Author Topic: Yeomen Of The Guard records  (Read 5709 times)

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Yeomen Of The Guard records
« on: Wednesday 06 October 04 09:29 BST (UK) »
Need information on where to go to get my Gt Gt Gt Grandfather records. He was a Yeomen Of The Guard and died in 1844 in Westminster. I have emailed PRO and they dont have any of the records or so I was told so dont know where else to go :(

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
Re: Yeomen Of The Guard records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 15:10 BST (UK) »
Shanko,

http://21.1911encyclopedia.org/Y/YE/YEOMEN_OF_THE_GUARD.htm

says they are based in St James Palace,  where most of their records were destroyed in 1809,  so maybe the records are still there.

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 15:49 BST (UK) »
Kazza

I actually sent them an email over 3 months ago and still no reply :( which is why I thought Id put a post up in here.

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 16:27 BST (UK) »
Shanko,

Sorry to hear that.   :(  I have spent a while on this one and can find nothing else of much use to you sorry.  It may be because they are largely ceremonial now,  but they must have some records somewhere surely.  ???

Maybe some other Rootschatters know something we don't?

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline mickgall

• RootsChat Senior
  • Albert Gall 1897-1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Shanko

I've had a few thoughts, and maybe you've already tried these lines of enquiry. The first one is have you tried the Royal Hospital in Chelsea - he would have been an ex soldier and a pensioner so they may hold some records.( Tel: 020 7881 5204)I know you said you have already contacted the PRO but if you know what regiment he was in you should be able to find out some details of his army record and number which will give you some more info to work with.Also how about contacting the MoD, they maybe able to give you some pointers or what about a direct approach to the Tower of London.As a long shot how about The Corps of Comissioners who may have some info, you need to be ex-service to join.Hope some of this helps and good luck
Mick Gall
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

GALL-Norfolk,Cardiff,LondonTHOMAS-London,Herts,
PRIOR-N.Ireland,WOODS-N.Ieland,
DAWKES-Warks,DAVIS-Warkes'Wales,
JENNINGS-Surrey,Warks,London,SHELDRAKE-Essex,London,
BRITTON-Berks,BLAKELEY-Dewsbury W.Yorks

Offline mickgall

• RootsChat Senior
  • Albert Gall 1897-1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 20:09 BST (UK) »
Heres some links that may help

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/army/step4.htm

The National Army Museum may be able to help too

http://www.national-army-museum.ac.uk/

its just around the corner from the Royal Hospital if you ever want to visit

Mick
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

GALL-Norfolk,Cardiff,LondonTHOMAS-London,Herts,
PRIOR-N.Ireland,WOODS-N.Ieland,
DAWKES-Warks,DAVIS-Warkes'Wales,
JENNINGS-Surrey,Warks,London,SHELDRAKE-Essex,London,
BRITTON-Berks,BLAKELEY-Dewsbury W.Yorks

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 October 04 05:17 BST (UK) »
Shanko,

Sorry to hear that.   :(  I have spent a while on this one and can find nothing else of much use to you sorry.  It may be because they are largely ceremonial now,  but they must have some records somewhere surely.  ???

Maybe some other Rootschatters know something we don't?

Kazza.

Kazza
I honestly thought they would of emailed me back :(
Thank you so much for your time looking for me I really appreciate it
Shanko

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 October 04 05:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Shanko

I've had a few thoughts, and maybe you've already tried these lines of enquiry. The first one is have you tried the Royal Hospital in Chelsea - he would have been an ex soldier and a pensioner so they may hold some records.( Tel: 020 7881 5204)I know you said you have already contacted the PRO but if you know what regiment he was in you should be able to find out some details of his army record and number which will give you some more info to work with.Also how about contacting the MoD, they maybe able to give you some pointers or what about a direct approach to the Tower of London.As a long shot how about The Corps of Comissioners who may have some info, you need to be ex-service to join.Hope some of this helps and good luck
Mick Gall

Mick

No I havent tried the Royal chelsea hospital and again I dont know what regiment he was in yet :(
I did know they had to be ex service men, I am now living in Australia so cant go and visit the places, I will however email the ones you mentioned above as I know his birth and death yrs and where he was living. From previous experiences with Army records that wont be enough but worth a try.

Thanks for the info!!!!
:)