Author Topic: Burial place: Hawick or Cavers?  (Read 6011 times)

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burial place: Hawick or Cavers?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 May 06 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I have very little info on Isabella Aitchison, which is why I am hoping to find an MI for her.  She never married, so Aitchison is her maiden name.  I am very sketchy on birth details, but she must have been born before about 1795 as she had a child in 1811 (possibly born in 1777 - one of the things I am trying to 'prove'  :)).  I have her inventory which is why I can pinpoint her death to 1849.

I am planning a wee trip to the National Archives to check the kirk session records to see if there is mention of the child (obviously born out of wedlock) to try and get more information.  At least I have some info on Isabella, all I have for the father is a (very common) name - nothing else!

Cheers,
Clare
ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 May 06 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna,

You mentioned William Rae and Margaret Grieve in the Hawick, I have a lot of information on Greives in Hawick and not all of it directly relates to me Just wondering if you know who Margaret's Parents where?

Emma

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 May 06 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma, Thanks very much for showing the interest in my Margaret Grieve, unfortunately all I know is that she was married to William Rae (I got this off Violet's death certificate) and that she had a daughter called Violet born about 1805/1806 in I think Teviothead.

Would be very grateful for any help you are able to give me.

Thanks

Anna

Mullon, Fowell, Thornely, Wilding, Lowndes,Gallimore - Cheshire
Routledge, Bell, Gillesby, Armstrong, Forster, Ewart, Nixon, Kennedy,Reay,Wright,Nattrass,Little,Richardson - Cumberland
Winsborough, Hannabus, Copp, Salter, Bray, Williams, Bonney, Creedy, Matthews, Kelner - Devon
Minto, - Durham
Allaker, Fitch,Groom,Queary - Essex
Steeple, Moult, Woodcock - Lancashire
Trafford, Hambleton, Cordon, Sweetman, Goldstraw, Brough, Barton, Dawson, Sutton, Stevenson - Staffordshire
Huess - Somerset

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 May 06 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna,

According to the genuki site, Teviothead parish wasn't established until 1850 (http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/ROX/Teviothead/index.html) so if violet was born in 1805/06 you might have to look in other parishes.

Cheers,
Clare
ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 18 May 06 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Clare, Thanks very much for that, think I have seen that before myself so had a feeling that might be the case.

Thanks again

Anna
Routledge, Bell, Gillesby, Armstrong, Forster, Ewart, Nixon, Kennedy,Reay,Wright,Nattrass,Little,Richardson - Cumberland
Winsborough, Hannabus, Copp, Salter, Bray, Williams, Bonney, Creedy, Matthews, Kelner - Devon
Minto, - Durham
Trafford, Hambleton, Cordon, Sweetman, Goldstraw, Brough, Barton, Dawson, Sutton, Stevenson - Staffordshire
Huess - Somerset

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 18 May 06 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Bougie and Emma, on the 1851 Violet mentions her place of birth as Cavers so don't know if this is a clue as to where she was really born, Teviothead was made up out of parts of Cavers and Hawick, is that right?

Thanks

Anna
Minto, - Durham
Huess - Somerset

Offline bougie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 18 May 06 14:22 BST (UK) »
  hi everyone
  on my gt grandmothers birth cert it has teviothead as place of birth in
   1847. so if violet was born at cavers in 1851 i think maybe we should be looking more in the hobkirk or cavers areas. teviothead came under the parishes of hawick ans cavers until it received its own minister in 1833.
    bougie
Bouglas, Hogg, Crozier,Selkirkshire.; Duff,Berwickshire. Hogarth,Berwickshire.; Short,Blythe,Moore and Sproat, Ettrick;  Offord,Gould,Essex; Mcvittie,Langholm.;Armstrong,Chambers, Cononbie.
Moore,Ewes Dumfriesshire;

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 18 May 06 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hi bougie, just to save confusion, it did say on the 1851 that Violet was born in Cavers but she was born about 1805/1806/1807 I think.

Anna
Minto, - Durham
Huess - Somerset

Offline bougie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 18 May 06 19:37 BST (UK) »
  hi anna
 dont know if you got my last message .i do have access to mi's for yarrow . meanwhile the only violet rae i can find in the area was born in yarrow to william rae and margaret elliot on 30:12:1806. could this be the one.
 hi clare i am still on the hunt for your isabella aitchison she's hard to track down . are you sure she never married after the birth of her son.
  bougie
Bouglas, Hogg, Crozier,Selkirkshire.; Duff,Berwickshire. Hogarth,Berwickshire.; Short,Blythe,Moore and Sproat, Ettrick;  Offord,Gould,Essex; Mcvittie,Langholm.;Armstrong,Chambers, Cononbie.
Moore,Ewes Dumfriesshire;