Author Topic: Huguenot Links - Follas  (Read 20679 times)

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Huguenot Links - Follas
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 02:43 BST (UK) »
Lurgan First  Presbyterian has the following

Joshua Follas and wife Jane McKague of Lurgan  baptizing George Sept 8, 1832 but later saying he was born Nov 7, 1832.  Francis was baptized Dec 19, 1835 and Joshua's wife was Jane McTeague then.

On Sept 1,  1843 Samuel Folsa and Margaret McKeag had dau Margaret Jane.  I assume that is Folas and don't know if Samuel married a sister.  They lived in Portadown. 'J' and "S' look very much alike and I am reading from someone's transcription. It is a strech to say this is Joshua again, but it might be. 

Thomas Folless and Elizabeth McDowell, Lurgan weavers had dau Mary April 17, 1846

Richard Fellis and Charlotte Thompson had Elizabeth Mar 31, 1861 and Sarah ann Feb 28, 1863, baptized together   
A very early baptism of Eleanor to Thomas Folleur or Felleur born and bapt Aug 20., 1769 might be a Follas, but there isn't another similar name before the early baptisms end.

Not at that church:
The above Richard and Charlotte were the parents of Margaret who married David Archer.  It was my understanding David married Ellen McCullough in Shankill area  on Dec 23, 1877 and had Mary Ann in 1878.  I thought this was the David Archer who remarried a Follis. If you have the marriage record, whom  do you have as a father?

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 04:27 BST (UK) »
Also baptized at Lurgan First was Moses born Dec 4, 1773 to Francis Follis and baptized Dec 26.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 10:05 BST (UK) »
Slaters Directory of Ireland; 1846

Follas Thomas; Provision dealer; 69 North Queen st.
Antrim, Belfast.

1870;
Follas Henry; Grocer; Enniskillen, Derrygonnelly, Fermanagh
-----

1881 England census;
Follas George; 18
Born; Cavan Ireland
Lodger
Cooper worker
125 Peasley lane, Prescot St Helens Sutton Lancs.
======
Jack

Offline JBro37

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 07 April 18 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Christopher,   
Thank you very much for your comments ..... I'll go through them carefully later today.

Joshua Follas of Tullyheron is my ancestor - either my ggg-grandfather, or my gg-grandfather's brother, as they had the same christian name.  The house at Tullyheron may have been leased to the elder Joshua before 1864 and continued on in the name of his son until just before 1901.  (The habit of passing on family christian names may have seemed a good idea at the time, but it caused a lot of confusion aterwards!)

Before starting research I thought the family spelling was Follis, as my mother spelt her name that way, but going back a generation I found it reverted to Follas (which my great aunt insisted was the correct spelling).   I realise that allowance must be made for mis-spelling/aural mistakes, etc but it was pretty consistent.  I also investigated families with the Follis spelling and they don't seem to have any direct family link. 

As I'm in New Zealand it is more difficult (even with the wonderful www) to find the data so I had the Ulster Historical Society do my iniital research some years ago.  They went back about 4 generations and basically gave me back a family I knew little about.

Once again, many many thanks for your most helpful comments,
Cheers, Hilary

Hi HalfKiwi, I am totally new to this forum so forgive me if I have not sent a clear response....Joshua Follas is my GGG-Grandfather and my GG-Grandmother is his daughter Margaret Follas (In some Irish records it has her name as Follis) I just stumbled on some info about her yesterday which led me to this link and conversation in this forum. You have all been very helpful and look forward to learning more. Thanks Jen 

Offline lmsb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kristine, I've just come across this on my friends computer - so it'll be her user name you see- my g/g/grandmother was Jane Follas who was 12 when they arrived in 1848.
Her daughter, Mary Elisabeth Jamison married Charles Guillum-Scott.
I've been trying to find her mother Elisabeth's parents (Orr) no luck yet.
I have a small booklet about our Irish Connection - written by Glenise Rolfe.
By the way I'm on a group page on FB - New Zealanders of Irish Descent -
Cheers Helene

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Is this the Scottish name Foulis which has been subject to the usual ill-treatment after crossing the North Channel?   Various spellings in Scotland, including Fowlis, Foulds & Follis in the 1400's. Not a Huguenot name as goes back to the 13th century and has its origin in the place-name Foulis of which there are a few!

Skoosh.