Author Topic: Ford - Roscommon  (Read 4095 times)

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
Ford - Roscommon
« on: Tuesday 21 March 06 23:02 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking for many years, without success, for anything at all about my grandfather, Thomas Ford/e.  He was apparently born in Roscommon in 1873.  He left there and moved over to England when he was 14-18 according to what he told my mam and uncle.  He was apparently in the army, but we have no army number although he did receive two medals through the post, also missing.
My mam has nothing of his, not even a photo. Neither has her brother.
Thomas Ford/e met and married my grandmother Ethel Main around 1917, and they moved to Newcastle where he worked at Vickers Armstrongs, the shipyard.
He went back to Ireland once, in army uniform, and his dad chased him, throwing hot water over him, because of the uniform.  I have tried the Coldstream Guards, where he went to meetings in Newcastle, and they have no record of a Thomas Ford/e.
I found a Thomas Ford on FamilySearch born in 1863 in Roscommon, which would make him 10 years older than he said.  Apart from that, I'm at the end of my tether.  He just didn't want anybody to know his family or past, very peculiar.  Hope somebody can help
Roz 

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Ford - Roscommon
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 April 06 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Roz

Have you had a look at all the usual general resources I tend to suggest?  ;)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,83852.0.html

You could also look at these Roscommon specific sites which may help.

ROSCOMMON CENSUS

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,42087.0.html

DIRECTORIES

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,8544.0.html

GRIFFITHS VALUATION

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,8545.0.html

ROSCOMMON INSTITUTIONS

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,745.0.html

Perhaps you would like to have a look at these resources to see if there is anything that might help you.

Please come back with any further queries or to let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 April 06 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Ticker

Thanks for replying.  I've browsed through most of these posts, but there were some new ones there I hadn't seen.  To be honest, unless I get a concrete date of birth, place of birth, and parent's names etc, I'm a bit stuck right now. 

I've just received my grandfather's death cert today, but as I thought, it doesn't give any clues to his background.  I received army records of a Thomas Ford, from a researcher in Kew, and they turned out not to be my grandfather.  I'm really fed up and don't think I'll ever find out anything to help at the moment.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, if I do get anywhere, I'll let you know.

Rosemary

Offline Ticker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 April 06 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosemary

Yes it can be frustrating - I've been trying to track down my gggg grandfather who was born in Roscommon in about 1790 for the last 15 years!  :-\

Hope you have more success than me!

Best wishes

Ticker

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 April 06 00:00 BST (UK) »
That's round about when I started looking for him!!  I have a file full of letters back from people that I wrote to.  And there's nothing there.  I've paid for a search at Dublin, army records family tree magazines, allsorts of stuff, and still nothing.

I never tried the rest of the family until this year, and have loads of records for them, but still nothing on the one I really wanted.

But I'm not going to give up.  Good luck with your search

Rosemary

Offline Ticker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 April 06 18:07 BST (UK) »
But I'm not going to give up.

Good for you - me neither!  I'll race you!  ;)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 August 07 14:46 BST (UK) »
.  ...  I've just received my grandfather's death cert today, but as I thought, it doesn't give any clues to his background.  I received army records of a Thomas Ford, from a researcher in Kew, and they turned out not to be my grandfather.  ... 

Rosemary,

I know this is a very old post but on another recent thread you mentioned that you are still looking for him (I think) so ...

A search on the National Archives for Thomas FORD or similar combined with Coldstream reveals two medal cards:
1. Thomas Charles FORD, a Private in the Coldstream Guards
2. Thomas FOORD (sic), a Private in the Coldstream Guards and in the Machine Gun Guards.

They can be viewed for a small fee - have you looked at them?

Incidentally, have you tried this query (giving appropriate cross-references) on the Armed Forces board?

JAP

Offline Dibley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 August 07 14:56 BST (UK) »
Subaru,
you have my sympathy.  I've not been searching as long as you have but that brick wall is just no budging.  I've been searching for my grandfather - Patrick Joseph (or John Patrick) Brennan born c. 1889 in Roscommon.  We know nothing about him; his father, William, according to the marriage certificate was a farmer but we don't know the wife's name or whether Joseph had any siblings.  I guess I'll have to book a trip over there sometime....
Best wishes,
Dibley
Ash, Brennan, Burgess, Cornwell, Darlington, Foster, Hepworth, Holland, Holtby, Weeks.