Author Topic: robert jones vc  (Read 31987 times)

Offline Chris griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: robert jones vc
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 January 12 10:34 GMT (UK) »
That's right they are my grandparents. They moved to sirhowy/ tredegar later in there lives. Annie passed in 1999 and dai a couple of years later. I started a diagramed fam tree on my laptop and I have got bits to add to it now :-).

Offline David Griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 January 12 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Am sorry to hear that Chris. Uncle Dai was my very fav Uncle and used to join in with us as kids playing, we shared my bed in Carlton untill he married Auntie Anne. I heard about the schism from Gaynor at my dads funeral in 1991...she never went into it. I am on (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Looking for info about my Great Grandfather Pte Robert Jones who won the VC in 1879 in the Zulu War. I have all the info about him which is on the Net but I would like to know who sold his VC in 1996. Did his VC go out of the family or if it was a family member who inherited it, why did they let it go. It is so sad that it left the family. Also more info about his death in 1898, was it an accident or suicide? Hard to believe he killed himself when my Grandma Rose was only 8 and 4 others under 12

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 January 12 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Robert Jones ('716 Jones)' is mentioned in 'Victoria Cross Heroes' by Michael Ashcroft.  His VC forms part of the Ashcroft Collection.

Cati
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline David Griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 January 12 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Cati. Much appreciated. Regards Dai Griffiths.
Looking for info about my Great Grandfather Pte Robert Jones who won the VC in 1879 in the Zulu War. I have all the info about him which is on the Net but I would like to know who sold his VC in 1996. Did his VC go out of the family or if it was a family member who inherited it, why did they let it go. It is so sad that it left the family. Also more info about his death in 1898, was it an accident or suicide? Hard to believe he killed himself when my Grandma Rose was only 8 and 4 others under 12

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 January 12 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Cati. Much appreciated. Regards Dai Griffiths.

Perhaps if you contact Lord Ashcroft - http://lordashcroft.com/contact.html - he may be able to advise you how the VC got into his collection (I mean, obviously he bought it, but he may know how it ended up for sale)

Cati
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline Chris griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you David for the information it's a big help and sorry to hear about your dad too. My dad has got the rokes drift book and I know bits from there that's all. So all info was a great help. I just need more info so I can add to the family tree I am making. I also want to try and go further back on the jones and Griffiths sides

Offline David Griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Chris, If you want pictures of Great Grandad Jones or info including pictures of his grave etc then I can supply them. I am 67 years old and I am the eldest of the first cousins although I have never met any of Uncle Dai's children, the last time that I saw him was when he married Anne. So it was back in the 50's when I last saw Uncle Dai.  I have one brother, Mervyn, who I am estranged from. He is 65 in April. I know all of Auntie Dorothys children, who are Gaynor, Bryn and Allison. I used to go and visit Grandma Rose every year when she lived in Sirhowy from the late forties and all through the fifties. I was present at Grandma Rose's house in Sirhowy when Grandad Donald Thewellen Griffiths died in the early 50's. Grandma Rose told me all about her father Robert Jones VC, and his VC way back in around 1950 when I was about six years old or so. There was a large picture of him in uniform with his VC.  The last time that I saw Grandma Rose was in the mid 60's when I was serving in the Royal Navy. I paid a week long visit to her see her in Cefn- Golau, Tredegar in 1962 when Auntie Pat and Phil were there. Bye for now. Regards David.

Offline David Griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 12:48 GMT (UK) »
The above pictures are of my Great Grandfather Pte Robert Jones VC. The top one shows him with his VC, the middle picture is of his grave in Herefordshire (Peterchurch Churchyard) For some time, my Great Grandfathers headstone was in a sorry state, with lead missing from lettering and moss covering most of the surface. However, Stephen Jackson from Longwell Green in Bristol came to the rescue and engaged Mr N C Pegler, Monumental Mason, Rockfield Road, Hereford to re-furbish the headstone. I think you will agree the results are stunning.
Thank you Stephen Jackson.

The bottom picture is of him in 1898...the year of his hotly disputed suicide.

1. Pte Robert Jones VC, won VC at Rorke's Drift. Born 19th August 1857 Tynewydd Nr Raglan; committed suicide (disputed, may have been shooting accident) 6th Sept 1898; buried in St Peter's Churchyard, Peterchurch. At time of burial coffin taken over churchwall rather than through gate, headstone facing opposite to all others in churchyard due to Jones's alleged suicide.

2. Pte Alfred Hook VC, won VC at Rorke's Drift. Born 6th August 1850 at Birdwood, Churcham, Glocs, died 12th March 1905 of consumption, buried in Churcham, St Andrew's parish church. Worked in British Museum as an inside duster, later promoted to umbrella attendant.

3. Pte William Jones VC , won VC at Rorke's Drift. Born 16th August 1839 in Bristol, died 15th April 1913, buried in Phillips Park Cemetery, Manchester. Pawned VC for £5 to feed his family then later sold pawn ticket. Just before death was found wandering the streets of Manchester under the illusion the Zulus were coming to get him. [Note that William Jones is not wearing his VC in the photo, due to the medal having been pawned.]

4. Pte David Bell VC, won VC at Little Andaman Islands, 7th May 1867 saving men from island inhabited by cannibals. Born 1845 Co Down Northern Ireland, died 7th March 1920, buried Woodlands Cemetery, Gillingham. [Pte William Griffith VC, ot shown in this group, won his VC at the same situation, later killed 22nd Jan 1879 at Isandlwana.]

5. Col Browne won VC at Inhlobana, 29th March 1879 rescuing stranded Mounted infantrymen. Born 23rd Dec 1852, Cambridge, died 16th July 1907, buried Clarens Cemetery, Chemin de Munraz, Montreaux .

6. Pte Frederick Hitch VC, won VC at Rorke's Drift. Born 29th Nov 1856 Southgate, Middlesex, died 6th Jan 1913 of pneumonia and heart failure due to picket duty while on strike as a cabby after the Home Secretary (Winston Churchill) increased the price of petrol but did not allow fares to be increased at the time; Hitch is buried in Chiswick cemetery.

7. Pte John Fielding VC (aka John Williams), won VC at Rorke's Drift; joined the army as John Williams to avoid his father knowing of enlistment; born 24th May 1857 in Abergavenny, died 25th Nov 1932, buried Llantaman, Monmouthshire.

Offline David Griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Am sorry to hear that Chris. Uncle Dai was my favourite Uncle and used to join in with us as kids playing outside in the street at Carlton, games such as tig and hide and seek and sticks... then again he was only in his twenties and young himself. I had two uncles and three aunties from my mothers side. My mother was called Jennie Griffiths nee Brindley and she had two brothers and three sisters. (Amended)