Author Topic: Carluke cemetery?? HALLIDAY  (Read 14145 times)

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Carluke cemetery?? HALLIDAY
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 October 07 09:33 BST (UK) »
1 birth record on SP

04/10/1822 DICK MARGARET born to AMBROSE DICK/ELIZABETH STEVENSON  Glasgow

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 October 07 10:38 BST (UK) »
Marriage record

30/03/1806 DICK AMBROSE married ELISABETH STEVENSON at  Glasgow

Possible birth record for Ambrose (note spelling)

10/05/1778 DICK AMBROS born to DAVID OR WILLIAM DICK and ELIZABETH BLAIR at Larbert /STIRLING

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 October 07 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Ard, I have had a look through what Cambusnethan burial records I have, here's what I found. -
Buried in Section C No.73 of the new cemetery are the following -

JAMES DICK, moulder, Wishaw, unmarried, aged 59 years.
Parents - Ambrose Dick and Elizabeth Stevenson.
Interred 3rd Nov 1880.

CATHERINE HALLIDAY, child, Wishaw, aged 2 months.
Parents - John Halliday and Elizabeth McLennan.
Interred 17th Feb 1885.

JANE ALLAN, Allanton Colliery, aged 81, widow.
Parents - John Smith. (no mother given).
Interred 18th Oct 1893.

STILL BORN CHILD McPHAIL. Wishaw.
Parents - Archibald McPhail and Jeanie Leggate.
Interred 13th Oct 1890.

MARY HALLIDAY, housewife, Overtown, aged 66, married.
Parents - William Allan and Jane Smith.
Interred 17th Feb 1914.

ROBERT HALLIDAY, coalminer, Roseview Overtown, aged 71, widower.
Parents - John Halliday and Elizabeth Dick.
Interred 15th Dec 1916.
(All the above are in one grave - C 73).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
All of the following are buried in the same grave in the Old Churchyard at Cambusnethan.  The owner of the grave is listed as Archibald Littlejohn.

MARION PATERSON LITTLEJOHN, child, Bush. Aged 22 months.
Parents - David Littlejohn and Margaret Halliday.
Interred 11th Nov 1865.

ELIZABETH B D LITTLEJOHN, child, Wishaw, aged 13 years.
Interred 1st April 1868.

ARCHIBALD LITTLEJOHN, coalminer, Wishaw, aged 18 years.
Interred 18th July 1868.

MARGARET LITTLEJOHN, housewife, Wishaw, aged 79 years.
Parents - John Halliday and Elizabeth Blair Dick.
Interred 15th May 1911.
From the little records there are of the old churchyard, only late 19th century upwards  -
Lair (plot) owner Archibald Littlejohn.
Interred - (all with surname Littlejohn)
MARGARET aged 9 years, 1st April 1882.
WILLIAM aged 22 years, 25th April 1883.
MARION aged 73 years, 12th Nov 1886.
MARGARET W H aged 9 years, 15th March 1898.
MARGARET aged 79 years, 15th May 1911.

_ _ _

Also, interred in grave 1502 section A of new cemetery -
JOHN HALLIDAY, coalminer, aged 69 years.
40 Shand Street Wishaw.
Parents - John Halliday and Elizabeth Dick.
Interred 18th Oct 1916.
Owner of plot -
Elizabeth Anderson or Halliday 40 Shand St wishaw.

-----------------------------------------------
This will give you something to be going on with  :)

Good luck,

Lodger.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 October 07 19:22 BST (UK) »
This is actually very exciting information, all of it! More than I realized at first glance.

SANCTI - that birth for Ambros(e) Dick is particularily interesting as it connects with the Stirling of my g aunt's memory.I like that! I had found marriage and some birth info via the IGI but not that information. Their daughter Elizabeth's first child was named David, so I'd vote for that being the name of Ambrose's father. William and David are quite different, it must have been very difficult to read.
Anyway that information opens new doors, for sure and it is further strengthened by the burial information of Margaret Halliday: parents John Halliday and Elizabeth Blair Dick!!

LODGER Also very interesting, especially when I don't recognise some of the people -yet, if they are in the same plot, a connection is there! I have LEGGAT ancestor of Cambusnethan - Agnes Halliday married James Leggat there and it is where most of their children were born. Although this Leggat family moved to Harrington in Cumberland Eng. after 1871, there was a fair bit of movement of the families between the two areas -

JAMES DICK, was my ggg grandmother Elizabeth's brother.

The father of Catherine Halliday, John, was a son of Elizabeth Dick and John Halliday.

I hadn't come across the ALLAN connection I'm guessing it is from Mary! Robert Halliday (another son of Elizabeth Dick Halliday married a Mary (I had no maiden name for her in my database so now I think I do!)

John and Elizabeth (Dick) did have a daughter Margaret Halliday born around 1832. It must be that she married David LITTLEJOHN. I especially am thrilled to see her parents names as John Halliday and Elizabeth Blair Dick which ties in so neatly with who Sancti found for parents of Ambrose Dick - the mother's name Elizabeth BLAIR.

Luckly I had some info on the McPhail stillborn  or I would have been stumped! Not so long ago I found out that Agnes (Halliday) Leggat's daughter Jeannie (nee Jane Frew Leggat) had first married Archibald McPhail. This still born may have been their only child. Archi died in 1896 and Jeannie remarried (I had previously only known of the second marriage).

It is wonderful that the names of plot owners are included. It actually gives a ton of information. I'm wodering what the owner of the plot for John Halliday was Elizabeth Anderson or Halliday 40 Shand St wishaw. Was it that she had two names. I think John's wife's maiden name was McLennen...

The image of the puzzle is certainly becoming clearer!

Thank you so much!

ard

CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 October 07 20:04 BST (UK) »
4 births recorded on SP

1 05/09/1810 DICK CHRISTIAN born to AMBROSE DICK/ELISABETH STEVENSON FR2120 at Glasgow GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/001 0200 0520

2 10/07/1813 DICK JAMES born to AMBROSE DICK/ELIZA STEVENSON FR1040 CHILD 4 at Kilmarnock (Ayr) /AYR 597/ 0040 0226

3 04/10/1822 DICK MARGARET born to AMBROSE DICK/ELIZABETH STEVENSON FR3726at Glasgow GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/001 0310 0131

4 10/04/1825 DICK MARY born to AMBROSE DICK/ELISABETH STEVENSON FR971 at Shotts /LANARK 655/ 0040 0079

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 October 07 20:26 BST (UK) »
THe name Ambrose certainly does help!!

The IGI also has a record of an Agness batch C190871

AGNESS DICK 
 Christening:  02 APR 1820   Hutchesontown Relief Church, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
  Father:  AMBROSE DICK
  Mother:  ELISBEATH STEVEN

Because James was the 4th child, I figured that since Elizabeth and Christian came before James and the others after, there must  also have been an unknown in between. I don't know the names of Elizabeth Stevenson's father (perhaps Christian?) but I'm thinking this unknown child could have been named David, after Ambrose's father (if that was in fact his name)

Interestingly there doesn't seem to be a record for Elizabeth (Blair) Dick who was born sometime between  1807 & 1812 (census ages vary). It was her death information that let me know that her parents were the same as those above.

I just had a thought - perhaps she was born in Stirlingshire also, although census info points to Barony.

I say it's interesting because I can't find her daughter Agnes' birth info either - I often seem to have more luck with siblings of my direct ancestors!! Agnes was b. around 1842, apparently at Cambusnthan.

cheers,
ard

CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 October 07 21:28 BST (UK) »
I found this on the IGI - I'm glad to see that not all David and Margaret (Halliday) Littlejohn's children died young! I was beginning to get that impression from the burial info. Still how hard it must have been. So many deaths were also a result of the work in the mine's...

Batch Number: C116281

1. MARGARET WILLIAMSON LITTLEJOHN - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Birth: 13 DEC 1872 Cambusnethan, Lanark, Scotland

2. JOHN HALLIDAY LITTLEJOHN - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Birth: 10 JUN 1857 Cambusnethan, Lanark, Scotland

3. DAVID HALLIDAY LITTLEJOHN - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Birth: 29 AUG 1866 Cambusnethan, Lanark, Scotland

4. ELIZABETH BLAIR DICK LITTLEJOHN - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Birth: 05 JAN 1855 Cambusnethan, Lanark, Scotland

5. WILLIAM LITTLEJOHN - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Birth: 07 OCT 1860 Cambusnethan, Lanark, Scotland

6. MARION PATERSON LITTLEJOHN - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Birth: 05 JAN 1864 Cambusnethan, Lanark, Scotland

7. JAMES LITTLEJOHN - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Birth: 07 JUN 1870 Cambusnethan, Lanark, Scotland 

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 October 07 01:16 BST (UK) »
Ard, "Elizabeth Anderson or Halliday" is a legal expression.  One would be her maiden anme, the other her married name.  In this case I would imagine that Anderson was her maiden surname.

Christian was a female name here in Scotland at that time. It later became Christina.

Regards,

Lodger.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 October 07 01:54 BST (UK) »
Oh - yes I guess I had noted that Christian was female - I just forgot!

I had wondered if Elizabeth (Dick) Halliday had remarried as I found this

ELIZABETH DICK
    Spouse:  WILLIAM ANDERSON
  Marriage:  02 DEC 1862   Cambusnethan, Lanark, Scotland
 Batch No.:   M116281 

The only reason I would consider this is that her son John (I believe it is her son since the age fits) is in a plot owned by Elizabeth Anderson or Halliday 40 Shand St wishaw

However  there is not sign that she had another surname in the 1871 census nor is William Anderson isn't mentioned on  her death record, only John Halliday...

If I understand correctly, women kept their maiden names in Scotland, at least up until a certain time when the custom changed. Do you know if that is right?

cheers,
ard