'm about to edit and insert a table to keep it on the notepads page area and I guess I'll just have to plod away in notepad and add pages when I have them done.

I do seem to be having a problem deleting the files that I uploaded from my genealogy folder from the website though via my ftp programme (and there are a lot of them too!) which is confusing me  ;D but I'm easily confused so I guess that's nothing to worry about *grin*

hey off to work I go ;)

ty
Adele
Researching:
Thomson/Davies/Johnson  - (St Pancras/Shoreditch  Area London  and Monmouthsire),
Cross  -  (Burradon/Gateshead/Tynemouth areas of Newcastle on Tyne)
Anderson -  ( Gateshead/Wallsend/ Byker/Tynemouth areas of Newcastle on Tyne)
Mutch  -  (Marnoch/Aberchirder/Ellon/Inverkeithny/Fyvie/Turriff areas of Banffshire Scotland)
Riddell  -  (Marnoch/Aberchirder areas of Banffshire Scotland)

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 October 04 15:41 BST (UK) »
Adele
Youve done well :)

It looks really good, one thing I have learnt is that if you make mistakes and you spend ages fixing it you have learnt something! If I was you Id keep a copy of your html as a template incase you do delete part of the code by mistake, dont worry I have done that before!
Keep up the good work and if you get into a pickle and your pulling your hair out and screaming at the screen infront of you and cussing the computer coz its not doing it right then contact me and Ill help you

Have fun and well done!

Offline fluffnco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 October 04 15:50 BST (UK) »
Adele,

You might find this site useful. Deals with a lot of "The basics" and is also useful as a referecne.

http://vzone.virgin.net/sizzling.jalfrezi/iniframe.htm

Adrian

Adrian

Thank you so much for this site. It's Brilliant! I've bookmarked it and am about to begin my education in tables ;)

Thanks Shanko! I've kept a basic notepad file with just the html codes etc in it so all I have to do is add info etc and save as whichever page I'm upto :)

Ok guess it's make or break time. Here goes....

No rest for the wicked ;)

Adele
Researching:
Thomson/Davies/Johnson  - (St Pancras/Shoreditch  Area London  and Monmouthsire),
Cross  -  (Burradon/Gateshead/Tynemouth areas of Newcastle on Tyne)
Anderson -  ( Gateshead/Wallsend/ Byker/Tynemouth areas of Newcastle on Tyne)
Mutch  -  (Marnoch/Aberchirder/Ellon/Inverkeithny/Fyvie/Turriff areas of Banffshire Scotland)
Riddell  -  (Marnoch/Aberchirder areas of Banffshire Scotland)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 October 04 16:03 BST (UK) »
Adrian,

I'll add my thanks to Adele's.  Just browsing through it I found two ideas which I intend to incorporate in my hypertext book (which I am itching to publish on RootsChat as a website, when I get the time !).

I know a site in german, with a similar idea, but being german, it's sometimes ponderous and harder to read. On the other hand, it has more click-on examples. So the two of them together, AND a good book - I find looking at text on a page is sometimes easier to understand than scrolling up and down a screen - should give me all I need.

à propos books, I keep borrowing a book from the library "HTML 4.0" from Markt & Technik Publishing. I'll check tonight if it's a translation of an english-language book (the best ones usually are - germans again !) and post it on here.
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 October 04 08:25 BST (UK) »
Just checked out the book, but it is german, and not a translation.

But I did find another web-site tutorial, that looks easy to use:
http://freepages.computers.rootsweb.com/~pasher/dragndrop.htm

This site also has links to other sites. Not every (tutorial) site appeals to everbody, some sites may answer a particular question better than another, so try them all, to find the one  that you feel is right for you !
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Adi1962

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 October 04 12:16 BST (UK) »
Adele,

Had a look at the site, very impressive. Will you be able to create a links bar to the left of the ring binder bit ??  Where did you get the Ybook.gif from, I have seen something similar in Microsoft Outlook as a Stationary option, but is not as good as this one.

Bob,

The German site might be interesting. My German is a little rusty but could probably cope. Always was better at technical German than conversational anyway.  I use a book called Using HTML 4 (6th Edition) by Molly E Holzschlag published by QUE

Adrian
Currently researching
BUSHROD Mid Kent/Dorset,

Offline Adi1962

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 October 04 12:28 BST (UK) »
But I did find another web-site tutorial, that looks easy to use:
http://freepages.computers.rootsweb.com/~pasher/dragndrop.htm

Bob,
never seen that site before, thanks. Tried that drag and drop before but had so many problems ended up staying with CuteFTP.
I must admit (as Trystan will confirm) my HTML is not brilliant and I am not too ashamed to admit I still at the bottom of the learning curve (A reformed GUI users) and these sort of sites are great reference points.

Adrian
Currently researching
BUSHROD Mid Kent/Dorset,