Author Topic: Any Wrexham football fans?  (Read 4806 times)

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Any Wrexham football fans?
« on: Wednesday 15 March 06 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Long shot this---i was told by my mother that her brother Jack played for Wrexham football club.

Now i don't know how accurate my  info is but i've just sent an email to the club asking them about my uncle via their archives, i presume they have some!!!

Uncle John Hughes, or Jack, as he was known was born c1899.

I'll see if i get a reply. But meanwhile, if there's anybody out there with some very old programmes-----?  Poli
Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Copperwheat----Bedfordshire---Norfolk
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Jones----Wales---Bedfordshire
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London
Ostler----Norfolk
Sherwood----Bedfordshire
Silver----Bedfordshire---Suffolk
Smart----Leicestershire---Middx
Teagle----Buckinghamshire---Wales
Totterdell----Hampshire---London---Stoke-On-Trent
Woods----London

Offline lancs.fox

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Any Wrexham football fans?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 March 06 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi polidor,

I should imagine that very few Wrexham programmes from the 1920/30 era survive, but there are books about the club.

One which may be helpful (I haven't seen it myself) is Wrexham: A Complete Record 1872-1992 by Peter Jones.  It was published by Breedon Books of Derby in 1992.

You will be able to 'google' the publishers name for their address / phone number.

If the book is out of print, Wrexham Library may have a copy and be able to assist.

Regards,

Richard
Fox (Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Yorkshire); Stockton (Shropshire, Yorkshire); Moody (Staffordshire, Worcestershire, Yorkshire); Kershaw (Yorkshire); Martyn (Cornwall); Barnacle (Warwickshire, Leicestershire), Cox (Staffordshire); Dunn (Staffordshire); Mitchell (Yorkshire); Evers (Yorkshire)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 March 06 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Poli :)

There's a reference to a site that has all the league players since 1888 on the commonroom but can't remember the url. If you have a look - it was new today, else i'll put him in for you when I track it down again. My Dad was a prof footballer in the 1920s - did his knees in and became a coal miner!

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 March 06 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Here we are its:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,139006.0.html

I think the site is http://allfootballers.com

and there was a Jack Hughes 1929 -36?  ;D

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 March 06 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to lancs.fox and Gadget.

The book, well i'll definitely look into that one and i've visited the site you put forward Gadget and printed off a list with my Uncle's name on it.

You hear all these snippets of family life as you're growing up and they don't really mean much at the time but now of course i wished i'd written down all my mother's anecdotes about her childhood in Wales.

My own children are already worried about their mum's ability to remember things so if they want any family reminiscences they had better ask now while a few of my brain cells are still working [more or less !! ]

Poli ::)
Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London
Ostler----Norfolk
Sherwood----Bedfordshire
Woods----London

Offline Llosgi Calch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census Info Crown Copyright of National Archives
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 March 06 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Ref Source; 'Wrexham - A Complete record 1872 -1992' by Peter Jones...

John Hughes, known to Wrexham fans as 'Jack', was born in Oswestry in 1912 and signed for Wrexham in April 1930, from Llangollen.
He spent three years at the Racecourse and won a welsh cup winners medal when he played in the 1931 welsh cup final against Shrewsbury Town at the Racecourse, scoring one of the goals. He also won two runners-up medals in the welsh cup in 1932 & 33.
Hughes' most memorable games were the 2nd round FA Cup ties in December 1932, when they lost in extra time at Brighton in a replay. Hughes was a member of the fine side that finished runners-up to Hull City in 1932-33, in Division Three North. He played alongside great players like Tommy Bamford, Harry Waller and Tommy Lewis with Ernie Blackshaw managing the side.
Hughes continued his career with Bolton, Chester, Chesterfield & Bradford, where his League days ended abruptly because of the outbreak of the war.
He served in the navy and later played for Oswestry Town, before finishing his career as a player-coach for Tywyn in the Cambrian Coast League...

Great news for Wrexham FC yesterday with the high court ruling the Racecourse must be returned to them from a certain crook developer... "Come on the reds!"
Lewis - Minera, Denbighshire & Llanerfyl, Montgomeryshire.<br />Davies - Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd, Denbighshire.<br />Williams - Llanynys, Denbighshire.<br />Roberts - Cerrigydrudion, Denbighshire.<br />Clark(e) & Price - Wrecsam, Denbighshire.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 March 06 00:06 GMT (UK) »

Great news for Wrexham FC yesterday with the high court ruling the Racecourse must be returned to them from a certain crook developer... "Come on the reds!"

Very good indeed. I've watched a few matches there in my time ;D

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 March 06 17:57 GMT (UK) »
 Well, Jsl  you've set me a problem now with that quote from the book---

my Jack Hughes was born about 1899/1900. I know he was older than my mother, who was born in 1906.
 Also, i have a photo of Jack in what appears to be a soldiers uniform [not Navy] I imagine he was in the 1914-1918  war as my mother recalls her mother  shedding tears [her words] when her only son went off to war.
 So---is there a possibility do you think, that there were 2 Jack Hughes who played for Wrexham???
I cant believe my mother was telling me 'porkies' as i was told this quite often and before she became very old.

As for the Jack in the book being born in Oswestry, i cant confirm my Jacks place of birth but by coincidence, in his later years he ran a pub with his wife Maud on the borders of Oswestry/Wales. I stayed there once as a 10 or 12 year old. Can't remember the name of the pub though.

O'h well, soldier on i suppose!!!.  Poli   ::)

I've emailed the Wrexham team for info but have heard nothing back yet.

Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London
Ostler----Norfolk
Sherwood----Bedfordshire
Woods----London

Offline lancs.fox

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 March 06 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi poli,

If you believe that 'your' Jack Hughes was born in 1899/1900, but you don't know his birthplace, would it be worthwhile trying to find him on the 1901 Census for either England or Wales (living as he did in border territories).  I'd be pleased to have a look for you, but would need more information if you have it.

Do you know anything of Jack's parentage or siblings, who might have been around at that time, to assist in locating the right 'Jack' or 'John'?

Regards,

Richard

Fox (Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Yorkshire); Stockton (Shropshire, Yorkshire); Moody (Staffordshire, Worcestershire, Yorkshire); Kershaw (Yorkshire); Martyn (Cornwall); Barnacle (Warwickshire, Leicestershire), Cox (Staffordshire); Dunn (Staffordshire); Mitchell (Yorkshire); Evers (Yorkshire)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk