Author Topic: Eastbourne 1936 ocklynge  (Read 7566 times)

Offline mnmilt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Eastbourne 1936 ocklynge
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 02:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roger and Val,
Hopefully, I'm not going to confuse you more.  Here are details of the administration of Alfred's will.

Jalland Alfred Gibson of 41 Herbert Road, Wimbledon Surrey died 7 May 1936 at 65 Leamington Avenue Morden Surrey.  Administration London 19 January (1938) to R. N. Limited.  Effects 461 pounds 4s 1d.

The probate details for Josephine are as follows:

Jalland Josephine of 11 Granville Road Eastbourne (wife of Alfred Gibson Jalland) died 2 March 1935.  Probate London 1 July to Thomas David Reeve Solicitor.  Effects 50026 pounds 14s 8d.

Regards

Mark
Milton - Brighton, Eastbourne
Foord - Westham, Ringmer
Sellens/Sellins/Sellings - Sedlescombe, Crowhurst
Cash - Tonbridge, Kent
Harding - Horsham
Bodle - Hailsham, Alfriston
Crowhurst - Hailsham, Westham
Roods/Roads/Rhodes - Hailsham, Westham
Sinnock - Hailsham
Silsby - Brighton
Thomas - Brighton
Tullett - Brighton
Verrall - Sussex

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline William2005

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 03 February 11 00:56 GMT (UK) »
thank you mark.    just hope that josephine's will may clarify a few things and fill in more gaps.

best wishes,

Roger.
Bedfordshire: Wagstaff, Nottingham, Odell, Squires;
Warwickshire: Rugeley;
Worcestershire: Sheldon
Staffordshire: Rugeley

Offline William2005

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 04 February 11 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Valerie,

It may interest you to know about the very recent discovery - Alfred and Josephine were living in Bedford, 1911, with an adopted daughter - named Dorothy Josephine Wagstaff, born in Liverpool.

If this child had been adopted during the lifetime of James Poole Wagstaff, i rather think that some notice of this would have appeared in his Will, as a codicil.  I am assuming that the child was adopted by Josephine between 1903-1906, before she reverted to her married name of Jalland.

There is also a marriage in Bedford, 1941 of a Dorothy Josephine Wagstaff marrying Charles Leslie Crowsley.  I will see what i can find out from the Bedford newspapers for 1941, and if need be get the marriagei certificate.

best wishes,

Roger

Offline mnmilt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 05 February 11 00:06 GMT (UK) »
More information on R.N. Limited

RN Limited is a private nominee company that administers, on behalf of HMRC, an open- ended legal mortgage or charge secured on the property until it can be sold when the taxpayer vacates or dies.

HMRC must agree to an open-ended legal mortgage or charge but once this is agreed no money changes hands and no term is stated in the mortgage agreement.

The taxpayer makes no repayments during their lifetime and the Exchequer receives no money until the property is sold, usually after the taxpayer's death.
Foord - Westham, Ringmer
Cash - Tonbridge, Kent
Harding - Horsham
Sinnock - Hailsham
Silsby - Brighton
Thomas - Brighton
Tullett - Brighton
Verrall - Sussex

Offline mnmilt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 05 February 11 00:17 GMT (UK) »
What started out as a simple inquiry regarding Ocklynge cemetery has turned into a most fascinating story that has had an impact on the law (the definition of a widow) and an interesting insight (at least for me!) into the kind of news stories that were reported in New Zealand in the early 1900s.  The court case regarding the contested will is reported in several newspapers in New Zealand (and no doubt elsewhere but some of the New Zealand newspapers are available on-line).  The reports in the newspapers seem to have sensationalized the events. For example, the Nelson Evening Post of 15 May 1907 implies that Alfred Jalland sold his wife to Wagstaff for 25 pounds!
Foord - Westham, Ringmer
Cash - Tonbridge, Kent
Harding - Horsham
Sinnock - Hailsham
Silsby - Brighton
Thomas - Brighton
Tullett - Brighton
Verrall - Sussex

Offline William2005

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 05 February 11 00:45 GMT (UK) »
thank you for your two messages. i have not found the latter newspaper report you mentioned
; the details regarding your 2nd message is interesting.  I hope that his wife's will sheds light on the tnen situation. As you say it is fascinating how things are moving along.

Offline David2012

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 15 November 12 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone.  From what my historian cousin tells me, I believe this Dorothy Josephine Byrne who married Jalland and Wagstaff is a relative of mine.  In the 1930s my grandmother Mary Elizabeth (Molly) Byrne (and her sister Jane "Jenny", and brother Daniel) each inherited 2500 pounds from a rich aunt.  This enabled my grandmother to get married and buy her home in Dublin.  Only the term "rich aunt" was used with regards to Josephine so I am unsure if she was an aunt or a great aunt of my grandmother.  My grandmother's father, Daniel Byrne, was born abt 1882 and, from what I can see, Josephine was born around 1862.  To me this could either be sister or aunt as it seemed common for people in that era to have children over a period of twenty years.  The fact that Josephine had 50,000 pounds when she died and that a lot of it went to lawyers and such, 2500 pounds seems a lot of money to leave to great-nephews and nieces, so currently I am leaning towards Josephine being my grandmother's aunt but I have yet to find any proof.  Any thoughts, comments, or info would be much appreciated!

David

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 30 March 19 07:56 GMT (UK) »
David2012
 Just recently I’ve been investigating Josephine  Jalland and it turns out that she is my GG aunt as she was Jane Horan aunt your grandmother Mary was my grandmothers Jane sister.
Would you be interested in chatting.
It would seem we are 2nd cousins ?
Regards Val