Author Topic: Harris, Madeley  (Read 1604 times)

Offline sharmar

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad Woodvine
    • View Profile
Harris, Madeley
« on: Saturday 11 March 06 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Looking for decendants of James Harris who married Margaret Buckley 1880's had loads of children and lived a Canal Row, Blests Hill, Madeley.
Harris(Madeley), Harris(Ironbridge) Woodvine (Dawley & anywhere else), Britton (Broseley), Hoof (Wombridge, Dawley, Shifnal), Perry (Dawley & Wellington, Deakin (Wellington), Humphries (Wombridge & Dawley), Underwood (Hinkshay) Davies (Grinshall area), Buckley (Madeley) Hamphlett (various spellings Madeley).

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Harris, Madeley
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 March 06 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Have you found the family on any of the census returns?

Jan :)
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline sharmar

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad Woodvine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 March 06 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have, but my father tells me that there were 3 families of Harris' in Madeley and not related to one another so I need help in sorting who belongs to who!!! Also James (my great grandfather) had 22 children so you can see the problem that I face!!!!
Harris(Madeley), Harris(Ironbridge) Woodvine (Dawley & anywhere else), Britton (Broseley), Hoof (Wombridge, Dawley, Shifnal), Perry (Dawley & Wellington, Deakin (Wellington), Humphries (Wombridge & Dawley), Underwood (Hinkshay) Davies (Grinshall area), Buckley (Madeley) Hamphlett (various spellings Madeley).

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 March 06 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Have you got James and Margaret's marriage certificate for starters? :)

Do you know where they were born and what year?

Jan

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 March 06 22:32 GMT (UK) »
I had a look at 1901 and found James, Margaret and their large brood at Blists Hill, Madeley.

According to the image James and Margaret were born in Ironbridge.

There is a marriage record on Free BMD (in case you hadn't got the marriage certificate):

Marriage December Quarter 1886
Margaret Buckley and James Harris
District: Madeley
Volume: 6a
Page: 1240

CLICK HERE to take you to the General Register Office site to order the certificate. 

From this, you will get the father's names and occupations, and also check out the witnesses as sometimes they were often relatives.

When you know the father's names you should then be able to find Margaret and James on the previous census - hopefully the correct ones!!!!!!

What is it you are trying to find out about your Great Grandfather James?  Let us know what information you have so far.

Jan

Offline sharmar

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad Woodvine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 April 06 20:23 BST (UK) »
As I have said they had a large brood and family says that none of them were twins and that Margaret had her last one aged 52, not impossible I know but is this unusual?

Offline sharmar

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad Woodvine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 April 06 20:32 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was born in 1902 and therefore not on the 1901 census and if his parents married in 1886 and he was born 16 years later and I know of sixteen children including him and I know of one more daughter after him, so i'm a few short!