Author Topic: Mciver from Uig/Carloway  (Read 20082 times)

Offline mariac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mciver from Uig/Carloway
« on: Saturday 18 March 06 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Iam very new to this so please bear with me if I make mistakes.
Iam looking for John Mciver(born 29/12/1856 in Uig) and Mary Mciver his sister (born6/1/1862 Carloway) Their parents Finlay and Ann immigrated to Australia in 1884 with the other children but John and Mary remained in Scotland. Would anyone be able to tell me how to go about finding out what happened to them.
Thanks a lot Mariac

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mciver from Uig/Carloway
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 March 06 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mariac

Welcome to Rootschat and the joys of family history. You don't have to be mad to visit here but it helps!
The whole point of RootsChat is to help folk make the odd mistake and learn from it painlessly. Don't apologise. We all started with the same apprehensions as you.
You have chosen a dificult area of the country to search. Records from the Highlands and Islands in the mid 1800's are less complete than from other areas.
Could I suggest you look at the dedicated genealogy site on Lewis & Harris   http://www.seallam.com/intro.htm
Having said that, your quest is after the 1855 Stutory records were introduced so you should be able to sign on to scotlandspeople.gov.uk where you can purchase credits for £6.00 which would allow you to search the 1861/1871 & 1881 census for the family and perhaps find birth & marriage records. It might then be possible to track them forwards using the later census returns combined with some creative guesswork. Tracking John would probably be easier than finding out what happened to Mary.
Look at the Sealam site first though.

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline mariac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 March 06 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Russell, Thanks for the kind words and the advice on Seallam and Scotlands People. I will see if I can find a way to find out info from them. They sound like just what is needed.
I dont know if John became a policeman. Would there be any means of checking this out do you know? Thanks again. Mariac

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 March 06 01:28 GMT (UK) »

I dont know if John became a policeman. Would there be any means of checking this out do you know? Thanks again. Mariac

Hi Marie

A Highland Welcome to you from Ross and Cromarty ;D Carloway is a beatiful place. Uig, I've not been to.

If John became a policeman before leaving, it would certainly show up on the 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses.

Gadget in R and C
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline mariac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 March 06 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
 I have just realised I have made a mistake in  asking after John Mciver. I should have said Donald Mciver born 2/4/1859. Shall have to be more careful in future. Any idea where I may be able to get a look-up on those census years.  Thanks for you help. Mariac

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 March 06 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maria!

He doesn't show up on Freecen, so I guess the area he was in has not yet been covered for these years.

I would recommend the IGI, but it is down at the moment!  You should get something from that when it returns, with a bit of luck!

I have e-mailed a friend who is interested in Police history in this area, so keep your fingers crossed (hello if you are reading this!!  :D )

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

(I also have a McIver from this area - Kate born c 1861 Gaerloch, later married John Kennedy CAMERON)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline mariac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 March 06 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Arranroots, I still have a lot to learn in the genealogy field but its  fascinating. My MCivers are mainly from Carloway and Uig. I have managed to trace back to Angus Mciver who married Mary Mackay . they had a son Donald (b 1797)who married Henrietta Macarthur(b 1801) .
Three children Ann,Mary and Finlay(b 1830). Finlay married Ann Macarthur and had 10children of whom Donald and Mary were 2. Who was your Kates parents? Would be interesting to know if there is any relationship. Thanks also for asking your friend in Police history. Do hope something comes up. Thanks heaps.Mariac

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 March 06 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Who was your Kates parents?

I have no idea!!  :-[

I have only recently got started on this line, mainly due to aforementioned Police correspondent, who was interested in the CAMERON angle.

I am going to embarrass myself further by asking where Carloway is?  My map can't find it!

I will have to look at scotlandspeople and find out some background for Kate.  I have a lovely photo of her, so that is motivation

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 March 06 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maria
I've just been shaking the R and C dust out of my house and watching an otter in the bay just in front of the house ;)
 The best way to find them is to look at the  census info on Scotlands People. But this does cost :(
One thing that I forgot to mention last night was the surname, MacIver. Last year, I did the history of one of my local friends. They were mainly MacLeods but he also had MacIver and Campbell lines, amongst others. Arranroots might know more about this but, as far as I can recall, the MacIvers were often Campbell's in disguise (after Glencoe) and the surnames were often used interchangeably.
Gadget

(Ps. Carloway is on the west coast of Lewis - there is a burial mound there. I might even have a photo somewhere)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***