Author Topic: Your First Smith?  (Read 9003 times)

Offline Rebecca Steele

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Your First Smith?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 24 March 06 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Reading this I was thinking 'don't think I've got any' then checked my family tree and realised I've got 2 :(

First being my GGGGrandmother Elizabeth Kendrick (nee Smith) not gone down that route yet ..... and the second being my mum's cousins first wife.

Oh well, I think you're right Jill!

Morgan - Herefordshire, Worcestershire * Bullock - Worcestershire * Taylor - Gloucestershire, Worcestershire * Peverill/all/ell - Middlesex, Brighton, Essex * Knee - Gloucestershire, London area * Brenan - Any area * Steele - Dorset<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 25 March 06 08:03 GMT (UK) »
What a great name Kerry, Lovekin, I'm stunned with a name like that that you can't find her family.

Sharon

Unfortunately I think they were a family of tinkers and therefore difficult to find, not every birth, marriage etc registered.  Also when the children were being born they called themselves Smith, by the time they married they became Lovekin, and that was sometimes translated Luffkin.

I've given up for the moment and doing some easier bits.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Keren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 02 April 06 00:00 BST (UK) »
 ;D I have just started again on my family tree, gave up last year with tooooo many brick walls, and have discovered my gr gran smith.....is actually a clarke. so I can go back to 1820 on both sides of my dads family (including branches) and up to 1861 on both sides of my mums family and NOT have a smith brick wall!!  :) (However my missing gr gr gr grandmother could be one living in Ireland)
Callaghan (Ireland,liverpool and st Helens 1840 to 1881.)  Scotland (liverpool pre 1860) Kiernan, Ritchie (Ireland, salford), Clarke ,Barton (salford greengates and Harpurhey/blackley up to 1930) griffiths, Robson, (Barton on Irwell, Irlam and West Midlands)

Offline jjq

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 02 April 06 13:10 BST (UK) »
2 Smith lines so far - gt gt gt grandmother Ann Smith (1829 - 1881 Bushey, Herts) and on a completely different line  - gt gt gt grandmother Elizabeth Smith (died pre 1845 Chelsea, London)

The curious thing is that both married men with the surname Stone (Ann married James, Elizabeth married Noah).

Jan
Hertfordshire - Stone, Wells, Quarry,Claxton
London - Sutton (Southwark/Clerkenwell), Phillips (Clerkenwell), Stone (Chelsea)
Suffolk - Turner & Rogers (Lavenham)
Norfolk - (K)Nobbs & Germany (Norwich)
Middlesex - Shackell
Anywhere - Quarry & variants
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 02 April 06 14:29 BST (UK) »
I was going to say there weren't may, but found 32!

No major lines have smth though.
I was trying to trace Canadian Line and have Dennis W Smith and Ernest Dennis W Smith.

The Double curse is if you have both names very common.

However in some areas an uncommon name can be impossible to trace as it locally the comonest name

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 02 April 06 23:21 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, dont start me on my Smith line.
My mother's maiden name was Smith. After a bit of a struggle I'm back to William Joseph Smith (son of John Smith) born Birmingham c. 1820 - and there endeth my story  ??? ;D :( :-\

A whole side of the tree just begging for attention!

It will just have to wait - far easier roads to travel  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kezlyn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 12:30 BST (UK) »
Grandfather was John Smith. His father William died when he was a child so we had to trace him through military records. He said he was born and raised in Hampshire (and his brother John Thomas, k/a Tom said he was born in south west Surrey). Both of them were actually born and raised in Hackney. Bill and Tom's sibs were Arthur, George, Edith, and Daisy. I thought Daisy Smith might be the easiest one to trace. But, noooooooooo, only about 50,000 of them!

John's son (my uncle) is Peter Smith, and he named his three boys (my cousins) three of the most popular boy's names of the 1970's. Their descendants will NOT thank them!

Kez :)

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 12:34 BST (UK) »
Assuming that you're not actually called Smith, how far back in your family tree did you manage to get before you hit your first Smith?

I wonder if there is a Rootschatter out there who has actually gone back a few generations and has NOT found a Smith?

I'm not sure I'll believe you!!   ::)

Jill

Um I was actually thinking about this.
So far I'm back to the 1760s and even 1685 on some of my lines, and I have absolutely NO Smiths whatsoever!!  (thank goodness) ;D

Burrow Digger
BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 12:39 BST (UK) »
Bet you there'll be one in there somewhere - you're just not looking hard enough!    ;)

Hallelujah! I've just found another one! Not only is she a SMITH but she's a SARAH SMITH and I've already got one of those in a completely separate line. Didn't really want another one! Oh well...

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.