Author Topic: MONEY - Inkpen  (Read 7810 times)

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
MONEY - Inkpen
« on: Saturday 18 March 06 03:44 GMT (UK) »
Richard MONEY owned Westcourt Manor at Inkpen 1622 and was buried at Inkpen in 1657.
Is anyone researching this name in this vicinity at about that time?.
joboy
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: MONEY ........ NO! NOT FILTHY LUCRE!!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 June 06 11:58 BST (UK) »
The name of MONEY is well known to historians in Newbury / West Berkshire. Walter MONEY published many books and articles on local history from the 1880s onwards.  His 'The History of Newbury' (1887) is still the best book on the subject.  He came from a well to do family that is quite likely to link to the Inkpen chap you mention.

If my memory serves me well the family is covered in one of the Herald's Visitations of Berkshire and may also be shown in Berry's book of Berkshire family trees (can't remember to exact title - the local studies library in Reading has a copy).
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: MONEY ........ NO! Not filthy luchre !!
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 June 06 03:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you Newburychap I shall try to find the tomes you mention here in OZ.
joboy
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 January 07 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am also researching the Money family of Newbury and am actually related to Walter Money himself. I have read his books and there is a lot of information in them not only about the Money family but also about Newbury itself and other families there. My link comes via the Head family who were also very prominent in the area and who also feature a great deal in Walter Money's book  "The History of Newbury". I haven't found the Money family mentioned in the Herald's Visitations for Berkshire but I may have missed them.

I have a large Money tree, several Wills, and other documents and would be happy to share details with you. It would be interesting to find someone else related to the Money family.

Interestingly my earliest Money ancestor is Laurence Money of Chievely who died in 1605. He was married to a woman named Grace and had 8 children including my ancestor Grace (b1574) and Richard (b1565). Could this Richard be related to your one? Perhaps his father?

Anyhow get in contact if you want more details.

Matt

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 January 07 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Matt,
Firstly I am not researching the MONEY family per se but rather doing a one name study of the name TWITCHIN.
It so happens that a daughter of Richard MONEY named Frances married Andrew TWITCHIN 15 June 1635.
I know that Richard MONEY's will proven in 1657 shows he bequeathed an annuity of 30 quid (no pound sign on keyboard) to his 'rebellious' son Richard and the Manor to be divided between his 3 daughters Margaret HERON (widow) Frances wife of Andrew TWITCHIN and Elizabeth HORE.
But you probably have this detail anyway.
If you can add any more it would be appreciated.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

Offline PilgrimRob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MONEY - Inkpen
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 November 10 18:03 GMT (UK) »
I've just discovered that Laurence Money d 1605 was an ancestor of mine too and would be fascinated to learn more about the family

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 November 10 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi pilgrimrob and welcome to rootschat on your first post.
I have an extract of some 'Notes in support of a pedigree' by Leonard Jessopp Fulton compiled for a Henry Twitchin which is undated but Jessopp Fulton was an active legal eagle in early 1900's (google him).
In those notes he says;
'There was no manor of Ingpen (sic) within historical times.The parish was divided into two manors ... East Court and West Court.
The Twitchin were associated with the latter.
Possibly Humphrey de Ingpen who paid a mark for unjust dis-seizin in Berkshire was owner of the Manor of Ingpen,afterwards known as Westcourt.This manor passed through several hands and was ultimately sold by one William Picard to one Richard Money in 1622".
I dont know when this Richard Money died but his will was proven in 1657 as I said in reply #4 ....... and the balance of Jessopp Fulton's notes relate only to the Twitchin line.
We know that Richard Money had a 'rebellious' son 'Richard' but there is no indication of other male offspring ... the three females are covered in reply #4
I do hope this will help to kickstart your need for more information.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

Offline PilgrimRob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 November 10 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Joe -- I will send my sister to investigate Inkpen! I am sure your Richard and my Laurence were related (as Matt suggests) and would love to work it all out.  Laurence was my 14th g grandfather and I am descended from his son Richard b 1565 at Chieveley,  and his son Symon b 1607. 
(Symon did have a son Richard, b 1629 at Hurst, but I don't think he was your Richard;  his son Richard was b 1654 making him rather young to be the"disobedient" Richard of the 1657 will!)
Cheers
Rob

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 02:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Joe -- I will send my sister to investigate Inkpen! I am sure your Richard and my Laurence were related (as Matt suggests) and would love to work it all out.  Laurence was my 14th g grandfather and I am descended from his son Richard b 1565 at Chieveley,  and his son Symon b 1607. 
(Symon did have a son Richard, b 1629 at Hurst, but I don't think he was your Richard;  his son Richard was b 1654 making him rather young to be the"disobedient" Richard of the 1657 will!)
Cheers
Rob

Hi there

I am descended from Richard's sister Grace Money (b1574 Chieveley). She married James Head in Chieveley in 1599 and died in Chievely in 1661, 20 years after James died. I would love to know more about Richard's descendants, who did he marry, who was Symon married to, were there any other children and when did they did? Also what work did they do?

Matt