Author Topic: Samuel Parker - Swansea BMD/1841/51 look-up.  (Read 8157 times)

Offline Phil Goater

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Harry & Floss
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Parker - Swansea BMD/1841/51 look-up.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Susan for the advice.

I've discovered Louisa Kirchner on the same page on Free BMD as Samuel in an 1848 marriage that fits. Could you check the Swansea 1841 census for any Kirchner families?
Incidentally the Louisa recorded as dying in 1878 wasn't her as the record gives a birth date circa 1853. It's still a mystery as to what happened to the rest of Louisa (junior)'s family after 1861.

Regards,
Phil
Goater, Smith, Henning, Scarlett, Lucas, Abraham, Langdale, Parker, Read, Curtis, Arm, Franklin, Bryant, Hart, Earl, White, Welch, Howard, Bateman, Hutchinson, Hunter, Lawes, Rogers, Brixey......

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil,

No Kirchner's in Wales 1841, have searched all variants of name.

Susan  :)
Herefordshire: Mytton.
Lincs: Ingham
Northants: Knight (Welford); Linnell;  Gaudern.
Staffs (Brierley Hill, Kingswinford): Wood; Eades.
Somerset: Bailey; Lewis
Warwickshire: (Alcester, Henley in Arden) Lewis; Casey/Keasey
Warwickshire (Birmingham suburbs) Knight
Yorkshire (Bradford):  Ingham

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Here is a possible marriage for Sam's parents.

Thomas Parker, Oystermouth, married Mary Ann Rosser, from Swansea on 26 March 1826 in Oystermouth Parish.

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Phil Goater

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Harry & Floss
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Susan and Cas.

I checked the LDS 1881 census and found a Benjamin Kirchner aged 60 born Ireland living in Birmingham so he could be a relation. It proves there were Kirchner's in Ireland who came to the mainland at that time.

With regard to Thomas's wedding what can I say? It seems a good fit but if the LDS information that Samuel was christened on 23/7/1826 at Oystermouth is correct then it must have been a large wedding dress!!!

Thanks again,
Phil
Goater, Smith, Henning, Scarlett, Lucas, Abraham, Langdale, Parker, Read, Curtis, Arm, Franklin, Bryant, Hart, Earl, White, Welch, Howard, Bateman, Hutchinson, Hunter, Lawes, Rogers, Brixey......

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 01:49 GMT (UK) »
but if the LDS information that Samuel was christened on 23/7/1826 at Oystermouth is correct then it must have been a large wedding dress!!!

Thanks again,
Phil

Hi,

I can confirm that the dates you have from the LDS for a Samuel who was christened in Oystermouth is correct. I have a print out from  the archives in Swansea  of  the christenings at All Saints church Oystermouth for all Parkers during that time ( I'm researching Parker's of mumbles/Oystermouth) .

Samuel parker - mother's name MariAnn, father Thomas ,date - 23rd July 1826

The parish records also gives a bit more information than the LDS info  -   the father - Thomas's occupation was Lab and the family's address at the time was in Norton.

There is also this one in the church records too:

Margaret Ann christened  4th may 1828. It's the same details as it says for Samuel  except for the address they were living at  -  father's name Thomas , occupation Lab, Mother's name MaryAnn (  but spelled with a y this time), address at the time - Sketty.
You will need to check the original  parish records in the archives to check the spelling for MariAnn

There are only eight  Parker christenings during this period of time (1700's to early 1900's)  at oystermouth  All saints church , six of them are from the family I'm researching , the other  two , who are not related to mine are  Samuel and  Margaret Parker with father Thomas and mother MariAnn.

I Hope that helps :)

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Phil Goater

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Harry & Floss
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Cell!
                       I can now turn my attention to who may have wielded the shotgun!
I'm interested to note that there is no record of Thomas's christening as the report (above) of his wedding states 'Thomas Parker Oystermouth'. Margaret's christening clearly tallies with the census information.
                       I'm still in the dark with regard to what happened to Samuel and Louisa and the two younger children who feature in the 1861 census and would be very interested to find out more (- but I am delighted with the progress to date!)

Regards,
Phil

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 11:00 GMT (UK) »
This is the only other marriage on the disc that matches name/area.  There are some in Swansea area.  Do not know if related, but my help your search in parish records.  Possible ref for Tom's parents

John Parker Oystermouth, married Margaret Morgan Oystermouth on 27 Oct 1795 at Oystermouth parish.

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Phil Goater

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Harry & Floss
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Cas, the date certainly looks good.
Can Cell add ( or subtract!) anything on this?
It looks very promising.

Phil

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 21:57 GMT (UK) »
This is the only other marriage on the disc that matches name/area.  There are some in Swansea area.  Do not know if related, but my help your search in parish records.  Possible ref for Tom's parents

John Parker Oystermouth, married Margaret Morgan Oystermouth on 27 Oct 1795 at Oystermouth parish.

Cas

you're going into my tree now ;D ( well my hubby's tree) - John Parker and Mary Morgan are my hubby's G,G. G. G grandparents
John parker 1770 and Mary Morgan1776 ( her  parents David Morgan1749 and Margaret 1753) had a son William parker 1802 ( one of their brothers was named Thomas  who was  born around about 1804)  who married Elizabeth Morgan ( William did not Thomas) - another Morgan, just to confuse matters more lol) , who then had a son John parker 1838 (he had only one sister Elizabeth, william the father  died  just inbetween 1838 and 41,( I guess it was at sea, I can't find a death at all , he was mariner) when the children were toddlers. The mother never remarried again  - This John parker was also a  mariner like his father William , and also served time on the Mumbles life boats, lived  all his life in Mumbles/oystermouth ( as did  his next generation, my mum -in-law is still living there today in her father's (fred's) old house which was passed down to her) - () married Catherine ( kate for short) Rogers  - had a daughter Kate (Catherine) Parker  ( I have an old  photo of kate parker  as an old lady) who married George Williams , who had a son Fred Williams ( hubby's granddad)
confused yet?

Parker is a Devon name, they used to come across the water from Illfracombe into Gower, back and fore , mariners  mostly. It is not an old Welsh, or Gower name. It's very "common"  in Devon. There are millions of them over there  .  You may find that Your (phil's ) parker could very well go back into Devon at some point in time , I know my above husband's lot do . Then it's a nightmare to trace them because of the amount of people with a  Parker name in Devon - it's just a short boat ride over them from Oystermouth. You can actually see Devon on a clear day from certain points in Gower.
 :)

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u