Author Topic: Wilson of Larbert  (Read 37305 times)

Offline caliscot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson of Larbert
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 04:20 BST (UK) »
Resurrecting an old and related post.  Just wondering if anyone has any new or updated information to add to this.

So far I've traced my Scottish ancestry back to Robert Wilson and Isobel Laird with relative certainty.  I have the following information for Robert and Isobel -

Robert Wilson
Isobel Laird
  Birth: 28 Apr 1754, Falkirk, Stirlingshire
  Marriage: about 1777, Larbert, Stirlingshire
  Children: Peter, Girzel, William, Adam, Janet, Robert, Isobel, Robert, James, and
  Margaret

I did not list any birth information for Robert because I'm confused at this point in time as to who his parents were.  I've seen various references to James Wilson and Margaret Harrower, Patrick/Peter Wilson and Janet Gordon, and "Peter or Patrick" Wilson and Janet Gordon.  I have the following information on the three couples -

James Wilson
  Birth: about 1727, Tillicoultry, Clackmannanshire
Margaret Harrower
  Birth: about 1731, Tillicoultry, Clackmannanshire
  Marriage: 28 May 1752, Tillicoultry, Clackmannanshire

Patrick/Peter Wilson
  Birth: about 1722, Cockpen, Midlothian
Janet Gordon
  Birth: 1 Jun 1722
  Baptism/Christening: 13 Jun 1722, Dalkeith, Midlothian
  Marriage: 15 Apr 1743, Lasswade, Midlothian

"Peter or Patrick" Wilson
  Birth: about 1731
  Baptism/Christening: 17 Feb 1731, Muiravonside, Stirlingshire
Janet Gordon
  Birth: about 1735, Muiravonside, Stirlingshire
  Marriage: about 1755, Muiravonside, Stirlingshire

Does anyone have any idea which of those three couples were Robert Wilson's parents?  I'm trying to trace my Scottish ancestry back as far as I can in an attempt to determine which clan the Wilson's that I'm related to are a part of.  I've most often seen Wilson mentioned as a sept to Clan Gunn, Clan Innes, and Clan MacFarlane.  Any help is appreciated!

Cheers, caliscot
Scotland: Wilson

Offline UNDERTAKER

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 15 January 12 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any Gillespie Family of Denny in your Family as I do and some of the Family names are Familiar. My Family also have Wilsons in them as a Lynn-Wilson is my Cousin.
If I can help in any way then let me know.

Taker.

Offline UNDERTAKER

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 21 January 12 06:58 GMT (UK) »
Don't suppose any of these people are known relatives.?

I believe i am related to some of them. They had Wilson relatives.

M.

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 21 January 12 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The picture shows Mary Duncan b1862 and her 7 surviving children.  They all emigrated to Ontario in Canada.  The father was James Gillespie b1857 - he died in Scotland in 1903, which is why he does not appear in the photograph.

I don't know which Wilson family they connect to but I do have a very tenuous link to these Gillespies via another branch of my family tree.

:)
Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline UNDERTAKER

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 25 February 12 14:12 GMT (UK) »
I have a very Tenuous Link(I think to them as well through another branch of my Family. However the link with the Wilsons is through my Cousin who is a Wilson but my family is thorugh the Gillespie Line through Agnes and Robert Gillespie. However all the names on this post have some relationship with me.If i can contact you via e-mail I have a professionally researched tree which will be able to show you the link if you wish.My mum did it through someone in France where they live now.

M.   

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 25 February 12 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Undertaker,

I have sent you a PM.

Regards

:)
Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline UNDERTAKER

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 05 March 12 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Cheers for that.P.s. Margaret Harrower, would she have had a relative called Christine born in Alloa in about 1594 or something like that as have records in relation to something like that on another PDF I had done. My mum had that done by a professional researcher and that's about how far it goes back. Think it also has Fyfe Family when you go  back as well.

M.

Offline UNDERTAKER

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 17 March 12 07:11 GMT (UK) »
i have a Robert Laird and a Barbara Brown in Larbert.Robert born 29 October 1727 in Larbert who married in 1752 a Barbara Brown born in 1725 born in Muiravonside Stirling who's children were Alexander Laird and Elizabeth Russel.Alexander born in 1755in Larbert Stirling with Elizabeth born in 1759 in Larbert Stirling. They married in 1780. Their Children were John Laird and Jane Gardner. John born in 1788 in Larbert Stirling and Jane born in 1786 in Strilingshire.They married in 1808.Their Children were Alexander Laird born on 22 April 1808 who married Margaret Wilson in 1831. He died on 22nd May 1885.Margaret Wilson was born on 18 Feb 1810 in Campsie Stirling Scotland. Alexander was born in Plean St Ninians Stirling. Is this of any use.?

M. 

Offline hebbie72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 12 July 13 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Dano,

I've just recently started using rootschat. It seems we have a couple of connections in common.
So I thought I'd say hello.
1) I'm a descendant of James Wilson & Agnes Aitken of Polmont via their son
Thomas Wilson married to Elizabeth Marshall.
My line goes like this...
their daughter Agnes Aitken Wilson married Thomas Brown
their son Charles Brown married Janet McMillan
Their daughter Agnes Wilson Brown married William Hebenton and were my grandparents

2) Going back to Thomas Wilson's wife Elizabeth Marshall.
She carried on her husbands carting business in Armadale after he left her a fairly young widow.
She was known as "coalie Leezie".
Her parents were Peter Marshall & Mary Hamilton.
Peter's parents were John Marshall & Elizabeth Wilson.
Elizabeth Wilson died in Greenock poorhouse in 1861 aged 88, her parents were Henry Wilson & Agnes/Ann Frew who wed in Muiravonside in 1769 (I cycled past there today lol!)
Henry Wilson & Agnew Frew had at least 6 children:
Janet (1769 Muiravonside)
Peter (1771 Larbert)
Elizabeth (my ancestor) (ca.1772-75 Larbert)
John (1784 Carriden)
Henry (1786 Carriden)
William (1790 Carriden)

-As their eldest son was Peter, an educated guess would mean Henry's father was a Peter Wilson
(hold that thought)

-I spied another couple in the Muiravonside registers.
Alexander Wilson & Janet Frew who married there in 1775.
There are large gaps between the baptisms of their children but they also had a Peter.

I'm wondering if it was a case of the Wilson brothers (Henry & Alexander) marrying the Frew sisters (Agnes/Ann & Janet)?
Looking for possible baptisms of an Alexander & Henry Wilson fathered by a Peter the most likely candidate I could find was Patrick/Peter Wilson & Janet Gordon.
Their son Henry born at Hillhead, Lasswade in 1747,
and son Alexander born at Hawthorden, Lasswade in 1752
As you probably know the youngest of the Wilson/Gordon family were born in Muiravonside in the early 1760s... linking the naming pattern with the places the Wilson/Frew marriages took place.

Reading of your descent from a Larbert branch of this WIlson family I would be really interested to compare notes and see what you make of these theories.
Oh, and by any chance have you ever looked at the marriage entry for Patrick/Peter Wilson and Janet Gordon in Lasswade in 1743? It doesn't seem to be available for viewing on scotlandspeople. I'm wondering if it would give any clues to the parish of origin of bride or groom if they were not both simply residents of the parish of Lasswade then.

I better stop for now
Best wishes,
George Hebenton