Author Topic: Carluke cemetery?? HALLIDAY  (Read 14148 times)

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Carluke cemetery?? HALLIDAY
« on: Wednesday 22 March 06 20:02 GMT (UK) »
It seems several or more HALLIDAY and perhaps DICK relatives are buried in the Carluke churchyard... mid to late 1800s. Does anyone know of an online MI resource or look-up? These were miner families and I don't know what kind of stone they would have been able to errect or if they would be readable...

much thanks

ard
CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Carluke cemetery?? HALLIDAY
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 March 06 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I don't know anywhere that you can find them online.  However, if you are based in Glasgow (or can get there easily) they appear to be available at the Mitchell Library.  Alternatively, there is a collection of Lanarkshire MIs that are published by the Scottish Genealogy Society, which might have what you are looking for.  I found this at http://www.gwsfhs.org.uk/publications.asp

I hope this helps a little.

Cheers,
Clare
ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 March 06 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

If you can find out what Boneyard they are in Carluke (I think that there is only one) and can get their exact location I don't mind getting you a wee picture.

Swally

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 March 06 18:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your kind offer, Swally. I unfortunately have little other than: buried Carluke Cemetery/churchyard. Having walked through cemeteries looking for ancestor's MIs before, I know it can be a daunting task, unless the cemtery is small or all the stones are lined in perfect rows!! These were miner families and I really have no idea what kind of stone they would be able to afford even.

These would be burials around the mid to late 1800s (and possibly before & after)  What I have found about cemeteries in Carluke is:
Carluke Carluke (Old Cemetery), Carnwarth Road
Carluke Carluke Cemetery, Carnwath Road
Carluke St Lukes Cemetery, Thomson Street
My guess would be the "old cemetery" but I don't know. Being of Canada (far enough away!) "old" might have a different meaning to me. An old cemetery in Scotland might be too old???

Clare, I will look at the link, thank you. It will be a few years before I can indulge in trip to Scotland!

cheers,
ard

CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 March 06 19:32 BST (UK) »
Ard,

I am but a stone throw away in Wishaw, Scotland about 5 miles from Carluke the home town of my wife.  Why don't you write to them and see if the can do a look up ?

Wishing you all the best,

Swally

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 March 06 19:50 BST (UK) »
The first two Boneyards that you mentioned are one in the same.
This is a very neat Boneyard and appears to be well organised, we have kin folk buried there ourselves

The Thompson Street one I think has been used for many a year.
Why don't you go onto Sctlandspeople.gov.uk and search for their births/marriages & deaths.  It is cheap, cost six GBP for 30 credits and it will cost 1 credit to look at a search and five credits to download an image.
Thus it works out if you do your homework just one pound twenty five pence (once you include your search) per certificate.

The births you can get on line from 1855 - 1905
The marriages from 1855 - 1926
The deaths from 1855 - 1954

If you PM me with names I 'll have wee look on another site that I can access.  Do you defo know that they were from Carluke?

WISHING YOU ALL THE BEST,

Swally

Offline pearl dick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 October 07 13:54 BST (UK) »
hi just seen your note a year late but hey whats a year when we are talking 150 i stay in carluke the old cemetry as swally says are both the same Thomson street is the gate into the graveyard and it runs along Carnwath road the only other graveyard in Wilton Road
and it isnt that old.  CArluke historical society have the South Lanarkshire cemetry records on disc and they are based in Hamilton Street
Carluke ML8 4HA  I paid a visit to old yard o few weeks ago and the stones that are there are not good.  looking at the small amount left we must have buried the dead in the back gardens because the yard is not over flowing.  We are from the Dicks mid 1800 miners
from kilncadzow which comes under Carluke although a few miles from the actual town.  They mined the limeworks in that area now the area in mostly farm land no mines to be seen.  We are from the Dicks roughsdyke farm Braehead David Dick being the father,  I have researched this line so if can be of help let us know.  Hallidays are still in carluke.  There were alot of Dick families in CArluke at that time and dont seem to be related.  As i said the miners came from Braehead about 4 miles from Kilncadzow and the other families were Mill owners the mill still stands.  Happy hunting

pearl Dick

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 October 07 05:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Pearl - Thank- you for responding. I only can afford to build the tree in drips and drabs so indeed a year is not very significant!

And yes I notice that you have Dick as a surname. What I've been able to determine of the Dick branch of my family ends (starts?) with Elizabeth Dick who married John Halliday.

Elizabeth, my ggg grandmother may have been born at Barony born between 1807 & 1812. From her death info of 1875, it appears her parents were  Ambrose Dick and Elizabeth Stevenson. She had a brother James. Other siblings may have been Christian, Agness, Margaret and Mary all born somewhere in Lanark except for James who appears to have been born at Kilmarnock, Ayrshire. One of my great aunts thought the Dick family had been from Stirling but she may have been mistaken - she was very old at the time. Although they seemed to have lived around Wishaw, many apprear to have been buried at Carluke, which I understand is quite close by?

You'd think with a name like Ambrose, I could find more on him! Given that for the most part, the naming of children in the families seemed to have followed the scottish naming system quite faithfully, I found it interesting that none of the children or grandchildren seemed to have been given the name Ambrose and I'm wondering if he also went by another name.

The surname Dick seemed to have been used as a middle name for several descendants and for several subsequent generations - and even my grandmother's sister had been named Elizabeth Dick Ferguson after her maternal great grandmother (my grandmother had been named for her paternal great grandmother: Jane Frew!)

So that is pretty much what I have!

cheers,
ard

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 October 07 05:41 BST (UK) »
Wally - thank you for your responses. I'm wondering if I had somehow missed them, it's not like me not to respond :o! Hopefully I did mail you.!
cheers,
ard