Author Topic: 1841 Census Faversham Kent  (Read 11939 times)

Offline Logdore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1841 Census Faversham Kent
« on: Tuesday 14 March 06 13:32 GMT (UK) »
I would be grateful for a lookup of the following family in Faversham in 1841 please:

Stephen Monger born 1788
Amelia Monger born 1793
and their son Charles Stephen Monger born 1820

Many thanks

David

Offline susie956

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census Faversham Kent
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 March 06 05:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

I could not see your family in Faversham 1841.  Did they have any more children born elsewhere?  Perhaps we could look there.

Regards
Sue
researching Bateup & Butchers from Mountfield, Sussex & Horsemonden, Kent.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Logdore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 March 06 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Thanks for looking for me.

I'm not sure about any other children at present, but I know that by 1851 Stephen and Amelia were living in Reculver, Kent. Charles had by then moved to Cornwall (both he and his father were coastguards).

Regards

David

Offline susie956

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 March 06 02:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

I am afraid I cannot look up Reculver 1841 as it is missing sorry about that.
Good luck with your research.

Regards
Sue
researching Bateup & Butchers from Mountfield, Sussex & Horsemonden, Kent.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Logdore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 March 06 07:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

Thank you for trying for me.

David

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 April 06 07:18 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

I am well-acquainted with your Monger family.  Several of my Faversham lines intermarried with Mongers and I completed extensive research of the family not only to chase down the line that were responsible for settling part of Western Australia, but, also, for another Monger descendant, Anthony Stebbing of Cornwall - a distant cousin of mine.  He prepared a paper awhile back for one of the society's in Kent.

At any rate, I have bags of Monger info. Here followeth only the tip of the iceberg. 

Stephen MONGER [48]  (ascent: John, Henry, Henry, George, George) was christened on 6 Feb 1785 in Faversham, Kent, England. He was buried [49]  on 6 Jun 1867 in Faversham, Kent, England.

Stephen married Amelia [50]  about 1813. Amelia was born about 1793 in Canterbury, Kent, England. She died [51]  on 17 Nov 1878 in Herne Bay, Kent, England.

They had the following children:
i.   Daughter MONGER  was born about 1815.
ii.   Mary MONGER  was christened on 5 Aug 1816 in Faversham, Kent, England. She was buried on 7 Aug 1816 in Faversham, Kent, England.
iii.   Thomas MONGER 52  was christened on 31 Dec 1817 in Faversham, Kent, England.
iv.   Charles Stephen MONGER 53  was christened on 30 Jan 1820 in Faversham, Kent, England.
v.   Robert MONGER  was christened on 10 Mar 1822.
vi.   John MONGER  was born in Nov 1825. He died on 1 Jul 1903.

Notes:
[48]   Coast Guard, England, Fleet List  (Not published)."Stephen Monger, Discharge (reason, date, particulars, etc.): discharged at Malahide, Ireland, 16 January 1822."
[49]   Register General for England, Kew, Surrey, England, Certified copy of an entry of Death  (England, Kew:  Office of National Statistics), District of Herne, Certificate #HC285556, issued 25 Aug 1994, Office of National Statistics, 1 Myddleton Street, Kew, Surrey, England."No. 43, 6th June 1867 at The Bay, Herne, Stephen Monger, male, 82 years, late a coast guard, cause of death Natural decay 2 months certified, informant was John Monger in attendance, informant's residence was the coast guard station, The Bay, Herne, death registered on 7th June 1867."
[50]   Office of National Statistics, Kew, Surrey, England, 1871 Census, England and Wales  (U.S.A., Salt Lake City:  Genealogical Society of Utah), District Whitstable, D8, Herne, Kent, p 20, LDS Film #0838717-8, 2 Apr 1871, Family History Library, 35 North West Temple Street, Salt Lake City, Utah  84150, USA."#107, Mortimer Street, Herne,Amelia Monger, head, widow, 78, lodginghouse keeper, born Canterbury."
[51]   Register General for England, Kew, Surrey, England, Certified copy of an entry of Death , District of Blean, S-D Herne, Kent Certificate #HC285558, 5 Sep 1994."No. 261, 17th November 1878 at Mortimer Street, Herne Bay, Amelia Monger, female, aged 85
years, widow of coast guard, cause of death old age, dyspepsia 7 days certified by John Bowes, L.R.C.P., informant was Sarah Harlow, granddaughter in attendance, informant resides at Mortimer Street, Herne Bay, registered 21st November 1878."

Will send additional generations by separate posts in order to help them straight.  I'm sure that once you get all this information under your belt you may want to contact me offline - email address removed by moderator - please use the secure Rootschat personal message function to exchange email addresses - thankyou.  I think somewhere amongst my Monger files is the 1841 census data you requested.

Best wishes,
Susan
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 April 06 07:24 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

Here's Stephen Monger's father:

John MONGER [27,28]  (Henry, Henry, George, George) was christened on 15 Jul 1744 in Faversham, Kent, England. He was buried [29]  on 9 Jun 1837 in Faversham, Kent, England.

John married [30]  Mary SLATER  on 29 Nov 1767 in Faversham, Kent, England. Mary was born about 1746. She was buried [31]  on 11 Aug 1818 in Faversham, Kent, England.

I have not found a christening for a Mary Slater in the vicinity of Faversham.  However, there is
a Henry and Mary Slater who christen one child at Faversham - Susan on 14 March 1762.  Henry
Slater was then buried on 6 Mar 1673 and the daughter, Susan Slater, was buried on 1 February
1764.  No marriage for Henry Slater and Mary has turned up in Faversham, either.  It may be
that this Mary Slater had been the wife and widow of Henry.  But further research is required
before this hypothesis can be adopted.

John and Mary had the following children:
i.   Mary Elizabeth MONGER  was christened on 5 Jun 1768 in Faversham, Kent, England. She was buried on 4 Nov 1768 in Faversham, Kent, England.

ii.   George MONGER  was christened on 4 Jun 1769 in Faversham, Kent, England. He was buried [32]  on 30 Aug 1850 in Faversham, Kent, England.

iii.   Henry MONGER  was christened on 4 Jun 1769.

iv.   Sarah MONGER  was christened on 25 Nov 1770 in Faversham, Kent, England. She was buried on 10 Mar 1773 in Faversham, Kent, England.

v.   Mary MONGER  was christened on 27 Oct 1771 in Faversham, Kent, England. She was buried on 11 Jan 1774 in Faversham, Kent, England.

vi.   John MONGER  was christened on 29 Nov 1772.

vii.   William MONGER  was christened on 21 Aug 1774. He was buried in 1865.

viii.   Edward MONGER  was christened on 30 Mar 1777. He was buried on 9 Dec 1845.

ix.   Stephen MONGER  was christened on 10 Jan 1779 in Faversham, Kent, England. He was buried on 4 Feb 1782 in Faversham, Kent, England.

x.   Ann Mary MONGER  was christened on 15 Oct 1780 in Faversham, Kent, England.

xi.   Mary Elizabeth MONGER  was christened on 2 Feb 1783 in Faversham, Kent, England.

xii.   Stephen MONGER  was christened on 6 Feb 1785. He was buried on 6 Jun 1867.  Married Amelia.

xiii.   Elizabeth MONGER  was christened on 15 Jun 1788 in Faversham, Kent, England.

xiv.   Sarah MONGER  was christened on 18 May 1791 in Faversham, Kent, England. She was buried on 22 May 1791 in Faversham, Kent, England.

NOTES:
[27]   Manor Court Rentals Book and Court Baron Minutes , Faversham Manor, LDS Film #1850144; 1850205-206, Various."1766 - West side Preston Street:  tenant of record:  John Monger, late occupant John Dane, now Jane Jarvis - John Dane devised to his grandson, John Monger.  Relief paid, fealty done, tenant admitted."
[28]   Manor Court Rentals Book and Court Baron Minutes , Faversham Manor, LDS Film #1850144;
1850205-206, Various."1810:  North side of West Street:  for three tenements plus a garden which is in back of a lane called Water Lane.  One tenement occupied by John Monger to settle rents due "yearly from thence" [sic] John Monger, 1 shilling, 6 pence.  Relief paid and tenant admitted.  John Monger being absent fealty is respited.NOTE:  This entry appears with a similar entry for Margaret Strains for property formerly occupied by Edward Strains.  I do not know if the Edward Strains is the husband of Sarah Monger, or some other Edward.  Similarly, I do not know if this is the John Monger that is referred to in this entry.  It may well be that the entry refers to this John's son, John."
[29]   Church of England, Canterbury Cathedral Archives, Canterbury, Kent, England, Bishop's Transcript, England , Faversham, Kent, England LDS Film #1786453, 9 Jun 1837.Age recorded on death was 93 years.
[30]   Church of England, Canterbury Cathedral Archives, Parish Registers , Faversham, Kent, England LDS Film #1886147, 29 Nov 1767.
[31]   Church of England, Canterbury Cathedral Archives, Canterbury, Kent, England, Bishop's Transcript, England , Faversham, Kent, England LDS Film #1786453, 11 Aug 1818.Age recorded on death was 72 years.
[32]   Church of England, Canterbury Cathedral Archives, Canterbury, Kent, England, Bishop's Transcript, England , Faversham, Kent, England LDS Film #1786453, 30 Aug 1850.Age recorded on burial is 82 years.
CRN-Hocking
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 April 06 07:29 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

Here's Stephen Monger's grandfather:

Henry MONGER  (Henry, George, George) was christened [24]  on 5 Jan 1724 in Faversham, Kent, England.

Henry married [25]  (1) Jane DANE  daughter of John DANE and Martha on 26 Feb 1743 in Harbledown, Kent, England. Jane was christened [26]  on 26 Dec 1723 in Ospringe, Kent, England. She was buried on 1 Jul 1750 in Faversham, Kent, England.

Jane, as she had delivered a child shortly before her own death, in the custom of the times, she
had to be re-baptised - purified almost - before she could be received back in church.  This
practise was referred to as "Churching".  Accordingly, I do not find it unusual to see a baptism
for a Jane Monger on the same day as her death.  Frances would have been the child she had
delivered.  Unfortunately, Frances did not survive either.

Henry and Jane had the following children:

i.   John MONGER  was christened on 15 Jul 1744. He was buried on 9 Jun 1837.  Married Mary SLATER.

ii.   Henry MONGER  was christened on 9 Mar 1746 in Faversham, Kent, England. He was buried on 22 Feb 1751 in Faversham, Kent, England.

iii.   Elizabeth MONGER  was christened on 3 Apr 1748 in Faversham, Kent, England.

iv.   Frances MONGER  was christened on 15 Jul 1750 in Faversham, Kent, England. She was buried on 16 Oct 1750 in Faversham, Kent, England.

Henry 2nd married Mary BRADFORD  on 16 Apr 1754 in Faversham, Kent, England.

v.   Mary MONGER  was christened on 16 Nov 1755.

NOTES:
[24]   Church of England, Canterbury Cathedral Archives, Archdeacon's Transcript , Faversham, Kent, England LDS Film #1751866, 5 Jan 1724.
[25]   Church of England, Canterbury Cathedral Archives, Canterbury, Kent, England, Bishop's Transcript, England  (U.S.A., Salt Lake City:  Genealogical Society of Utah), Harbledown, Kent, England LDS Film #1736724, 26 Feb 1743, Family History Library, 35 North West Temple Street, Salt Lake City, Utah  84150, USA.
[26]   Church of England, Canterbury Cathedral Archives, Parish Registers , Ospringe, Kent, England LDS Film #1836248, 26 Dec 1723.
CRN-Hocking
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 April 06 07:35 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

Here's Stephen Monger's great-grandfather:

Henry MONGER  (George, George) was christened [15]  on 10 Nov 1696 in Faversham, Kent, England. He was buried [16]  on 3 Jun 1782 in Faversham, Kent, England.

Henry married [17]  (1) Sarah HUGHES  on 3 Apr 1721 in Ospringe, Kent, England. Sarah was buried [18]  on 1 Oct 1741 in Faversham, Kent, England.

i.   George MONGER  was born in 1722 in Faversham, Kent, England.
George married [19]  Sarah GREEDHURST  on 1 Apr 1750 in Ospringe, Kent, England. Sarah was buried [20]  on 23 Apr 1793 in Faversham, Kent, England.

ii.   Henry MONGER  was christened on 5 Jan 1724.

iii.   Stephen MONGER  was christened on 23 Feb 1726 in Faversham, Kent, England.
Stephen married [21]  Mary PEPPER  in 1746 in Kent, England. Mary was christened on 7 Nov 1722 in Faversham, Kent, England.

iv.   Sarah MONGER  was christened on 21 Sep 1729.

v.   Mary MONGER  was christened on 10 Jun 1733 in Faversham, Kent, England.

vi.   Joseph MONGER  was christened on 21 Dec 1735 in Faversham, Kent, England. He was buried on 17 Jan 1736 in Faversham, Kent, England.

vii.   Mary MONGER  was christened on 21 Dec 1735 in Faversham, Kent, England. She was buried on 30 Dec 1735 in Faversham, Kent, England.

Henry 2nd married  Catherine LUCAS  on 13 Jul 1746 in Faversham, Kent, England. Catherine was christened on 25 Sep 1706 in Faversham, Kent, England. She was buried on 5 Oct 1775 in Faversham, Kent, England.

She was the widow of Robert Pope and the marriage to Henry Monger was in her married name
of Pope.

Henry and Catherine had the following children:

viii.   William MONGER  was christened on 17 May 1747 in Faversham, Kent, England.

ix.   Sarah MONGER  was christened on 20 Jan 1751 in Faversham, Kent, England.

NOTES:
[15]   Church of England, Canterbury Cathedral Archives, Parish Registers , Faversham, Kent, England LDS Film #1886089, 10 Nov 1696.
[16]   Church of England, Canterbury Cathedral Archives, Parish Registers , Faversham, Kent, England LDS Film #1886089, 3 Jun 1782.
[17]   Church of England, Canterbury Cathedral Archives, Parish Registers , Ospringe, Kent, England LDS Film #1836248, 3 Apr 1721.
[18]   Church of England, Canterbury Cathedral Archives, Archdeacon's Transcript , Faversham, Kent, England LDS Film #1751866, 1 Oct 1741.
[19]   Church of England, Canterbury Cathedral Archives, Parish Registers , Ospringe, Kent, England LDS Film #1836248, 1 Apr 1750."Licence reads:  George MONGER, bachelor, licence dated 31 Mar 1750  & Sarah Greedhurst, spinster, BO Ospringe, at Ospringe or Faversham."Marriage was by licence.  Licence found in Canterbury Marriage Licences, by Cowper.
[20]   Church of England, Canterbury Cathedral Archives, Archdeacon's Transcript , Faversham, Kent, England LDS Film #1751866, 23 Apr 1793.Burial record indicates age at burial as being 73 years.
[21]   Cowper, Canterbury Marriage Licences  (U.S.A., Salt Lake City:  Genealogical Society of Utah), 11 Feb   1746, Family History Library, 35 North West Temple Street, Salt Lake City, Utah  84150, USA."Licence reads:     Stephen MUNGER, bachelor, licence dated    11 Feb 1746  & Mary Pepper, spinster, both of Faversham, at St. Mary Northgate Canterbury."
CRN-Hocking
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner