Author Topic: Mciver from Uig/Carloway  (Read 20088 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mciver from Uig/Carloway
« Reply #27 on: Friday 24 March 06 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget

I miss nothing, LOL!

My contact is a former serving officer and he suggested that a lot of valuable information might possibly be had by investigating the links posted.

Dave has been good enough to collaborate with me (or is it the other way round, I forget!) in researching my relative in Ross and Cromarty who was a senior Police Officer.  He has discovered all sorts of records and personal information that is just not available elsewhere - he had the complete service record of my man.

It would be wonderful for Maria if anything like the same amount of information were available about her relative: his career and even his family information might be discovered.

I hope this clarifies matters for you.

Maria - Dave is happy to be Rootschat's Police Consultant and is at your disposal if he can help further.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 24 March 06 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arranroots

Thought that you might have just overlooked it. I know I prattle on sometimes :-\ :-\ :-\
Could he do the same for Maria in the Glasgow area?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 24 March 06 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes that was what I was trying to convey - I obviously didn't do a very good job of it, did I, LOL!?  ;D

Maria has the option of mailing the person Dave told us about (red e-mail addie in quotes above) to see what , if anything, can be discovered about her relative.

Dave has also been through his own records of the forces he lists to see whether there is any reference to Maria's rellie, but in this case there was not.

I would suggest that if the Glasgow people are as helpful as Dave it is a very good idea to ask them!

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 24 March 06 20:16 GMT (UK) »
To my knowledge, the Glasgow police are very helpful - especially to Highlands and Islands folk (or descendants)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 24 March 06 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Until very recently my only acquaintance with Police north of the border was a rhyme my dad used to torture me with, about the Leith Police!  (I am sure you are familiar with it!)

;D

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 24 March 06 20:19 GMT (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D

But Leith's Edinburgh ;)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 24 March 06 20:21 GMT (UK) »
;D ;D ;D

But Leith's Edinburgh ;)

GADGET - behave!!   ::) ;D ;D

Did they move Edinburgh south of the border then?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 24 March 06 20:24 GMT (UK) »
AR - you're starting to sound like Annie :D  :o :D

Anyway, the Western Isles are wonderful and Maria has her rellies and a week ago she only knew they might have existed, so that's GOOD.
It's a howling gale though now.

Gadget ;D

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 24 March 06 20:34 GMT (UK) »

AR - you're starting to sound like Annie :D  :o :D

Ah - you obviously hadn't twigged that Annie is my adopted daughter!

;)