Author Topic: A little bit of help needed pls  (Read 6047 times)

Offline Ann12

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - third from the left
    • View Profile
Re: A little bit of help needed pls
« Reply #18 on: Friday 17 March 06 06:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks again for your help.  I have in the past posted a request on the Hampshire board but I didn't get a reply.  I am waiting for ancestry to put the 1841 census online.  I hope they do it soon.

Anyway, I have to go to work now - time to tackle the Dutch version of the M25 ;D

Anna :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />names: <br />Josolyne - Essex & Herts, <br />Wainwright - Hamps & London, <br />Kentish - Rotherhithe, London & Kent, <br />Herbert - Seaford, Sussex - London & Glous
Mumford - Essex, Birchanger
Sims-Miles - London & Hertfordshire
Cooper - Great Witley and London (Holborn)
Greengrass - Kent & London

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 17 March 06 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Then I would suggest obtaining the details of Matilda's first marriage. It would tell you whether she was indeed a 'spinster' on marriage and further information on her father and his occupation. It would also give you more detail on John Dollery, the father of George's half siblings (and still an outside chance of George himself). John Dollery may be a shoemaker! It would help you track him as well through other records.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ann12

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 17 March 06 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

OK, I started up another thread on the Hampshire board - it's worth a try.
I hope since my last post on that board, that someone now has access to the 1841 census or local directories.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=140034.new#new

Thanks again

Anna

PS. Valda - have you ever thought of writing for a living?  You are very clear and precise in your answers - better than me!!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />names: <br />Josolyne - Essex & Herts, <br />Wainwright - Hamps & London, <br />Kentish - Rotherhithe, London & Kent, <br />Herbert - Seaford, Sussex - London & Glous

Offline Ann12

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 18 March 06 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

No luck as yet with the Hampshire board :(

I wonder, given the fact that Miltida married John Dollery 3 years after the birth of George Thomas, whether George's real father might of been a one off, maybe a sailor (you know the "one in every port" saying ;D).  Matilda obviously wasn't very educated as she only made a mark on the birth cert.

Also, a brother of Matilda was called George, so the name was in her immediate family.

None of George Thomas' children were named after his 1/2 siblings and there is no John to be seen thereafter.

In 1861 George married Rosina, he was then known as Wainwright (which was my maiden name), if John Dollery fits in to the stepdad theory then maybe there was some bad blood between them as George Thomas reverted back to Wainwright as an adult.

Ummm, I need to keep investigating this.

Anna :)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 18 March 06 17:17 GMT (UK) »
It would be interesting to know what happened to all the men in Matilda's life starting with her father and then her two husbands.

possible death for John Dollery

Deaths Sep 1849
Dollery  John     Portsea I  7 186

which may mean he died around the time of his children's baptisms.

Being able to read in 1838 and being able to write were two different things. Not being able to write did not mean you couldn't read. You would have to check Matilda's marriages to see whether she consistently signed with a cross.

The Sarah Wainwright death in 1842 could be Matilda's mother. Early death registrations without the age to check against are always risky. A later Sarah death may be one of Matilda's daughters.

1857 December quarter Portsea Island volume 2b page 265
Sarah Ann Dollery

Regards

Valda

Offline porcelayne ladye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 03 April 06 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Valda and Ann. In 3 days you have got the jigsaw puzzle on the table. It took me three years backwards and forwards to Potsmouth to get where you are. Plus paying a researcher who could not find George Thomas Wainwright on 1841 census. Even though I gave her the address he was at. I found it a couple of years later. Here goes.
Samuel Wainwright mar Sarah Bath St Marys Portsea 1792. They had 6 children. Matilda youngest. 1816.
George Living at Military Row 1841 Census as per birth certificate. Also with John and Matilda Dollery at Puds Lane. They married 6 December 1841. John was a Mariner. Matilda SPINSTER. 1849 12 August George plus 3 other Dollery Children bapt St Johns Chapel Portsea. 1851 Census Matilda now a widow. 0n relief. 1853 25 December Matilda Dollery widow married Josiah Coward.Alvertstoke. He was a bootmaker.When George Thomas married Jane Rosina we was a WAINWRIGHT my Fathers maternal grandfather. Its must be 20 years since I did this. Cannot find all notes at present. But at least you have the picture I hope. Ann Thanks for your email have replied via forum so that all who helped you know what I have found and their conclusions correct. E mail me as I will be sure to see what you think Ann. Regards Porcelayne Ladye
Grainger Worcestershire before 1850
Chamberlain Worcester before 1850
Cowburn Preston-Salford Lancashire  before 1850   Beaumont Norfolk Sussex ALL
Knapp Worcestershire before 1850
Lee     Worcestershire before  1850
Rex     Devon               before 1850
Wainwright.Portsea. Hampshire. Before 1850
Pardoe                 Worcestershirebefore 1850
Grainger              Manchester   All
Berkshire Family History Society
0xfordshire Family History Society

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 03 April 06 19:24 BST (UK) »
Porcelayne Ladye
May I ask one more question? What became of Samuel, Matilda's father? I presume her mother died in 1842 but what happened to her father?

If there is any time for supplementary questions since Matilda seems to loose men on a fairly regular basis (her sister seems similarly unlucky) what happened to Matilda's two husbands John Dollery and Josiah Coward?

Regards

Valda

Offline porcelayne ladye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 03 April 06 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Valda
From memory Samuel died pre 1837.He was a hairdresser. John Died pre 1851 Census. Cannot remember about Josiah Coward off hand but I will have a look at my notes. and let you and Ann know. I am supposed to be going out this evening will look later.
Thanks for your your reply Bye for now.
Regards
Porcelayne Ladye.
Grainger Worcestershire before 1850
Chamberlain Worcester before 1850
Cowburn Preston-Salford Lancashire  before 1850   Beaumont Norfolk Sussex ALL
Knapp Worcestershire before 1850
Lee     Worcestershire before  1850
Rex     Devon               before 1850
Wainwright.Portsea. Hampshire. Before 1850
Pardoe                 Worcestershirebefore 1850
Grainger              Manchester   All
Berkshire Family History Society
0xfordshire Family History Society

Offline Ann12

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 04 April 06 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Well, it looks like my maiden name should have been Dollery and not Wainwright!!  Jayne - darent tell uncle Robin that!!  Still a bit strange though that her last husband was a bootmaker esp. as on George Thomas' birth cert she mentions his father as being a bootmaker and not a mariner.  I wonder she she was up to then ;D

Anyway, I have a parent evening soon so I will check back later.

Anna