Author Topic: Adding a smiling circle  (Read 1601 times)

Offline Rosh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adding a smiling circle
« on: Friday 10 March 06 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Recently I send a email to someone on this site and included one of the round smiling faces. When a saw my message it had the smiling face but also some text after it. The text seemed to be  generated by the computer discribing the face etc.

So what did I do wrong?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adding a smiling circle
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 March 06 06:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosh,

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

My guess is that there where no spaces between the smily and the text

e.g when I add a smiley here::)without a space after the the smiley, then it shows up as : and )
and when I add a smiley here: ;Dwithout a space after the the smiley, then it shows up as ; and D

If I add a space after the the smiley, then it appears as :) which is what we want  :D
If I add a space after the the smiley, then it appears as :D which is what we want  :D

Links are similar:

if I write a link -- www.somewhere.com it comes up automatically as a link
if I write a link--www.somewhere.com i.e. without a space between the - and the www, then it comes up as plain text.
but if I write a link www.somewhere.com-- then it still comes up as a link  ;D

So, leave a space before a link, and leave a space after a smiley

Bob

ps if I 'quote' a posting with smilies in it, sometimes they come up as text aswell
for instance I posted ' .... Thanks  :)   :D ...' in another posting.
when I copy and past that into a quote here, then, lo and behold !!
Thanks  Smiley Cheesy 
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

My research interests (and data found) can be seen on my website:   http://www.margulies-chronicles.com/

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.