Author Topic: Help! 1841  (Read 15611 times)

Offline st_vincent77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help! 1841
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 22 September 13 01:40 BST (UK) »
I am wondering about a Vincent record I found that doesn't seem to be connected to any other. It's from the 1881 census. It shows the following:

Household   Gender   Age   Birthplace
Head   William Vincent   M   44    North Chapel, Sussex, England
Wife   Mary Ann Vincent   F   43    Cuckfield, Sussex, England
Son    William G Vincent   M   9    Pimlico, Middlesex, England
Daughter   Mary E Vincent   F   16    Pimlico, Middlesex, England
Daughter   Louisa Vincent   F   14    Pimlico, Middlesex, England
Daughter   Margaret E Vincent   F   12    Pimlico, Middlesex, England
Daughter   Violet Vincent   F   10    Pimlico, Middlesex, England
Father In Law   Samuel Michell   M   70    Cuckfield, Sussex, England

The Samuel Mitchell mentioned appears to be the son of another Samuel Mitchell and the grandson of yet another Samuel Mitchell. Beyond that, I cannot see any other connections for this family before or after this record.  I am wondering whether William Vincent is connected to the Vincents of Cuckfield/Cowfold.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 22 September 13 08:38 BST (UK) »
There were several Mitchell/Michell families in Cuckfield at that sort of time.    One Samuel ran the post office and another was a grocer if my memory serves me right.  The one in this 1881 record is a carpenter.
William is an army volunteer according to the census so maybe his army record is available to view?
North Chapel is in the Chichester area so a long way from Cuckfield.  I wonder how they met?  I assume they married in Pimlico as I can't see a marriage in Cuckfield. 

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 22 September 13 09:23 BST (UK) »
They married in the Lambeth district in 1864.   In 1871 the older children are with grandfather Samuel in Cuckfield and William, Mary Ann and Violet age 8 months are in Ebury St, Westminster. 
RG10 112 57 5
He is an attendant at the British museum, as he is in 1881.  Have not yet found him earlier.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 22 September 13 09:52 BST (UK) »
Baptism at St Michael's Northchapel 24 July 1836.  William Vincent, son of George and Margaret Vincent.   George is a coachman of London.
George Vincent, a widower of Kirdford, married Margaret Mann in Northchapel 30 March 1836.
In 1841 they are in Richmond Surrey.
The 1851 census shows that George Vincent is born in ?Sudbury ?Suffolk, though it is hard to read.   Not Sussex anyway so a red herring re Sussex Vincent families.  HO107 1476 320 10

Edit - 1871 is clearer and it is Sudbury.

Offline st_vincent77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 22 September 13 17:44 BST (UK) »
Wow! Impressive work.  :) Thanks.

Offline st_vincent77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 02 September 17 20:42 BST (UK) »
I came across a random marriage record. And I was hoping to see if anyone knew more about this couple.

Stephen Vincent married Louisa Juniper on 26 May 1839 in Cuckfield, Sussex, England. Father of the groom is James Vincent. Father of the bride is Samuel Juniper. Other than that, I can't identify any mothers, grandparents, or children.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 03 September 17 10:02 BST (UK) »
Louisa was baptised at Cuckfield in 1810.  Father Samuel, mother Louisa.
Have you been able to find the Vincents in any census records?

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 03 September 17 10:23 BST (UK) »
Possibly got this Stephen in my tree but I don't have a marriage for him.  I have him as baptised on 10 November 1821 at Cuckfield to James Vincent and Sarah Agate.  (See my post on page 1 of this thread)

Is this the one?

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline st_vincent77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 03 September 17 22:16 BST (UK) »
As always, thank you, thank you. I am very glad I asked. I too have James Vincent and Sarah Agate in my line. But I mistakenly had Stephen Vincent as marrying Fanny Kennard. But your message made re-examine that. It looks the records for the Stephen Vincent-Fanny Kennard marriage (October 13, 1839 in Lewes, Sussex) show John Vincent as Stephen's father. That, of course, means James is not that Stephen's father.

I think, then, means that the Stephen Vincent in Stephen Vincent-Louisa Juniper marriage is most likely the son of James Vincent and Sarah Agate.