Author Topic: Census Lookup for Mary A. Gormley  (Read 3512 times)

Offline mobile107

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Census Lookup for Mary A. Gormley
« on: Friday 17 March 06 07:17 GMT (UK) »
Dear listers I need some help and hope someone will be able to do this challenge for me.

Mary A. Gormley, born 1856, married a (?)Gormely and had 5 children,  named: Michael, Bridget, James, Mary, and Annie.  Mary left from 
Liverpool, England (at least that is what it says in on the passenger list for the ship Iowa), in February,1887 to arrive in Boston on 7 March 1887 in Boston.  No husband listed with her.  I am assuming that he left two to three years earlier for Boston, MA, USA as their youngest was two years old when Mary left for the states.   I know he was alive in the US as she had four more children born in Boston, MA but she is listed as Widow during the first census I can find which is the 1900 census.  Later a brother Patrick came to Boston From Knockersghery to visit his sister Maryin Boston.  He arrive in 1899.  Is there any way one can check census records prior to 1884 for a Mary A. Gormley and family hopefully the husband's name will show up.  As I have tried all shipping lists but there were so many Gormleys listed and I have no first name for the husband that it could be any one of them, that is why I prefer the census lookup so that I can trace it back to the passenger list or in the Ireland marriage records.   I am not even sure that the Patrick Gormley is actually brother or that he comes from Knockersghery, I am only going on statement on his ship passenger record.

I had posted this message on the English site but was told that Knockersghery was in Rosecommon, Ireland that is why I am re-posting in hopes that someone can do a look up in the census for me.
She would be my greatgrandmother on my father's mother's side.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you  :)

Mobile 107

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Census Lookup for Mary A. Gormley
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
suggestions rather than answers sorry.
1) I can't find any Knockersghery anywhere - using Irish Townlands website.
2) Knockcroghery is Roscommon. I have looked at 1901 index-
www.leitrim-roscommon.com and although there are Gormlys and Gormleys- none in Knockcroghery or that parish.
3) If you have access to LDS centres- you might be able to view Irish BMD indexes there (lots have them I believe) and also you can order parish records and 1901 census (1911 if appropriate).
4) Does it not say Mary's husband's name or place of origin on her death certificate (I have seen a couple of USA death certs carrying this info.)
sorry not to be of more use
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk