Author Topic: Any Wrexham football fans?  (Read 4805 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Any Wrexham football fans?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 March 06 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Poli
If you  right click on his name on the website it says that this particular  Jack Hughes died in 1991 and he went on to play for Bolton and other clubs - think they might have missed him out :(
Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 January 18 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Ref Source; 'Wrexham - A Complete record 1872 -1992' by Peter Jones...

John Hughes, known to Wrexham fans as 'Jack', was born in Oswestry in 1912 and signed for Wrexham in April 1930, from Llangollen.
He spent three years at the Racecourse and won a welsh cup winners medal when he played in the 1931 welsh cup final against Shrewsbury Town at the Racecourse, scoring one of the goals. He also won two runners-up medals in the welsh cup in 1932 & 33.
Hughes' most memorable games were the 2nd round FA Cup ties in December 1932, when they lost in extra time at Brighton in a replay. Hughes was a member of the fine side that finished runners-up to Hull City in 1932-33, in Division Three North. He played alongside great players like Tommy Bamford, Harry Waller and Tommy Lewis with Ernie Blackshaw managing the side.
Hughes continued his career with Bolton, Chester, Chesterfield & Bradford, where his League days ended abruptly because of the outbreak of the war.
He served in the navy and later played for Oswestry Town, before finishing his career as a player-coach for Tywyn in the Cambrian Coast League...

Great news for Wrexham FC yesterday with the high court ruling the Racecourse must be returned to them from a certain crook developer... "Come on the reds!"

I wonder if this is the John H Hughes who married my 1st cousin Winifred James of Froncysyllte? My mum told me Winifred married a "famous footballer", the only birth I could match was for 1904 (Winifred was born in 1908), but I'm beginning to doubt this now. I don't have access to the 1939 schedule, but I've seen a record posted on Ancestry of John Hughes with his wife Winifred in her father John Thomas James' household in Froncysyllte. "John HHughes Born **25 Sep 1912 Male Professional Foolballer Married (** other poss birth 1904)" . Can anyone confirm if this is him, and whether he was born in 1904 or 1912?

Oxfordshire: SHAYLER, HERN,
Gloucestershire: MEADOWS, HERBERT,
Worcestershire: GRIFFIN, WOOD,
Denbighshire: WILLIAMS, JAMES, EDWARDS, DAVIES.

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 January 18 15:36 GMT (UK) »
The only 1912 birth listing for John Hughes is Sept qtr Oswestry 6a 1163, Hughes, John H, Mother's maiden name: Edwards . This certainly matches the "famous footballer" husband of my Winifred, if he was born in 1912!

I'm pretty convinced now this is in fact the same man as quoted above. Now I'm digging for more information, so far nothing coming up on Google!
Oxfordshire: SHAYLER, HERN,
Gloucestershire: MEADOWS, HERBERT,
Worcestershire: GRIFFIN, WOOD,
Denbighshire: WILLIAMS, JAMES, EDWARDS, DAVIES.