Author Topic: Officer or not?  (Read 2118 times)

Offline Pilly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Wed on the Rock but not on the Rocks.
    • View Profile
Officer or not?
« on: Saturday 18 March 06 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Another one for the experts....I think the regiment is Somerset Light Infantry...but not sure. As to the rank, no idea, or the date. Has he got a dress uniform on and what colour would that have been?
Pilly ???
PS Now I know where to go to get the answers! :)
Bown/Pearce, Middlezoy, Somerset
Grisley, London, East End
Channing(s), London + Devon + ?
Ball, Dawley, Shropshire
Duce, Shropshire +
Pof(f)ley, Berkshire

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Officer or not?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 March 06 18:59 GMT (UK) »
The collar badge is that of the Somerset Light Infantry - bugle horn suspended from a mural crown with the battle honour "JELLALABAD" in scroll on top of crown, with in the inner space of the string holding the bugle horn are the letters PA this stands for Prince Albert- and he has been award an efficiency star (shown on this sleeve). As I can see no "pips"  on his tabs he is not an officer. Can not help you on the colour of the uniform but as he was in a light Infantry regiment then it would most probably be a dark green colour, having never served in the forces I would only be guessing and say that yes it is his dress uniform.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Pilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 March 06 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Old Rowley...that'll help ..supposed to be an uncle of mine, but never met him. Any age to put on it?..I think he was born 1892ish..possibly 1st WW?It's marvellous you guys know all this .
Timr for dinner.
Thanks again,
Pilly
 :)
Ball, Dawley, Shropshire
Duce, Shropshire +
Pof(f)ley, Berkshire

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 March 06 19:58 GMT (UK) »
my first though was 1930 to 1940 but as you say he was born about 1892ish I would now go for 1925 to 1930 therefore making him between the ages of 33 -38 mind you the wife has just said that he looks more likely to be about 28 years old ...............ah well what do I know ::)

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 March 06 20:02 GMT (UK) »
or first thought even ;D

old rowley

Offline Pilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 March 06 20:13 GMT (UK) »
You know more than I do . I was in The RAF, but the uniform was 'uniform' no regimental differences. My mother reckoned he was an officer, guess she was looking at the pip on the sleeve..memory eh?
Thanks for that, I will nail him down eventually
Pilly
 :)

Ball, Dawley, Shropshire
Duce, Shropshire +
Pof(f)ley, Berkshire

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 March 06 21:00 GMT (UK) »
He may well have been an officer later on in his career in the army. The metal item on his shoulder could have been a pip but I feel that it is the letters SLI. If he was an officer I would have expected to see a Sam Browne on top of his tunic, perhaps Manmac or Harribobs could throw some light on this for you

old rowley

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 March 06 21:46 GMT (UK) »
the star on his arm means he was proficient in rifle drill,these were discontinued in 1936,hes a territorial,private soldier of the somerset light infantry,his collar dogs date him as post ww1,probably 1930/36,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 March 06 21:55 GMT (UK) »
knew I should have stayed with my first guess on the years of 1930 to 1940.......thanks mack

old rowley