Author Topic: MANGAN/GALLIGAN  (Read 2816 times)

Offline rainbowuk

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MANGAN/GALLIGAN
« on: Sunday 19 March 06 16:48 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find more information on my GGG Grandparents, John Mangan and Mary Galligan/Gallighan. They were both born in County Cavan and married in Ireland ( not sure where)in 1842/43. John was born about 1822 and his parents were James Mangan and Susan ( Markies?). Mary was born about 1824 and her parents were Thomas Galligan/Gallighan and Mary (McManus?). I think they came to the UK about 1845 and they settled in Edinburgh. Thanks in advance for any help. Susan
Flucker, Rutherford, Linton all Newhaven, Leith Scotland
Dixon...North Sheilds and Barrow in Furness
Green...Durham and Barrow in Furness
Duffy...Edinburgh
Mangan...Edinburgh and County Cavan , Ireland
Galligan..Edinburgh and County Cavan, Ireland

Offline mcmoran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MANGAN/GALLIGAN
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 February 07 15:47 GMT (UK) »
My gr-gr-grandmother Bridget Gallaghan/Galligan (daughter of Patrick Gallaghan and Mary Quinlan) was born in the parish of Kilmore, Co. Cavan in 1835.  Emigrated to Canada (with parents and numerous siblings) circa 1846-7.  That's not much of a lead, I guess, but you might want to check Kilmore?
Benton, Dunn/Dunne, Hanlon/O’Hanlon, Killeen, Lahey, McGlade, Moran, Ryan, Vallely

Offline rainbowuk

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 March 07 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the tip...have come to a dead end with this one so gives me something else to look into  :)

Susan
Flucker, Rutherford, Linton all Newhaven, Leith Scotland
Dixon...North Sheilds and Barrow in Furness
Green...Durham and Barrow in Furness
Duffy...Edinburgh
Mangan...Edinburgh and County Cavan , Ireland
Galligan..Edinburgh and County Cavan, Ireland

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 February 08 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Susan,

What denomination were your Galligan and Mangan ancestors ? Were they members of the Catholic faith, the Established Church (Anglicans or Church of Ireland), Methodists or possibly Presbyterians?

You'll have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

Christopher

Offline LindaG60

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 November 10 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi    I am a total novice and have just registered today when I saw your message,  but may have some information regarding these families 
 I was looking for other names in Cavan and Leitrim when I saw these.
 My aunt's husband was a William Duffy b 26/11/1921 in Edinburgh   his parents were Joseph Duffy and Jessie Conington (7 children inc William)   Joseph's parents were William Duffy who married a Mary Mangan in 1870 (I have a copy of marriage cert)    Mary's Parents were John Mangan and Mary Galligan.    I have a note of a death of 'James' Mangan born C. Cavan who died 1855 of Typhus who was married to a Mary Calligan and his parents given as James Mangan and Susan Markie          I have a little more information if it is of any interest to you.    You are obviously extremely good at this and may well have this info already as the last message was some time ago.   
Linda