Author Topic: Huguenot Links - Follas  (Read 20617 times)

Offline halfkiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Huguenot Links - Follas
« on: Thursday 16 March 06 09:47 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to trace my Northern Ireland family name (Follas) and there have been indications (not to mention family mythology) that it may originate with the Huguenots - possibly from La Rochelle. 
I know the general history of the Huguenots' flight from France to various parts of Europe, Britain and Canada, BUT has anyone done any specific research into their settlement in Northern Ireland. 
Follis (with an 'i') is an unusual name in NI but spelt with an 'a' it is even more unusual.... although they may have the same origins.
Any comments and help appreciated.
Hilary
Northern Ireland: Follas, Turkington,
Ireland (Co. Clare): Hardy, Hickie
England: Bayly (Kent); Hardy (Poplar, London); Murr (Tottenham, London); Williams & Charrett (Liverpool / Manchester),
Australia: Amy Hilda Murr (poss. Tasmania); Jane Ann Follis.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Huguenot Links - Follas
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 January 08 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hilary,

There's been a reasonable amount of research into Huguenot families in the north of Ireland. In 1997 the Lisburn Historical Society published E. Joyce Best's book which was titled " The Huguenot's of Lisburn. The Story of the Lost Colony." The book was edited and compiled by Kathleen Rankin.

In the Huguenot Society's proceedings written over a hundred years ago there's an entry on Page 352, Volume III, No. 11 referring to "The Lost Register of the French Church of Lisburn, Ireland" by Mr. George Gilligan, J.P., of Turret House, Reading.

The extracts of Griffiths Valuations of Ireland 1848-64 on John Hayes failteromhat.com website show a number of families named Follis ... the majority of them were listed in Co. Kilkenny ... the only families with that surname in the northern counties at the time were from Co. Armagh and Co. Cavan ....

Richard Follis, Township of Lurgan, Avenue Road, Shankill. Armagh
James Follis, Red Bog, Corporation Lands, Annagh. Cavan
George Follis, Dunaweel, Killashandra. Cavan

There was one listing for Follas in Co. Down ...

Joshua Follas, Tullyherron, Donaghcloney. Down

The Fianna Guide to Irish Genealogy website contains a list of Hugenot Surnames which are used on their site with the kind permission of Pat Traynor. A site that I spotted the other day said that strictly speaking Huguenot surnames don't exist ... they're French surnames.

Christopher

Offline halfkiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 January 08 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Christopher,   
Thank you very much for your comments ..... I'll go through them carefully later today.

Joshua Follas of Tullyheron is my ancestor - either my ggg-grandfather, or my gg-grandfather's brother, as they had the same christian name.  The house at Tullyheron may have been leased to the elder Joshua before 1864 and continued on in the name of his son until just before 1901.  (The habit of passing on family christian names may have seemed a good idea at the time, but it caused a lot of confusion aterwards!)

Before starting research I thought the family spelling was Follis, as my mother spelt her name that way, but going back a generation I found it reverted to Follas (which my great aunt insisted was the correct spelling).   I realise that allowance must be made for mis-spelling/aural mistakes, etc but it was pretty consistent.  I also investigated families with the Follis spelling and they don't seem to have any direct family link. 

As I'm in New Zealand it is more difficult (even with the wonderful www) to find the data so I had the Ulster Historical Society do my iniital research some years ago.  They went back about 4 generations and basically gave me back a family I knew little about.

Once again, many many thanks for your most helpful comments,
Cheers, Hilary
England: Bayly (Kent); Hardy (Poplar, London); Murr (Tottenham, London); Williams & Charrett (Liverpool / Manchester),

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 January 08 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hilary,

Surname: Follas. Ulster Covenant 1912.

Belfast, Co. Antrim

Jane Follas, 1, Geoffrey Street 
Katie Follas, 14, River Terrace 
William Follas, 14, River Terrace 

Surname: Follis. Ulster Covenant 1912.

Co. Armagh
John Follis, Hill Street, Lurgan. 
Maggie Follis, Lurgan 
Mary Ann Follis, 96, Hill Street, Lurgan   
Samuel Follis, 96, Hill Street, Lurgan   
Sarah Follis, Brownlow Terrace, Lurgan 
Sarah J. Follis, Charles Street, Lurgan 
Thomas Follis, George Street, Lurgan. 

Belfast, Co. Antrim
Annie Follis, 6, Edenderry Gardens   
Ellen Follis, 5, Edenderry Gardens
George S. Follis, 5, Edenderry Gardens 
James Follis, 30, Moscow Street
John Follis, 5, Edenderry Gardens   

Co. Cavan
George Follis, Caldra

Co. Fermanagh
Kate Follis, Boheveny 

Christopher

Offline halfkiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 January 08 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher,
that was very kind of you.   I've already been through the Ulster Covenant, looking particularly for the Belfast pages, and downloaded all the relevant signatures.  Also checked some names who were friends/relatives by marriage, eg,  Laverty, Turkington and Chisholm. 

Annie Follis (Edenderry Gardens) is my g-grandmother (I note the spelling!!)
Ellen (Auntie Nellie) is one of her daughters and my beloved great aunt (the only one I knew).
George, and John are two of her brothers (there were 8 children - 4 boys & 4 girls in that generation)
I'd need to check my records on the William FollAS but he could have been a 3rd brother.
Not sure about Kate, but I think Jane may be one of the daughters - I will check this.

I'll also check all the others listed in case the names pop up somewhere in my researches. 

By the way,  do you know anything about the surname QUAN?
George (above) married Mary Louisa Quan on 2/2/1920 and she's also listed in the Covenant along with her ?mother;  but I've never been able to find out anything more about the surname.  Its such an unusual one!    My interest was roused as a witness at the wedding was Abraham, my grandfather, and 4th son of that generation.

Thanks again Christopher.  Your help is greatly appreciatedl.
Regards, Hilary

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 January 08 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hilary,

I'm having the same problem as you. It's proving difficult to find the origin of the Quan surname. As far as I'm aware it's not an Irish name as there are not too many of them
listed in telephone books or trade directories

There's a list of Co. Donegal Landowners, 1876, on the Ulster Ancestry website which shows .... Patrick Quan, address Gortcormecan, owned 315 acres

Christopher

Offline halfkiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 January 08 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher,
you've pretty much confirmed my own conclusions..... Ah well,  that's life - and genealogy!!  I'll put her on the back in the box with the other queries and get on with the main family.

Many thanks for your help,  Hilary

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 January 08 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hilary,

I knew the name Follis was ringing a bell for me ... it's just come to me ...

Julie Follis is a popular jazz / blues singer in Northern Ireland.

Hear her singing on www.myspace.com/juliefollismusic 

There are lots of people named Quan from Ireland on www.familysearch.org

Christopher

Offline halfkiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 January 08 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher,

I looked up Julie Follis - thank goodness we're finally getting broadband next week!  It took a long time to download but she's a lovely girl; actually looks a bit like my daughter (also a Julie) except that my Julie's hair is more red than blonde.  I'll have a further listen in when the broadband arrives.

There certainly are a LOT of Quans in familysearch....   

Thanks for that,
Cheers, Hilary