Author Topic: francis lawrence -harwich,england help please - 1871  (Read 4325 times)

Offline grub

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Xander
    • View Profile
Re:francis lawrence -harwich,england help please - 1871
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 April 04 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Jaq
Please accept my apologies.  I did not find any more Lawrence's on that particular film and thought I had responded.
I found my "Bayley bunch"   They were in Shropshire prior to Harwich.  

Thomas Bayley was a "railway superintendent", imagine with the GER also. Would be nice to have a friend who specializes....LOL.   I believe he went from Harwich to India, and have no clue where he went from there.
His second wife and children are in Blackburn, Lancs in 1881......no sign of him.

Regards,
Grub

Regards,
Grub

Bayley, Dorset, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cheshire and others.
Antrobus, Somerset/Glouster
Skelton, Heslington, Yorkshire
James, Norfolk, and London
Delasalle, London area
Gravett/Grevet, Surrey
Also searching the above in Australia

“Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Harwich

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re:francis lawrence -harwich,england help please - 1871
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 January 17 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Would it be possible to use some text regarding Captain Lawrence for the Harwich and Dovercourt website ?

many thanks
Steve
many thanks,grub for your reply and kind offer which is much appreciated.
in the meantime, i have harwich 1851 and 1861 census indexes if i can be of help to you.
also, the persons you are looking for may be on the PRO names disks,let me know what names you are researching.
i managed to get Francis birth,marriage certs and can now prove he was SON and not grandson as 1881 reported [just goes to show, even mistakes on 1881 census  ???
i emailed the harwich society for advise and had this reply in answer to my query about ships my two francis's were captain of:

"Thank you for your message sent to the Harwich Society web site recently. I have sought out some information and if I find out any more, I will email you further.

SS Adelaide - This vessel was the last paddle steamer to be ordered by the Great Eastern Railway Company. She was built by Barrow Shipbuilding Co Ltd, being launched on 8th May 1880 by Mrs Simpson, wife of one of the Directors of GER. The new ship arrived at Harwich from the builders on 20th May 1880 and commenced service between Harwich and Rotterdam on 29th May. She provided accommodation for 149 passengers as well as pens for sheep and cattle and general cargo was also carried.

The vessel was 260ft long, had a 32ft 4in beam, her gross tonnage being 969 and maximum speed of 14.5 knots.

After a fairly uneventful service, Adelaide was sold in December 1896 for scrapping though her breaking up did not commence until the following June.

Captain Lawrence (this is Capt L junior, probably the 2nd son) - was Master of the SS Colchester when the ship was harassed by German submarines on 11th December 1914. He received a gold watch for his valour. When the ship was captured by the Germans on 22nd September 1916, Capt L was on leave, his place being taken by his Mate, Frank Bennett.

Captain Lawrence was pallbearer at Capt Fryatt' funeral, a photo of this is held at the Redoubt Fort.

Capt L became the first Master of SS Bruges which entered service between Harwich and Antwerp in Oct 1920. He stayed with this ship until he retired on 14th Nov 1925. Bruges was a 2949 gross ton passenger ship.

Further information about GER crew can be found in the GER crew records held at Kew Records Office, London.

Hope you find this of use. I will be in touch again
Aileen Farnell

Further information from our Town Archivist:
The Trade Directory of 1878 shows Capt Francis Lawrence residing at 'New Road' Harwich. No specific house is identified in these directories (or in the Rate Books). In 1882 the entry reads: Captain Francis Lawrence, Main Road. i assume it is the same address. The road would have been labelled 'new' to distinguish it from the 'old' road which was blocked off by the Redoubt. My assumption would be that the house was located in the Main Road opposite Cox's Pond, anywhere between Station Rd and the old Main Road School.
If I can find out anything else about your enquiry, I will contact you again. If you go to www.streetmap.com <http://www.streetmap.com> you can look up the area spoken about above by using the postcodes - CO12 3LU and CO12 3LP. Hope this helps. "
all the best
jaq

Offline jaq

• RootsChat Senior
  • willing to share resources
    • View Profile
Re: francis lawrence -harwich,england help please - 1871
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 January 17 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes of course Steve
Appleby Appleton Bass Dewey Dilks ELEY Fox Foy Frankland Furnivall Hammond Hume lawrence Lewis Manning Moody Muschamp Peck Plumley Spalding Spencer Thurston Watson Willsher Wright Youngs
---
Balls Barker Burton Cambridge Cook Dow Freeman Goody Harrington Mitchell Mitson Penn*ck Playford Smith

Offline Harwich

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: francis lawrence -harwich,england help please - 1871
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 January 17 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank u