Author Topic: County of Wellington, Gazetteer and Directory for 1871-72 (Ontario)  (Read 4118 times)

Offline lvninthepast

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
County of Wellington, Gazetteer and Directory for 1871-72 (Ontario)
« on: Thursday 09 March 06 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi ;) I have access to the Gazetteer and Directory for the County of Wellington (1871-72) and will gladly look for your surname interests.  Please provide the name, town, village or post office area of your relative and I can take a look.  This county is in Ontario, Canada and includes : Alma, Clifford, Elora, Eden Mills, Fergus, Guelph, Harriston, Mount Forest, Orangeville, Teviotdale, Salem and parts of  Hamilton. Thanks, Rhondda
Green (Glamorgan)<br />Hunt (Taff Well, Pontypridd, Bethnal Green)<br />Pugsley (Bristol) Aston (Pontycymmer)<br />Winn,<br />Springer<br />Spearing<br />Barnett<br />Hickey<br />McCann<br />Broadbent (Oldham)<br />Census information for  U.K. data is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Canadian census information: copyright Government of Canada (Library  Archives Canada) <br />Every reasonable effort has been made to verify copyright/source information

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: County of Wellington, Gazetteer and Directory for 1871-72 (Ontario)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 March 06 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rhondda,

I'll take you up on that offer if you don't mind....

My gr-gr grandfather John/Jno Heffernan living in Marden, Ontario or it may say Nichol Twp. (just outside Guelph).  He is the son of John & Mary Heffernan.

Thanks,
Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline lvninthepast

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 March 06 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen,
I've gone through the directory and found the following:

Marden: A post village in the township of Guelph.  Four miles from Guelph.
C. McD. Blyth, postmaster.

Nothing on Nichol TWP.

I checked through every village and town for Heffernan and didn't find any.  I did find Hefferman's living in the town of Guelph. 

Hefferman, Mrs. Eliza., wid Patrick, Surrey
Hefferman, Daniel, prop. Victoria Hotel, Wyndham
Hefferman, Joseph, of Heffernan Bros., h Waterloo road {Heffernan was how it was spelled}
Hefferman Bros., dry goods and clothing, Wyndham
{that time it was spelled Hefferman}

Then I checked the Farmers of Wellington county section.
f means freeholder, h means householder

ERAMOSA TOWNSHIP

Hefferman, Michael, 1 29 f
Hefferman, Daniel, 6 27 f
Heffernan. John, 7 16 f
Heffernan, Patrick, 7 28 f

GUELPH TOWNSHIP

Heffernan, Chas., 2 d 27 h
Heffernan, John, 2 d 28 f
Heffernan, Pat. and Thos., 1 8 f

NICHOL TOWNSHIP

Heffernan, Owen., 8 2 f
Heffernan, Jas., 4 9 h
Heffernan, John 10 3 f
Heffernan, Jas., 10 4 f
Heffernan, Owen., 10 4 f

PEEL TOWNSHIP

Heffernan, John, b 11 f
Heffernan, Thos., 18 15 h

I am uncertain what the letters other than f and h are. I am looking into that for you and will let you know as soon as I have figured it out ;) Hope this helps a bit,
Rhondda
Green (Glamorgan)<br />Hunt (Taff Well, Pontypridd, Bethnal Green)<br />Pugsley (Bristol) Aston (Pontycymmer)<br />Winn,<br />Springer<br />Spearing<br />Barnett<br />Hickey<br />McCann<br />Broadbent (Oldham)<br />Census information for  U.K. data is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Canadian census information: copyright Government of Canada (Library  Archives Canada) <br />Every reasonable effort has been made to verify copyright/source information

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 March 06 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rhondda,

Thanks very much for that.   That looks like most of my Heffernan's.    :)

On the Nichol Twp. ones is there a Junction Hotel mentioned in the book?  I know that my gr-grandmother was born in 1880 when they were running the Junction Hotel.

Thanks again,
Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline lvninthepast

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 March 06 03:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen, I went through the book again and I haven't been able to find anything on the Junction Hotel.  I added a couple links below that may be of interest to you. 

http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/~marj/genealogy/genealogy.html

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/cache/NationalSummary.jsp

This is the 1901 Census information that is online for Canada.  It is an excellent source of information. 

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/cache/NationalSummary.jsp

The last link above is for the Alberta Family Histories Society and it is by far the best source I have found for census information in Canada.  I have found a great deal of information on Ontario Censuses here.

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/SurnameList.jsp?province=ON&surname=heffernan&initial=+
Not sure if the link above will work but it will show the 199 matching records for Heffernan..  I would also check under various spellings because some of my Barnetts were listed quite differently due to handwriting on the original census sheets.

take care,
Rhondda

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 March 06 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for checking on the Junction Hotel and those links. 

It's amazing how they misspell things and I find with Heffernan, the "rn" gets mixed up for the "m".  Even looking at this message I find "rn" hard to read  :)

Thanks again,
Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England