Author Topic: New Zealand to QLD Australia  (Read 5641 times)

Offline Fern123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
New Zealand to QLD Australia
« on: Sunday 19 March 06 05:21 GMT (UK) »
I have a couple of ancestors that emigrated from Auckland NZ to Northern QLD  around 1870
How would they have got there ie were there ships direct?
Really unsure where to start looking?
Any advice appreciated
Fern

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New Zealand to QLD Australia
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 March 06 05:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fern

If you give some names and other information about your family someone may be able to help you.

jericho
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fern123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 March 06 05:46 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Jericho,

Im looking for a William FRY born circa 1835 in England who came to NZ and then left around 1870
Also John Torr Holdsworth c1838 who emigrated to NZ & then left also around 1868-70 for North Queensland.

Thanks
Fern

Offline niftynita

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Great GPs, 2 children (incl my GF seated) 1912
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 March 06 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Fern
Perhaps someone can look at the Immigration / Shipping Lists to Queensland at the State Library for you. 
I am not going there for at least a month yet (due to knee surgery) but if you haven't found any info, let me know and I'll look for you when I do go.
Regards Anita
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I live in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia and am always searching for the following in Aust & UK:
DORSET - Moore, Reeks;  WILTSHIRE - Chalk, Elkins; HAMPSHIRE - Chalk, Hack;  DERBYSHIRE - Chadwick;
CUMBERLAND - Armstrong, Pearson;  LONDON/KENT AREA - Frith, Knight; YORKSHIRE - Street (WR), Pearson (NR); SOMERSET - Pickford; 
GLOUCESTERSHIRE - Shearman, Tarling;   SCOTLAND - Street, Low, McNab.

Offline allycat

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The Cantwell Knights of Strongbow 1170
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 March 06 11:10 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Jericho,

Im looking for a William FRY born circa 1835 in England who came to NZ and then left around 1870
Also John Torr Holdsworth c1838 who emigrated to NZ & then left also around 1868-70 for North Queensland.

Thanks
Fern

Dear Fern

In a search of the Assisted Immigrants Arriving Sydney 1860-1879 from State Records of New South Wales, there are 4 William Frys.  There is one born 1837 that came out on the ship 'Earl Dalhousie' with his family.  There's also a John Holdsworth born 1833 that came out with his family on ship 'Switzerland'.  See link below:-

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/asp/searchform.asp?Table=Assisted+immigrants+arriving+in+Sydney%2C+1860%2D79&Surname=fry&First=william%25&Page=

I know this is only part of your question, but I don't know about Queensland searches.  Allycat.
Abrams, Amor, Attwood, Bancroft, Bragier, Brennan, Bryant, Buchan, Cantwell, Cruse, Commins, Cullum, Debus, Denner, Dinner, DuCroix, Flanze, Gilkes, Greaves, Guthiel, Hansford, Hayes, Hokaanga, Homewood, Hoy, Inns, Jahn, King, Knee, Marriner, May, McCarron, McCavel, McCrohon, McFarlane, Merry, Milne, Montgomery, Most, Mott, Orth, Parker, Pine, Roads, Rueping, Sear, Siegner, Stanaway, Voss, Weber, Wheeler, Whitehall, Woodcock

Offline Fern123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 March 06 12:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Allycat thats great!..
Are you in NZ?? I notice in your surname interests you have the names Buchan & Voss?
Funnily I went to school with a Buchan whose married name is Voss..
Fern

Offline allycat

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The Cantwell Knights of Strongbow 1170
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 March 06 14:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Allycat thats great!..
Are you in NZ?? I notice in your surname interests you have the names Buchan & Voss?
Funnily I went to school with a Buchan whose married name is Voss..
Fern

Hey Fern, You're welcome.  Nah, I'm an Aussie married to a Kiwi.  All my Voss' are of German descent from Prussia, and the Buchans naturally Scottish then eventually Irish.  Must watch 'Braveheart' again, hey?

By the way, check out this link to your Holdsworth chappie you were looking for.  Hope one of them is your man.

http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/search/default.asp

This site is the Queensland State Archives.  I live in Queensland and I forgot about it...oops.

Let me know if you have any joy.

Allycat.
Abrams, Amor, Attwood, Bancroft, Bragier, Brennan, Bryant, Buchan, Cantwell, Cruse, Commins, Cullum, Debus, Denner, Dinner, DuCroix, Flanze, Gilkes, Greaves, Guthiel, Hansford, Hayes, Hokaanga, Homewood, Hoy, Inns, Jahn, King, Knee, Marriner, May, McCarron, McCavel, McCrohon, McFarlane, Merry, Milne, Montgomery, Most, Mott, Orth, Parker, Pine, Roads, Rueping, Sear, Siegner, Stanaway, Voss, Weber, Wheeler, Whitehall, Woodcock

Offline slewi4

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 09:06 BST (UK) »
There were 4 main ports in Queensland at that time: Brisbane, Maryborough, Rockhampton and Townsville. I was under the impression that the main port of arrival in Australia from NZ was Melbourne, and have not heard/read of any direct voyages to Qld. So, I suspect that your men arrived via Vic, then took another boat(s?) or travelled overland to their destination. Of course,  I may be wrong on this - the Qld state archives/state library may be able to provide an answer about direct NZ-Qld voyages.
If they died in Qld, the death certificates would tell you how long they had lived in Qld, and this can be used as a start point for examing shipping records. If you're really lucky, there will be obituaries in the local paper and the ship may be named.
Good luck
Sandra
England: Brown Kingscliffe NTH, Ellis Balsall WAR, Lewis Hereford HEF, Oliver Morpeth NBL, Wall Coventry/Balsall WAR, Watkins Eardisley/Clifford HEF
Ireland: Culhane Limerick; Doolan Clare
Wales: Lewis BRE/DEN, Jones Eglwysbach DEN

Offline Fern123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 09:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for this info Sandra!!.. I will check out Victoria! didnt realise this
Fern