Author Topic: Foreigners in Maryport - Hinds Mitchinson  (Read 2284 times)

Offline decco

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Foreigners in Maryport - Hinds Mitchinson
« on: Sunday 12 March 06 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello

this family tree searching has become addictive!

I was told by a relative that we had black blood in the family. Since this rumour started at my nan's funeral some years ago my fathers cousin has been told my Drs that she has black blood cells.

I was also told that the man was a seacaptain. I have since found that my great great great grandad  had the surname Hinds and on the 51, 61 and 71 census he was always at sea.  The occupation would either say Captain or master seaman.

the other rumour was that he came from 'wherever' on board and that whilst in dock at Maryport fell ill. The ship then set sail forgetting him!

He went on to marry Elizabeth (born 1818 Liverpool, dressmaker) and had  5 children, Thomas Frances,  Mary, Ann and John (who was a ships carpenter).

Can anyone help by telling me where to find ships list that docked in Maryport or anything you think may help me.

thanks

Dixon, Hambrook, Newings - Kent
Jackson - St.Helens, Milnrow, Oldham - Lanc
Hinds, Mitchinson - Maryport Cumberland
Middleton - Chelsea, Islington and Norfolk
Tucker - Maidstone - Kent
Tuck - Barmin - Maidstone

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Foreigners in Maryport - Hinds Mitchinson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 March 06 21:01 GMT (UK) »
The first step would be to get the birth or marriage certificate of one of their children which would give you his name and occupation.

If he was a Captain in the Merchant Navy then his records would be at Kew:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/Leaflets/ri2200.htm

The Cumbria Archives - in particular the Carlisle Record Office - might have information about ships registered at Kew etc:
http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/archives/recordoffices/carec.asp
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 March 06 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Also, in the 1858 Post Office Directory of Cumberland, listed uner Mariners, there is a T. Hinds, High Street, Maryport.

Post Office Directory of Cumberland & Westmorland, 1873 shows a Thomas Hinds, 14 High Street, Private Resident.  Possibly him?

And if you are thinking of getting a certificate I'd suggesting making a birth certificate - that way you'd get Elizabeth's maiden name, too.

Offline decco

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 March 06 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for that.  ELizabeth had a son called Thomas Hinds  so that is probably him.

Can you point me in the right direction of how to go about sending for a certificate.

Kerrie
Dixon, Hambrook, Newings - Kent
Jackson - St.Helens, Milnrow, Oldham - Lanc
Hinds, Mitchinson - Maryport Cumberland
Middleton - Chelsea, Islington and Norfolk
Tucker - Maidstone - Kent
Tuck - Barmin - Maidstone

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 March 06 11:24 GMT (UK) »
The first thing is to find the birth of one of the children on the birth indexes.  The birth indexes are arranged by quarter (each year being divided into Jan/Feb/Mar, April/May/June, July/Aug/Sep, and Oct/Nov/Dec quarters - often refered to as March, June, September and December quarters) and the places are sorted into the Registration District which for Maryport was Cockermouth.

You can search the indexes (partially indexed at freebmd.rootsweb.com) or look at the images: http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=8964

To order the certificate you should have name, quarter, year, registration district and then two numbers, volume and page.  You can order online.   If you're having trouble finding them post again with the ages of the children/full details from the census and I'll see if I can help.

Incidentally there are some children chrs. Maryport to a Thomas Hinds and Ruth and this couple appear in 1881 in Birkenhead, Thomas listed as a master mariner - so the "T. Hinds" from the directories is probably a red herring.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 March 06 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Incidentally there are some children chrs. Maryport to a Thomas Hinds and Ruth and this couple appear in 1881 in Birkenhead, Thomas listed as a master mariner - so the "T. Hinds" from the directories is probably a red herring.

This couple were in London (St Botolph-without-Aldgate) in 1871, Thomas a master mariner from Fealby (mistranscription for Tealby??) Lincs, and Ruth's birthplace given as Maryport, Cumberland.

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)